Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 44

Thread: Pace

  1. #1
    Cricket Spectator
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    England
    Posts
    45

    Pace

    I am a quick bowler and have been told that because im am tall that i should have a high leap dsuring my action the problem with this although it gives me accuracy i cant bowl as quick like it. When i bowl with a normall leap i can genearte more pace but spray the odd ball down the leg-side.

    Is the few wides worth the etxtra pace or is accuracy more important?

  2. #2
    Hall of Fame Member Goughy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    All Over
    Posts
    15,100
    My simple and none commital (sp?) answer would be, it depends on your age.

    The extra pace is worth the extra wides if you are still young.

    The key to good fast bowling is adding accuracy to pace rather than the other way around. ie Bowl quick and then try to get more accurate rather tha trying to get the accuracy and then adding pace.

    The reason is that if you try and get the accuracy first then you end up developing an action that is hard to bowl your fastest with.

    I would always be wary of changing a leap as its important an action feels natural and any tweaking with the leap can make the action feel awkward and is a major adjustment.

    Accuracy is often down to the left arm. Without seeing you bowl its hard to say for sure, but try running in hard and the normal action but bring the left arm down (front arm) when bowling down the line off of stump (ie almost choppong off stump in half)

    The right arm follows what the left arm does and if the body, runup and left arm are going down the line of off stump then that is where the ball should go.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

    West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

    Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

    Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

  3. #3
    Cricket Spectator
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    England
    Posts
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    My simple and none commital (sp?) answer would be, it depends on your age.

    The extra pace is worth the extra wides if you are still young.

    The key to good fast bowling is adding accuracy to pace rather than the other way around. ie Bowl quick and then try to get more accurate rather tha trying to get the accuracy and then adding pace.

    The reason is that if you try and get the accuracy first then you end up developing an action that is hard to bowl your fastest with.

    I would always be wary of changing a leap as its important an action feels natural and any tweaking with the leap can make the action feel awkward and is a major adjustment.

    Accuracy is often down to the left arm. Without seeing you bowl its hard to say for sure, but try running in hard and the normal action but bring the left arm down (front arm) when bowling down the line off of stump (ie almost choppong off stump in half)

    The right arm follows what the left arm does and if the body, runup and left arm are going down the line of off stump then that is where the ball should go.
    Well im only 13 so ill do what you said and focus on my pace and then get the accuracy, and just curiostity but what is considered a good pace for my age?

  4. #4
    Cricketer Of The Year Manee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Heaven
    Posts
    8,433
    Quote Originally Posted by Treeny View Post
    Well im only 13 so ill do what you said and focus on my pace and then get the accuracy, and just curiostity but what is considered a good pace for my age?
    I doubt you have access to a speed gun but:

    45mph - Fine
    50mph - Good pace
    55mph - Very good pace
    60mph - Excellent pace
    65mph - Quick county pace
    70mph - International pace
    The speed at which a fielding team gets through the innings is overrated.


  5. #5
    Hall of Fame Member Goughy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    All Over
    Posts
    15,100
    Quote Originally Posted by Treeny View Post
    Well im only 13 so ill do what you said and focus on my pace and then get the accuracy, and just curiostity but what is considered a good pace for my age?
    It depends. Take your lead from the batsmen that face you. If they struggle, hop around and back away then that is plenty pace enough.

    The quickest 13 yr old Ive ever seen, was in a game I umpired and he amazed everyone there. The boy was lightening.

    We put a decent estimate (though you can never be specific) of around 125 kph (approx 77 mph).

    He took a wicket with his first ball, but finished with 3 overs 1 for 36 in his first spell.

    A combination of a coach and captain not being able to set the correct field (he had 5 slips and 2 gullys) and facing a quality bat that wasnt overly scared of him and played through the line.

    High pace at 13 is great for scaring averagep layers but I wouldnt worry too much about being top bracket as good players will still find way to score runs.

    The flip side is that although this kid went at around 12 an over, all everyone could do was rave about him and talk about him for the next week or 2. There is no doubt fast bowling is sexy
    Last edited by Goughy; 09-10-2007 at 01:31 PM.

  6. #6
    International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Bitch please, I'm from West Yorkshire
    Posts
    14,988
    Christ, that's pretty fast for a 13 year old, the fastest junior I've faced is around 72-3mph, and he was way quicker than anyone else in the match.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

  7. #7
    Hall of Fame Member Goughy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    All Over
    Posts
    15,100
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixFire View Post
    Christ, that's pretty fast for a 13 year old, the fastest junior I've faced is around 72-3mph, and he was way quicker than anyone else in the match.
    It was a high level game and he was still yards quicker than the other quicks on either side, who themselves were not slow

  8. #8
    International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Bitch please, I'm from West Yorkshire
    Posts
    14,988
    How big was he? As far as height and build went.

  9. #9
    Hall of Fame Member Goughy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    All Over
    Posts
    15,100
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixFire View Post
    How big was he? As far as height and build went.
    Small and light. 5'5" maybe and athletic build but skinny. Couldnt guess weight.

    Left arm over, he sprinted in of 20-25 yards and was jaw droppingly quick.

    The wicket he got 1st ball, I was standing at his end umpiring. The wind from him going past me into delivery stride suprised and startled me and possibly scared me a little
    Last edited by Goughy; 09-10-2007 at 01:47 PM.

  10. #10
    International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Bitch please, I'm from West Yorkshire
    Posts
    14,988
    Haha, so it was all in his action and pace attacking the crease?

  11. #11
    Cricket Spectator
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    England
    Posts
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by Manee View Post
    I doubt you have access to a speed gun but:

    45mph - Fine
    50mph - Good pace
    55mph - Very good pace
    60mph - Excellent pace
    65mph - Quick county pace
    70mph - International pace
    Thanks Manee the estimation my mates said for me was around 50-55 mph which im quite pleased for as the estimation for me at the start of the season was 45-48 mph and this is in my first season. Thanks for the info.

  12. #12
    Cricket Spectator
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    England
    Posts
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixFire View Post
    Christ, that's pretty fast for a 13 year old, the fastest junior I've faced is around 72-3mph, and he was way quicker than anyone else in the match.
    The quickest iv faced was around 65 mph from a 15 year old who was bowling slower at me because it was only nets, but still i wasnt very comfortable.

  13. #13
    International 12th Man neville cardus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    1,677
    I've faced 140kph before. Surprisingly, I could see and follow the ball quite comfortably, but the reflexes were left behind somewhat.
    Cheers,
    Rodney Ulyate

  14. #14
    Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    17,227
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    It depends. Take your lead from the batsmen that face you. If they struggle, hop around and back away then that is plenty pace enough.

    The quickest 13 yr old Ive ever seen, was in a game I umpired and he amazed everyone there. The boy was lightening.

    We put a decent estimate (though you can never be specific) of around 125 kph (approx 77 mph).

    He took a wicket with his first ball, but finished with 3 overs 1 for 36 in his first spell.

    A combination of a coach and captain not being able to set the correct field (he had 5 slips and 2 gullys) and facing a quality bat that wasnt overly scared of him and played through the line.

    High pace at 13 is great for scaring averagep layers but I wouldnt worry too much about being top bracket as good players will still find way to score runs.

    The flip side is that although this kid went at around 12 an over, all everyone could do was rave about him and talk about him for the next week or 2. There is no doubt fast bowling is sexy
    I played with Paul Spence in Under 14's and he was sharp too...he used to play Under 14's in the morning and First Grade in the afternoon. Not sure exactly how fast, but scary enough. He ended up playing Australian Under 19's I think.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

    R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

    R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

    Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

    "How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New York, New York
    Posts
    953
    i know a good system to work out someone's pace with no speed guns or stop watches.

    Find somebody who is not a cricket expert, ask them how fast the bowler in question bowls, then reduce that by about 20-25 km/h

    There was a 17 year old who played for my club, hes now gone to the top club in Brisbane and is representing the QLD U17 team.

    Our A Grade captain who went to the academy estimated his pace around 118-120. And this guy is 6'1, lean and muscular and has perfect technique.

    I doubt some 13 year old could bowl faster than him, I really do. Theres a 13 year old in our club atm and he comes to senior training sometimes and he troubles senior batsman in lower grades, hes quick but mainly cause hes wildly inaccurate.

    About 2-3 years ago when I was about 15 someone told me I bowled 125 km/h, which I knew was bogus.

    People see the likes of Hoggard on tv who bowls 128 or there abouts and say...uhh hes not that fast, but then if you watched him in real life, close up bowling in the nets you would say hes lightning quick.

    But I mean the ideal bowler is quickish and is accurate, not 160+ km/h and spraying it everywhere.

    Look who the best bowler of all time is - McGrath, he was never that quick and yet he was the most dangerous bowler in the world

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Top 10 Pace Bowlers Ever
    By grant28 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 113
    Last Post: 03-10-2007, 02:06 PM
  2. Worst Pace trio ever??
    By cozmiccoyoete in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-03-2005, 04:15 AM
  3. indian pace
    By Salamuddin in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 72
    Last Post: 30-12-2003, 04:04 AM
  4. Best Pace Bowler
    By Tim in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 78
    Last Post: 04-10-2002, 10:34 AM
  5. For those who lack a pace attack.
    By Graham in forum World Club Cricket
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-09-2002, 10:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •