• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pace

Treeny

Cricket Spectator
I am a quick bowler and have been told that because im am tall that i should have a high leap dsuring my action the problem with this although it gives me accuracy i cant bowl as quick like it. When i bowl with a normall leap i can genearte more pace but spray the odd ball down the leg-side.

Is the few wides worth the etxtra pace or is accuracy more important?

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
My simple and none commital (sp?) answer would be, it depends on your age.

The extra pace is worth the extra wides if you are still young.

The key to good fast bowling is adding accuracy to pace rather than the other way around. ie Bowl quick and then try to get more accurate rather tha trying to get the accuracy and then adding pace.

The reason is that if you try and get the accuracy first then you end up developing an action that is hard to bowl your fastest with.

I would always be wary of changing a leap as its important an action feels natural and any tweaking with the leap can make the action feel awkward and is a major adjustment.

Accuracy is often down to the left arm. Without seeing you bowl its hard to say for sure, but try running in hard and the normal action but bring the left arm down (front arm) when bowling down the line off of stump (ie almost choppong off stump in half)

The right arm follows what the left arm does and if the body, runup and left arm are going down the line of off stump then that is where the ball should go.

Treeny

Cricket Spectator
My simple and none commital (sp?) answer would be, it depends on your age.

The extra pace is worth the extra wides if you are still young.

The key to good fast bowling is adding accuracy to pace rather than the other way around. ie Bowl quick and then try to get more accurate rather tha trying to get the accuracy and then adding pace.

The reason is that if you try and get the accuracy first then you end up developing an action that is hard to bowl your fastest with.

I would always be wary of changing a leap as its important an action feels natural and any tweaking with the leap can make the action feel awkward and is a major adjustment.

Accuracy is often down to the left arm. Without seeing you bowl its hard to say for sure, but try running in hard and the normal action but bring the left arm down (front arm) when bowling down the line off of stump (ie almost choppong off stump in half)

The right arm follows what the left arm does and if the body, runup and left arm are going down the line of off stump then that is where the ball should go.
Well im only 13 so ill do what you said and focus on my pace and then get the accuracy, and just curiostity but what is considered a good pace for my age?

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Well im only 13 so ill do what you said and focus on my pace and then get the accuracy, and just curiostity but what is considered a good pace for my age?
I doubt you have access to a speed gun but:

45mph - Fine
50mph - Good pace
55mph - Very good pace
60mph - Excellent pace
65mph - Quick county pace
70mph - International pace

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
It depends. Take your lead from the batsmen that face you. If they struggle, hop around and back away then that is plenty pace enough.

The quickest 13 yr old Ive ever seen, was in a game I umpired and he amazed everyone there. The boy was lightening.

We put a decent estimate (though you can never be specific) of around 125 kph (approx 77 mph).

He took a wicket with his first ball, but finished with 3 overs 1 for 36 in his first spell.

A combination of a coach and captain not being able to set the correct field (he had 5 slips and 2 gullys) and facing a quality bat that wasnt overly scared of him and played through the line.

High pace at 13 is great for scaring averagep layers but I wouldnt worry too much about being top bracket as good players will still find way to score runs.

The flip side is that although this kid went at around 12 an over, all everyone could do was rave about him and talk about him for the next week or 2. There is no doubt fast bowling is ***y :)

Last edited:

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Christ, that's pretty fast for a 13 year old, the fastest junior I've faced is around 72-3mph, and he was way quicker than anyone else in the match.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Christ, that's pretty fast for a 13 year old, the fastest junior I've faced is around 72-3mph, and he was way quicker than anyone else in the match.
It was a high level game and he was still yards quicker than the other quicks on either side, who themselves were not slow

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
How big was he? As far as height and build went.
Small and light. 5'5" maybe and athletic build but skinny. Couldnt guess weight.

Left arm over, he sprinted in of 20-25 yards and was jaw droppingly quick.

The wicket he got 1st ball, I was standing at his end umpiring. The wind from him going past me into delivery stride suprised and startled me and possibly scared me a little :laugh:

Last edited:

Treeny

Cricket Spectator

45mph - Fine
50mph - Good pace
55mph - Very good pace
60mph - Excellent pace
Thanks Manee the estimation my mates said for me was around 50-55 mph which im quite pleased for as the estimation for me at the start of the season was 45-48 mph and this is in my first season. Thanks for the info.

Treeny

Cricket Spectator
The quickest iv faced was around 65 mph from a 15 year old who was bowling slower at me because it was only nets, but still i wasnt very comfortable.

neville cardus

International Debutant
I've faced 140kph before. Surprisingly, I could see and follow the ball quite comfortably, but the reflexes were left behind somewhat.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It depends. Take your lead from the batsmen that face you. If they struggle, hop around and back away then that is plenty pace enough.

The quickest 13 yr old Ive ever seen, was in a game I umpired and he amazed everyone there. The boy was lightening.

We put a decent estimate (though you can never be specific) of around 125 kph (approx 77 mph).

He took a wicket with his first ball, but finished with 3 overs 1 for 36 in his first spell.

A combination of a coach and captain not being able to set the correct field (he had 5 slips and 2 gullys) and facing a quality bat that wasnt overly scared of him and played through the line.

