• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Clipboard

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
A place to ask or answer quick questions about your technique and the way you play cricket.

Ill start. Do you have a trigger movement when you bat?

I do, especially against the quicker bowlers. I find it reduces the chance of being rushed and improves balance.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Yeah, I do. I have been having a heap of issues with it recently, because I've been doing it too late. This has meant that my feet are in a complete rush and I'm on the move as the bowler bowls the ball. I ended up playing just about everything off the back foot to give myself time to hit the ball, and also because I had my weight on the front foot thus couldn't take an extra step forward to meet the ball.

Since making the back and across movement a bit earlier, it means I'm balanced when the ball is being bowled, and my feet are moving a heap better.

Chubb

International Regular
I do. Basically I have an open stance, and my trigger is to move my front foot across into a more orthodox position. I'm not talking Shiv Chanderpaul levels of crabiness but it is a bit like that. I find it has really helped me improve my game because I get my feet moving quickly. When I'm out of form I often find it is because I am making the movement too exaggerated, so I try to make the movement smaller- it takes an effort but it works eventually.

This technique was suggested to me by a coach in the nets at the UEA in 2005- I used to stand in the orthodox position, then move the front foot a little forward, but he said to either stop it or make it more exaggerated, so that I don't play around the front pad. I have never gotten to thank him for that, because it turned my cricket around.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
I have a slightly open stance, then move my back foot across my stumps before pushing forward onto my front foot. I find it gives me more balance, as Goughy said, and ensures I can get a big stride in.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
I used to go back-and-across like Michael Slater late in his career, but one of my coaches hated it because I wasn't getting on top of the drive. So he encouraged me to take middle, tap my front foot and lean forward. It lead to the worst season I've ever had.

So last season I kept it all pretty still and did alright but Goughy pointed out that my front elbow pointed to leg and by the end of the season I was really late on the ball.

I think the Slater movement was probably the best and the problem was that my centre of gravity was too high. Might try and work on that next time I play.

Josh

International Regular
I bend my knees a little as the bowler has like 1 or 2 steps to go before delivery stride. I used to take guard on leg and walk across to try and improve my leg side play. It didn't work, though.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Two things regarding trigger movements. The first is that it has to feel comfortable, because in the end they don't really matter all that much (as long as you are still at the point of release). Which leads to the second thing - being still at the point of release.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
They are also useful for having a set routine and being the point where the focus kicks in towards the ball.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
During the best run of form I've ever had (which basically consisted of 8 matches without a duck, averaging about 17) I had a slight trigger movement forwards, to get my front foot moving more often and more quickly. I obviously didn't practice it enough, because the next season I got out of the habit and couldn't bat for ****. :laugh:

chyickenkeev

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
any general examples i can try out, cos im interested in trigger movements, if they can help me react to a ball faster then id love to adopt one.

Last edited: