• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How to Bowl Fast?

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Thank you for replying to my email with helpful advice :)

Much appriciated

Manee

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Actually, one more thing...

How does a left hander go in straight lines to a right handed batsman because then it will just go outside leg stump.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes. I know...but I don't see your point. It states clearly in the book to go in straight lines at the batsman and I was wondering how to do this as a left arm over the wicket bowler.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yes. I know...but I don't see your point. It states clearly in the book to go in straight lines at the batsman and I was wondering how to do this as a left arm over the wicket bowler.
I don't go in straight lines but i don't have a problem with accuracy tbh. My shoulder faces just outside leg stump and as i bowl i do a twist so that my right arm ends up pointing a fraction outside off stump. Will probably give my back hell, but it outswings a load.

timet

Cricket Spectator
Actually, one more thing...

How does a left hander go in straight lines to a right handed batsman because then it will just go outside leg stump.
For a left arm fast bowler bowling to a right handed batsman, you only need to make a slight change to your direction. If you aim to pitch the ball on middle stump, your natural angle will take the ball away nicely from the batsman, whilst also forcing him to play a shot. Your body's momentum still goes straight down the pitch toward the batsman.

Building from the previous replies to this thread, yes strength is a very important factor in the ability to bowl fast. However the ability to apply your strength (or impart forces) in the shortest time frame possible is a key to bowling fast in cricket. One way to train for this is to do exercises which encourage the development of fast twitch muscle fibres - such as the clap push-up. This exercise is one of the best and easiest ways to build explosive strength in your upper body. Remember to do this exercise on carpet or an exercise mat, to minimise the impact on your hands and wrists.

Regarding technique, it is really important to bowl with good rhythm. This allows you to remain balanced in your run-up and transform the momentum you have built in your run-up into your bowling action. Ever wondered why on some days you bowl faster? A lot of times it has to do with good rhythm. For advice on good rhythm and your run-up, have a look at this website on fast bowling tips.

Good Luck ! :)

GameGod

Cricket Spectator
Why do you care so much about bowling fast? The 2nd fastest bowler in my group in my club is all over the place with his accuracy - the ability to bowl at 65 mph consistently (106.2 km/h) has got him 55 wickets in 39 matches (1.41 wickets per match) in 20-over U14 games at an average of about 27 (that sounds like a good average, but with team totals around 140 it could really be better). So why do you really care about generating speed? If I were you, I would focus on accuracy and control of line and length, heavy swing at near-top speed (for you, that sounds like 59 mph or so) in both directions and possibly a bit of batsman-specific planning. I, myself, was unable to cross even 50 mph at the age of 11-12, but was still a fairly good bowler because of my unpredictable balls and my incredibly curved flights (in addition to the odd bit of ridiculous luck: for instance, I once bowled a clear wide which happened to hit the inclining grass on the leg side of the stumps; from there, it bounced off and hit the off-stump with Shane Warne-like turn (except I didn't turn it even an inch) - the umpire happened to think it had been a proper leg-spin delivery rather than a huge wide); there are many ways to be an effective fast bowler, without necessarily needing to build on speed so much. Even currently my speed is less than yours, but I still regard myself as a fair bowler (although I don't usually bowl in matches).

As for how fast you can get, I'm not sure I would say that it is down to biomechanics, although perhaps if you're a very committed and slightly above average you can make the 70 mph mark. I am always filled with wonder when I bat in nets against the top pace bowler in my group (he bowls at 75-77 mph consistently) and I often struggle to face him. That's really quite devastating speed - it's not so easy to reach it. As a batsman and someone who bowls at 53 mph usually, I wouldn't presume to give you advice about bowling faster, but I will just tell you that it's not all that important. More important is the accuracy and swing, which can trouble batsmen more than pace (for instance, I have no problem at all facing the 65 mph-bowler - he's actually easier than 3 out of the 4 other pace bowlers in my group to face despite being faster). Or, as an example which you may understand more easily, who was more destructive - Brett Lee/Shoaib Akhtar or Glenn McGrath/Wasim Akram?

I would recommend you ask your coach if you really do want to get much faster.

Blocky

Banned
Has anyone tried using Kettle Bells and/or other explosive training techniques that seem to be quite prevalent in martial arts/boxing?