• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Serious Question

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Dont mean to be negative but if ur 16-19 now and ur bowling 55mph the only way ur ever gonna hit 80mph is human growth hormone(naughty naughty) or insane luck.
I dont think some people comprehend how fast 80mph is, the average 'fast' bowler you come across in the junior ranks out here in Australia (I'm talking U16's-18's) bowls around 100kph (62mph)...and even as you get into senior grade cricket majority of the opening bowlers (guys one level below Pura Cup selection) bowl no quicker than 115-125 (just over 70mph)....I'd say less than 1% of people who've played cricket have ever been able to bowl at or quicker than 80mph.
I am 15 years old and obviously 80 is the dream, I appreciate how fast it is. A guy at my club has maxed at 82mph (Kent U17 Player) and I believe he is ridiculously fast, but that is the dream.

And typically the increase in pace between 16-25 years of age isnt thaat great.
I think I have a good 4-5inches to grow (my brother is 6ft 1) so that can add about 5 miles per hour and I am quite weak so two years of strength work can add a good 5 more mph too and to me, 65-70mph is cool.

Shaun Tait was clocked bowling at 144kph (90mph) when he was 16...
I would hate to have faced him in an under 16s club game :D

The clear message is extra strength/technical work can only do so much in terms of pace...but pace aint everything.
It most certainly is not, I will never comprimise accuracy for pace, but at my pace in adult games, the swing is too slow to really work. Ian Pont (Essex Coach), in his book Fast Bowlers Bible says that 72mph is the ideal pace for swing so bowling around there, hitting the spot time after time would rule.

When I was 16 i touched just over 120 (bout 75mph) which I was very proud of and was very quick for my age at the time but Ive put on weight and lost enthusiasm since and Id probably struggle to hit 110 now.
75mph at 16 is superb, out of the two bowlers who did that for my club (both last year), one now plays for Kent U17 and the other for Surrey U17 so pace does matter considering the Kent u17 one had poor accuracy and didnt swing it.

If I posted a video on here of me bowling, am I likely to get help (there is no un-rude way to say that,).

PhoenixFire said:
Well, we have a guy who is about 6'7", 15 years old and can bowl into the late 70s, and he can't even get into Yorkshire u-16s. I hate to say it, but if you have any aspirations other than playing an average level of club cricket, then you seriously need to up your pace, unless you have another attribute that is exceptional, ie swing, incredible accuracy or something along those lines.
Are you sure, late 70s at 15 is almost unhuman.

Last edited:

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Well without having seen your action its very hard to say how to rectify that, but the simple answer is if you feel you're doing something really wrong then just fix it! I mean, your problem doesn't seem to be too bad, and it seems to be something that can be consciously worked out in a couple sessions in the nets.
Is this bad or normal or ok, because I am not sure but it sure does not look right.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
May I ask how he does it, good rhythm, fast run up, good action, strong or tall?

shortpitched713

International Captain
Is this bad or normal or ok, because I am not sure but it sure does not look right.

Actually, considering the angle of the picture with respect to the stumps it looks ok to me. You obviously seem to be bending your back, which is good because it may allow you to get more bounce. As far as the direction your body is pointed, its quite natural for most left arm bowler's follow through to lead them to the right, so I wouldn't really be worried.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
shortpitched713 said:
Actually, considering the angle of the picture with respect to the stumps it looks ok to me. You obviously seem to be bending your back, which is good because it may allow you to get more bounce. As far as the direction your body is pointed, its quite natural for most left arm bowler's follow through to lead them to the right, so I wouldn't really be worried.
The reason I think it is poor is that I get next to no bounce whatsoever and poor carry to the keeper too.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I'm a 13 year old, i bowl top speed at about 50kph bowling leg spin, in which i know most of the basics and variations. I also bowl a bit of Medium pace, which i'm quite crap at, lol.

I can keep and am a fairly consistant opening bat, do u think i will have any chance of getting to 1st grade or FC level?

Unattainableguy

State 12th Man
I think I can bowl a lot faster now. I haven't played now for a couple of weeks, but before that I noticed I was bowling considerably faster, like around 70 mph just a guess, but it was a lot faster than before.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Unfortunately bowling "fast"is completely a physical thing. Sad to say they are born not made.

However there are things that can be done to bowl quicker. Action and conditioning (core strength and flexibility) are the 2 areas to focus on.

Ive taken guys that bowl medium and turned them into quick bowlers, but they had to have that potential inside them in the first place.