Thread: The Clipboard

The Clipboard

A place to ask or answer quick questions about your technique and the way you play cricket.

Ill start. Do you have a trigger movement when you bat?

I do, especially against the quicker bowlers. I find it reduces the chance of being rushed and improves balance.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Yeah, I do. I have been having a heap of issues with it recently, because I've been doing it too late. This has meant that my feet are in a complete rush and I'm on the move as the bowler bowls the ball. I ended up playing just about everything off the back foot to give myself time to hit the ball, and also because I had my weight on the front foot thus couldn't take an extra step forward to meet the ball.

Since making the back and across movement a bit earlier, it means I'm balanced when the ball is being bowled, and my feet are moving a heap better.

I do. Basically I have an open stance, and my trigger is to move my front foot across into a more orthodox position. I'm not talking Shiv Chanderpaul levels of crabiness but it is a bit like that. I find it has really helped me improve my game because I get my feet moving quickly. When I'm out of form I often find it is because I am making the movement too exaggerated, so I try to make the movement smaller- it takes an effort but it works eventually.

This technique was suggested to me by a coach in the nets at the UEA in 2005- I used to stand in the orthodox position, then move the front foot a little forward, but he said to either stop it or make it more exaggerated, so that I don't play around the front pad. I have never gotten to thank him for that, because it turned my cricket around.
    ZIMBABWE
    Somebody has to...

International Vice-Captain Jungle Jumbo's Avatar
    I have a slightly open stance, then move my back foot across my stumps before pushing forward onto my front foot. I find it gives me more balance, as Goughy said, and ensures I can get a big stride in.

I used to go back-and-across like Michael Slater late in his career, but one of my coaches hated it because I wasn't getting on top of the drive. So he encouraged me to take middle, tap my front foot and lean forward. It lead to the worst season I've ever had.

So last season I kept it all pretty still and did alright but Goughy pointed out that my front elbow pointed to leg and by the end of the season I was really late on the ball.

I think the Slater movement was probably the best and the problem was that my centre of gravity was too high. Might try and work on that next time I play.
    Stedders' Supported XI (in batting order)
    NJ Kruger, *SM Katich, LA Carseldine, MEK Hussey, Mohammad Ashraful, NT Broom, AA Noffke, +Mushfiqur Rahim, Mashrafe Mortaza, DE Bollinger, WAP Mendis.

CricketWeb Black!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    I think Ponting forgot to take his Swiss Ulti-Vites when he was on 99 not out.
    RIP Fardin.

I bend my knees a little as the bowler has like 1 or 2 steps to go before delivery stride. I used to take guard on leg and walk across to try and improve my leg side play. It didn't work, though.

Two things regarding trigger movements. The first is that it has to feel comfortable, because in the end they don't really matter all that much (as long as you are still at the point of release). Which leads to the second thing - being still at the point of release.

They are also useful for having a set routine and being the point where the focus kicks in towards the ball.

sps
    I bat on leg and step with my front foot just outside offstump

International Coach Barney Rubble's Avatar
    During the best run of form I've ever had (which basically consisted of 8 matches without a duck, averaging about 17) I had a slight trigger movement forwards, to get my front foot moving more often and more quickly. I obviously didn't practice it enough, because the next season I got out of the habit and couldn't bat for ****.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    any general examples i can try out, cos im interested in trigger movements, if they can help me react to a ball faster then id love to adopt one.
    Last edited by chyickenkeev; 29-10-2009 at 05:41 PM.

Thread Information