• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

4 Piece cricket ball

bond21

Banned
So Ive never used a 4 piece before but im about to move up into A grade and i know the ball swings a fair bit less than the 2 piece.

So how much less does it swing, and is there anything that evens it out for the bowlers like more cut or more bounce or something?

btw im a fast bowler and i bowl big outswingers with a 2 piece.

thanks for the replies, help is appreciated.

archie mac

International Coach
So Ive never used a 4 piece before but im about to move up into A grade and i know the ball swings a fair bit less than the 2 piece.

So how much less does it swing, and is there anything that evens it out for the bowlers like more cut or more bounce or something?

I think you will find the pitch and weather still has more effect on the swing of the ball. Will you be playing on turf?

I don't think you will notice much difference in the movment at all:)

bond21

Banned
yea man i will be playing on the best fields in my city, and yes its turf.

i am a bit worried because i rely on my swing for the killer blow to get batsmen out, i am only 6"0 so i dont get heaps of bounce, so i have an outswinger stock ball and i bowl the occasional inswinger.

Thanks for the reply man.

archie mac

International Coach
yea man i will be playing on the best fields in my city, and yes its turf.

i am a bit worried because i rely on my swing for the killer blow to get batsmen out, i am only 6"0 so i dont get heaps of bounce, so i have an outswinger stock ball and i bowl the occasional inswinger.

Thanks for the reply man.
Sometimes not swinging the ball as much can be helpful, you don't miss the edges as much:)

bond21

Banned
yea i know that, but if i do bowl big outswingers with a 2 piece i should get at least SOME swing with a 4 piece right?

Thanks for replying.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The technique for swinging the ball is the same. Four piece balls tend to swing a little less, but if you swing a two piece ball, you'll swing a four piece ball as well. As I said, it might not be quite as much, but you will still swing it. I wouldn't worry about the ball too much - it has a much greater chance of effecting your mindset and/or confidence than your swing.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
The 2 piece absolutely swings more and easier than the 4 piece. Some people struggle to swing a 4 piece (myself for 1).

However, if you are a swing bowler then it implies your mechanics are correct and the seam position is proud. If that is the case then it is certainly possible to swing a 4 piece.

Consider a 2 piece like having training wheels on a bike. It just make it easier to do the things you want. When those training wheels come off (ala 4 piece) its still possible to do all the same stuff just the fundamentals have to be correct.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
The 2 piece absolutely swings more and easier than the 4 piece. Some people struggle to swing a 4 piece (myself for 1).

However, if you are a swing bowler then it implies your mechanics are correct and the seam position is proud. If that is the case then it is certainly possible to swing a 4 piece.

Consider a 2 piece like having training wheels on a bike. It just make it easier to do the things you want. When those training wheels come off (ala 4 piece) its still possible to do all the same stuff just the fundamentals have to be correct.
Superbly explained Goughy :thumbup:

Julian87

State Captain
They both spin a mile so that's all that worries me.

I am going back from Shires to play a game of first grade in my home town this weekend because they start a week before us. Will be the first time I play with a two piecer in almost two years.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator

Nothing about balls get easier for bowlers as you go through the grades.

iamdavid

International Debutant
I may be completely wrong but I get the impression the four piece balls are a little heavier? or atleast they seem to be with the way they react off the wicket and out of the hand. With a two piecer I sometimes struggle to control the length and I believe it has something to do with weight, ball seems to bounce slightly more and be heavier off the wicket with four piecer.
As has been said...any mug can swing the two piece ball, in matches Ive played it manages to swing quite prodigiously pretty much right throughout the innings for anybody who bowls seam-up....takes real skill to swing the four piecer particularly once you get past the first 12 overs or so.

Langeveldt

Soutie
I have been playing cricket for more than half of my lifetime and have NO idea what a 4-piece and a 2-piece cricket ball are?

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Thats normal. The entire action from grip to follow through becomes much more critical if you want to swing the 4 pc ball.
Yeah, I'll be honest I'm no more than a part timer, but it always annoyed me moving between grades that I was handy with the two piece but absolutely shocking with the 4 because I have no pace and rely on the swing. Needless to say, when I play 1sts and 2nds, I don't bowl.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
I have been playing cricket for more than half of my lifetime and have NO idea what a 4-piece and a 2-piece cricket ball are?
Two pieces are stitched using only two pieces of leather, one for each half obviously.

Four pieces use 4 pieces of leather, and have a small unpronounced seam that goes opposite to the traditional seam, like so:

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Ha, I have never, ever used a 2 piece (proper corkie) ball in my life, don't think they use them over here.