High pace at 13 is great for scaring averagep layers but I wouldnt worry too much about being top bracket as good players will still find way to score runs.

The flip side is that although this kid went at around 12 an over, all everyone could do was rave about him and talk about him for the next week or 2. There is no doubt fast bowling is ***y :)
I played with Paul Spence in Under 14's and he was sharp too...he used to play Under 14's in the morning and First Grade in the afternoon. Not sure exactly how fast, but scary enough. He ended up playing Australian Under 19's I think.

bond21

Banned
i know a good system to work out someone's pace with no speed guns or stop watches.

Find somebody who is not a cricket expert, ask them how fast the bowler in question bowls, then reduce that by about 20-25 km/h

There was a 17 year old who played for my club, hes now gone to the top club in Brisbane and is representing the QLD U17 team.

Our A Grade captain who went to the academy estimated his pace around 118-120. And this guy is 6'1, lean and muscular and has perfect technique.

I doubt some 13 year old could bowl faster than him, I really do. Theres a 13 year old in our club atm and he comes to senior training sometimes and he troubles senior batsman in lower grades, hes quick but mainly cause hes wildly inaccurate.

About 2-3 years ago when I was about 15 someone told me I bowled 125 km/h, which I knew was bogus.

People see the likes of Hoggard on tv who bowls 128 or there abouts and say...uhh hes not that fast, but then if you watched him in real life, close up bowling in the nets you would say hes lightning quick.

But I mean the ideal bowler is quickish and is accurate, not 160+ km/h and spraying it everywhere.

Look who the best bowler of all time is - McGrath, he was never that quick and yet he was the most dangerous bowler in the world

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
^ I couldnt agree with you more. People that give numbers out are usually way off base.

I did so above reluctantly as the kid I saw was special and quicker than mens mediun quick and made normal 13 yr old fast bowlers look slow.

As a rule of thumb though I agree, a stated time is meaningless

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator

45mph - Fine
50mph - Good pace
55mph - Very good pace
60mph - Excellent pace
Excerpt from my coaching section:

"Finally, we've got everything sorted out - so how fast do you actually bowl? Naturally, the best thing possible to use would be a radar gun - however they're not generally widely available to clubs and schools - but there is a simple way that needs just a stopwatch and a calculator (or maths geek) to provide approximate results. Start the stopwatch when the ball is released, and then stop it again when either the batsman hits (or misses) it, then divide 45 (or 72) by your answer to get your answer in miles per hour (or kilometres). For example, a delivery timed at 1 second has travelled at about 45mph (72kph). To break the magical 100mph (160kph) barrier, the clock must register at 0.45 seconds. Once you get used to working the timer, you will get surprisingly consistent results. I've found that standing at the back of the net, either directly behind or just to the side, gets the best results."

For an U13, 45mph is very gentle and any competent keeper will stand up to it. You will also get treatment from most district+ level batsmen if you stray remotely. The "quick" ones at district level, at least in my experience at East Devon, will be 55-60 minimum. Of course, depending on the level you play at, the pace is almost irrelevant - as Goughy has said, bowl quick and spray it and good batsmen will take you to the cleaners. Bowl slow and straight in weak club leagues and you'll take 6/6 and all kinds of daft figures...

neville cardus

International Debutant
Excerpt from my coaching section:

"Finally, we've got everything sorted out - so how fast do you actually bowl? Naturally, the best thing possible to use would be a radar gun - however they're not generally widely available to clubs and schools - but there is a simple way that needs just a stopwatch and a calculator (or maths geek) to provide approximate results. Start the stopwatch when the ball is released, and then stop it again when either the batsman hits (or misses) it, then divide 45 (or 72) by your answer to get your answer in miles per hour (or kilometres). For example, a delivery timed at 1 second has travelled at about 45mph (72kph). To break the magical 100mph (160kph) barrier, the clock must register at 0.45 seconds. Once you get used to working the timer, you will get surprisingly consistent results. I've found that standing at the back of the net, either directly behind or just to the side, gets the best results."

For an U13, 45mph is very gentle and any competent keeper will stand up to it. You will also get treatment from most district+ level batsmen if you stray remotely. The "quick" ones at district level, at least in my experience at East Devon, will be 55-60 minimum. Of course, depending on the level you play at, the pace is almost irrelevant - as Goughy has said, bowl quick and spray it and good batsmen will take you to the cleaners. Bowl slow and straight in weak club leagues and you'll take 6/6 and all kinds of daft figures...
We self-taught players can only sigh enviously. If only I'd known that lot when I was a li'l'un.

Clarence

U19 Cricketer
There was a 17 year old who played for my club, hes now gone to the top club in Brisbane and is representing the QLD U17 team.

Our A Grade captain who went to the academy estimated his pace around 118-120. And this guy is 6'1, lean and muscular and has perfect technique.
name?

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bowl slow and straight in weak club leagues and you'll take 6/6 and all kinds of daft figures...
There's this guy who bowls on a Sunday for us. Just loops it, doesn't spin it or anything. Some weeks he'll get smashed for 30 odd off 4, other weeks he takes 2/3 wickets because batsmen are so desperate to smash it that they miss and get bowled or just play crazy shots.