Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 44 of 44

Thread: Pace

  1. #31
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Matteh's Avatar
    Boredmeeting Champion!
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Midlands
    Posts
    22,939
    Quote Originally Posted by iamdavid View Post
    In the lower grades that sort of bowler generally seems to be far more succesful (with wicket-taking atleast) than a seamer of reasonable pace and quality.
    Because the batsman try to go after them, arent good enough and make a mess of it.

    Whereas if you bowl an excellent outswinger on off stump at 65mph the batsman simply isnt good enough to nick it...and on the rare occasion he is the slips arent good enough to catch it.
    Hate it when that happens. Decided to bowl more wicket to wicket than the outside off line i was bowling before because of it. Purely to bring bowled/lbw back into play. Worked a treat against Liverpool Uni.
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    3. Although Cow Tipping is a hilarious student game in backwater towns such as Bangor, there really is no need for Mitchell to cover one side of the cow in superglue

  2. #32
    International Debutant iamdavid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    2,112
    Quote Originally Posted by Matteh View Post
    Hate it when that happens. Decided to bowl more wicket to wicket than the outside off line i was bowling before because of it. Purely to bring bowled/lbw back into play. Worked a treat against Liverpool Uni.
    Yeah its funny how different sorts of bowling works in different grades, eg a half volley angling into middle and leg in first grade is absolute tripe and will be dispatched anyday of the week, however in 5th grade its a serious wicket-taking ball particularly if it swings a bit.
    Generally the worse the batsman the straighter you bowl.

  3. #33
    Hall of Fame Member Goughy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    still scratching around in the same old hole
    Posts
    15,131
    Its interesting. The 1st time I dropped down a level for money ie changed leagues (equiv of like from 1st grade to 2nd grade) I was advised to pitch it up and try and bowl them as they wouldnt be able to handle the pace.

    Well that was possibly the worst advice I ever got regarding cricket. Trying to hit the stumps every ball instead of my normal length led to me leaking a lot of runs.

    Simply they found it easier to play the full ball than the ball a bit shorter. Annoyed the hell out of me, but at the same time taught me some respect for guys I assumed were worse than they actually were.
    Last edited by Goughy; 13-10-2007 at 11:06 AM.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

    West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

    Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

    Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

  4. #34
    Cricketer Of The Year Manee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Heaven
    Posts
    8,433
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    Its interesting. The 1st time I dropped down a level for money ie changed leagues (equiv of like from 1st grade to 2nd grade) I was advised to pitch it up and try and bowl them as they wouldnt be able to handle the pace.

    Well that was possibly the worst advice I ever got regarding cricket. Trying to hit the stumps every ball instead of my normal length led to me leaking a lot of runs.

    Simply they found it easier to play the full ball than the ball a bit shorter. Annoyed the hell out of me, but at the same time taught me some respect for guys I assumed were worse than they actually were.
    That is an interesting anecdote, may I ask how quick you are, approximately? Dean Headley plays in the same league (or did for the last three or four years, they got promoted this year) as my club's 1st XI (3rd division) and he only operates around 70mph but he pitches it full on a good length on off stump and averages around 8 with the ball because in that area, seam movement away will catch the edge and inwards will trap people LBW and batsmen are not good enough to get long strides or drive on the up. At lower levels, the key is to bowl full, but by no means bowl overpitched or half volleys as anyone can drive you then.
    The speed at which a fielding team gets through the innings is overrated.


  5. #35
    Hall of Fame Member Goughy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    still scratching around in the same old hole
    Posts
    15,131
    Quote Originally Posted by Manee View Post
    That is an interesting anecdote, may I ask how quick you are, approximately?
    I wouldnt like to guess as that is what it would be, a guess. Fair to say though well over the 70 mph you mention.

    I dont swing it around or seam it too much though
    Last edited by Goughy; 13-10-2007 at 03:03 PM.

  6. #36
    Cricketer Of The Year Manee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Heaven
    Posts
    8,433
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    I wouldnt like to guess as that is what it would be, a guess. Fair to say though well over the 70 mph you mention.

    I dont swing it around or seam it too much though
    Interesting. If you do not swing it or seam it, may I recommend holding it cross seam so you can get uneven bounce.

  7. #37
    Hall of Fame Member Goughy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    still scratching around in the same old hole
    Posts
    15,131
    Quote Originally Posted by Manee View Post
    Interesting. If you do not swing it or seam it, may I recommend holding it cross seam so you can get uneven bounce.
    Holding it cross seam isnt a bad idea, apart from your teammates and captain want to kill you for scuffing the ball up and taking the shine away for the other bowlers.

    Holding cross seam can get big away seam movement as well.

  8. #38
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Matteh's Avatar
    Boredmeeting Champion!
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Midlands
    Posts
    22,939
    Yeah i'd kill you for that. Need that shine damnit.

  9. #39
    Global Moderator vic_orthdox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    25,221
    Quote Originally Posted by iamdavid
    I've found against the bowling machine the ball always seems to be somewhat quicker than it is because you always pick it up later, there is no hand to watch and keep sight of the ball it just pops out of the hole and you dont properly pick it up until a couple of yards later than if it were a bowler.
    Also where the bowlers arm is at release somewhat telegraphs the length of the ball and I reckon alot of batsman subconciously pick up on that, you dont get that with the bowling machine.
    Completely agree with all of that.

  10. #40
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New York, New York
    Posts
    953
    Quote Originally Posted by Clarence View Post
    name?

    Jason Fenwick, he plays for Beenleigh Logan, he is a local boy from my town, he basically blitzed A grade batsman in their prime when he was 17 or 18. He went to Brisbane at the start of this season so you might not know him.

  11. #41
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New York, New York
    Posts
    953
    I agree, I have faced the bowling machine and asked what the speed was, the guy said it was C grade pace....I said no way its C grade pace, as I have faced A Reserve bowlers who bowl as quick as what I was facing. Youre right its because the ball is hard to pick up because you dont watch the ball out of the hand, so you pick it up later.

    And we have a saying in my club - **** gets wickets.

    I have seen so many people get out to absolute pus deliveries, yet someone bowling well doesnt get any.

    weaker batsmen tend to see a loopy ball and smack it, but theyre usually caught in the outfield or top edge it or something, where as if they see a good ball they will try and defend it and not get out.

    As you go up the grades, if you bowl pus you will get absolutely clobbered.

  12. #42
    Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Oxford, England
    Posts
    26,857
    Quote Originally Posted by bond21 View Post
    I agree, I have faced the bowling machine and asked what the speed was, the guy said it was C grade pace....I said no way its C grade pace, as I have faced A Reserve bowlers who bowl as quick as what I was facing. Youre right its because the ball is hard to pick up because you dont watch the ball out of the hand, so you pick it up later.

    And we have a saying in my club - **** gets wickets.

    I have seen so many people get out to absolute pus deliveries, yet someone bowling well doesnt get any.

    weaker batsmen tend to see a loopy ball and smack it, but theyre usually caught in the outfield or top edge it or something, where as if they see a good ball they will try and defend it and not get out.

    As you go up the grades, if you bowl pus you will get absolutely clobbered.
    I think that saying goes a lot further than your club!
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

    Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

    Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

  13. #43
    Hall of Fame Member Goughy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    still scratching around in the same old hole
    Posts
    15,131
    Quote Originally Posted by bond21 View Post
    And we have a saying in my club - **** gets wickets.

    I have seen so many people get out to absolute pus deliveries, yet someone bowling well doesnt get any.

    weaker batsmen tend to see a loopy ball and smack it, but theyre usually caught in the outfield or top edge it or something, where as if they see a good ball they will try and defend it and not get out.

    As you go up the grades, if you bowl pus you will get absolutely clobbered.
    When coaching junior cricketers I sit them down, with their parents, and tell them the there are ways of getting wickets at Junior level and getting good numbers that will hurt them in the long run.

    Its not about making them the most effective bowler at 11, 12, 13, 14 etc but teaching them the right things that will lead them to being the best possible player when they are 16,17, 18 etc.

    Especially young leggies. They throw Angel rapers into the clouds and get bad players swinging all over the place and taing bucket loads of wickets. Despite that method being effective, it isnt part of their cricketing education and they have to rebuild what they plan to do and what pace they bowl.

    Bad batsmen getting out to bad deliveries hurts the progression of the bowler.

  14. #44
    Cricketer Of The Year bugssy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Sydney NSW
    Posts
    8,213
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    When coaching junior cricketers I sit them down, with their parents, and tell them the there are ways of getting wickets at Junior level and getting good numbers that will hurt them in the long run.

    Its not about making them the most effective bowler at 11, 12, 13, 14 etc but teaching them the right things that will lead them to being the best possible player when they are 16,17, 18 etc.

    Especially young leggies. They throw Angel rapers into the clouds and get bad players swinging all over the place and taing bucket loads of wickets. Despite that method being effective, it isnt part of their cricketing education and they have to rebuild what they plan to do and what pace they bowl.

    Bad batsmen getting out to bad deliveries hurts the progression of the bowler.
    hey goughy what standard of cricket did you or have you or are playing. and do you have your g ticket. just asking.

    i played first and second grade sydney grade with a little state in there. but you seem to have a great lknowledge of the little specific things that alot of ppl wouldnt !
    Career cricket
    311 wickets @16.54 and 3021 runs @ 34.56 from 176 games over 11 years H.S 178*
    Member of the CW Green
    Cricket Web Career:(end of season 11) FC: 7404 runs @ 30.85 H.S 253* : One Day: 7331 runs @ 48.55 H.S 155*
    Off season: FC 1209 @ 52.51 & One Day: 921 @ 92.10
    COD4: djs clan
    World Of Warcraft: just sensational

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Top 10 Pace Bowlers Ever
    By grant28 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 113
    Last Post: 03-10-2007, 02:06 PM
  2. Worst Pace trio ever??
    By cozmiccoyoete in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-03-2005, 04:15 AM
  3. indian pace
    By Salamuddin in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 72
    Last Post: 30-12-2003, 04:04 AM
  4. Best Pace Bowler
    By Tim in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 78
    Last Post: 04-10-2002, 10:34 AM
  5. For those who lack a pace attack.
    By Graham in forum World Club Cricket
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-09-2002, 10:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •