Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Serious Question

International Regular shortpitched713's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Manee View Post
    I am already doing something very wrong in my relase, I lean to much to the leg side (left arm over to a right hander) in my action and I feel this loses a lot of pace, its so hard to rectify though.
    Well without having seen your action its very hard to say how to rectify that, but the simple answer is if you feel you're doing something really wrong then just fix it! I mean, your problem doesn't seem to be too bad, and it seems to be something that can be consciously worked out in a couple sessions in the nets.
    Proud 2nd member of GM-OLAS
    Honorary Assistant Vice-President and Inquisitor General of T2IBS (Twenty-20 is Boring Society)

Fraz highlights the defining aspect of Shoaib's legacy:
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ View Post
    Those humanitarian works etc ?
    Quote Originally Posted by andruid View Post
    I feel Tendulkar's association with the money minting exploitation of cricket fandom by certain varying commercial interests tarnishes his greatness a tad.

Quote Originally Posted by shortpitched713 View Post
    Well I hate to be a negative Nancy, but probably not. It gets harder and harder to improve ones pace the faster one bowls. So unless you're doing something really wrong in your bowling right now, or are going to go through a huge growth spurt I feel its going to be extremely difficult to improve one's pace by 20-25 mph.
    Someone here said your body matures at 20-25, so if he's 15 and is already bowling at 55-60 mph, then I don't think it's gonna too difficult to increase your pace by 20 mph in 5 years time. What I mean is all the international fast bowlers right now, I can't think of anyone who wouldn't be able to bowl around 80 mph consistently, even slow ones like Irfan Pathan, Vaas etc if they tried really hard would be able to bowl few deliveries at 80 mph and I don't think all of the current international fast bowlers were bowling around 60 mph when they were 15 but they can bowl quite fast now.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Unattainableguy View Post
    Someone here said your body matures at 20-25, so if he's 15 and is already bowling at 55-60 mph, then I don't think it's gonna too difficult to increase your pace by 20 mph in 5 years time. What I mean is all the international fast bowlers right now, I can't think of anyone who wouldn't be able to bowl around 80 mph consistently, even slow ones like Irfan Pathan, Vaas etc if they tried really hard would be able to bowl few deliveries at 80 mph and I don't think all of the current international fast bowlers were bowling around 60 mph when they were 15 but they can bowl quite fast now.
    Recently in the NZ fast bowling comp for teenage pacers Corey Anderson clocked at 138kmh. He's 16. Can't remember what speed you said you bowled but it's that speed you might want to be paralell with. You said you're 6ft which is good. How much more will you grow? A guy in my region is 6ft something. He bowls 120-130kmh which is quick for schoolboy cricket but the main weapon of his is bounce. As a genuine no.11 I can tell you it's frightening.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

International Debutant iamdavid's Avatar
    Dont mean to be negative but if ur 16-19 now and ur bowling 55mph the only way ur ever gonna hit 80mph is human growth hormone(naughty naughty) or insane luck.
    I dont think some people comprehend how fast 80mph is, the average 'fast' bowler you come across in the junior ranks out here in Australia (I'm talking U16's-18's) bowls around 100kph (62mph)...and even as you get into senior grade cricket majority of the opening bowlers (guys one level below Pura Cup selection) bowl no quicker than 115-125 (just over 70mph)....I'd say less than 1% of people who've played cricket have ever been able to bowl at or quicker than 80mph.
    And typically the increase in pace between 16-25 years of age isnt thaat great.
    Shaun Tait was clocked bowling at 144kph (90mph) when he was 16...and even with all the technical work with CA coaches and extra strength he's only added 10-15kph to his max speed in 8 years.
    Moises Henriques bowled at about 85mph when he was 16 or 17 and he hasnt gotten any quicker since then.
    The clear message is extra strength/technical work can only do so much in terms of pace...but pace aint everything.

When I was 16 i touched just over 120 (bout 75mph) which I was very proud of and was very quick for my age at the time but Ive put on weight and lost enthusiasm since and Id probably struggle to hit 110 now.

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Well, we have a guy who is about 6'7", 15 years old and can bowl into the late 70s, and he can't even get into Yorkshire u-16s. I hate to say it, but if you have any aspirations other than playing an average level of club cricket, then you seriously need to up your pace, unless you have another attribute that is exceptional, ie swing, incredible accuracy or something along those lines.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by iamdavid View Post
    Dont mean to be negative but if ur 16-19 now and ur bowling 55mph the only way ur ever gonna hit 80mph is human growth hormone(naughty naughty) or insane luck.
    I dont think some people comprehend how fast 80mph is, the average 'fast' bowler you come across in the junior ranks out here in Australia (I'm talking U16's-18's) bowls around 100kph (62mph)...and even as you get into senior grade cricket majority of the opening bowlers (guys one level below Pura Cup selection) bowl no quicker than 115-125 (just over 70mph)....I'd say less than 1% of people who've played cricket have ever been able to bowl at or quicker than 80mph.
    I am 15 years old and obviously 80 is the dream, I appreciate how fast it is. A guy at my club has maxed at 82mph (Kent U17 Player) and I believe he is ridiculously fast, but that is the dream.

And typically the increase in pace between 16-25 years of age isnt thaat great.
    I think I have a good 4-5inches to grow (my brother is 6ft 1) so that can add about 5 miles per hour and I am quite weak so two years of strength work can add a good 5 more mph too and to me, 65-70mph is cool.

Shaun Tait was clocked bowling at 144kph (90mph) when he was 16...
    I would hate to have faced him in an under 16s club game

The clear message is extra strength/technical work can only do so much in terms of pace...but pace aint everything.
    It most certainly is not, I will never comprimise accuracy for pace, but at my pace in adult games, the swing is too slow to really work. Ian Pont (Essex Coach), in his book Fast Bowlers Bible says that 72mph is the ideal pace for swing so bowling around there, hitting the spot time after time would rule.

When I was 16 i touched just over 120 (bout 75mph) which I was very proud of and was very quick for my age at the time but Ive put on weight and lost enthusiasm since and Id probably struggle to hit 110 now.
    75mph at 16 is superb, out of the two bowlers who did that for my club (both last year), one now plays for Kent U17 and the other for Surrey U17 so pace does matter considering the Kent u17 one had poor accuracy and didnt swing it.

If I posted a video on here of me bowling, am I likely to get help (there is no un-rude way to say that,).

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixFire
    Well, we have a guy who is about 6'7", 15 years old and can bowl into the late 70s, and he can't even get into Yorkshire u-16s. I hate to say it, but if you have any aspirations other than playing an average level of club cricket, then you seriously need to up your pace, unless you have another attribute that is exceptional, ie swing, incredible accuracy or something along those lines.
    Are you sure, late 70s at 15 is almost unhuman.
    Last edited by Manee; 19-06-2007 at 01:19 PM.
    The speed at which a fielding team gets through the innings is overrated.

Quote Originally Posted by shortpitched713 View Post
    Well without having seen your action its very hard to say how to rectify that, but the simple answer is if you feel you're doing something really wrong then just fix it! I mean, your problem doesn't seem to be too bad, and it seems to be something that can be consciously worked out in a couple sessions in the nets.
    Is this bad or normal or ok, because I am not sure but it sure does not look right.

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Are you sure, late 70s at 15 is almost unhuman.
    100% I have seen him clocked in outdoor nets.

May I ask how he does it, good rhythm, fast run up, good action, strong or tall?

Is this bad or normal or ok, because I am not sure but it sure does not look right.

Actually, considering the angle of the picture with respect to the stumps it looks ok to me. You obviously seem to be bending your back, which is good because it may allow you to get more bounce. As far as the direction your body is pointed, its quite natural for most left arm bowler's follow through to lead them to the right, so I wouldn't really be worried.

May I ask how he does it, good rhythm, fast run up, good action, strong or tall?
    Probably all of the above, although inordinate strength or height is not particularly neccessary.

Quote Originally Posted by shortpitched713
    Actually, considering the angle of the picture with respect to the stumps it looks ok to me. You obviously seem to be bending your back, which is good because it may allow you to get more bounce. As far as the direction your body is pointed, its quite natural for most left arm bowler's follow through to lead them to the right, so I wouldn't really be worried.
    The reason I think it is poor is that I get next to no bounce whatsoever and poor carry to the keeper too.

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    I'm a 13 year old, i bowl top speed at about 50kph bowling leg spin, in which i know most of the basics and variations. I also bowl a bit of Medium pace, which i'm quite crap at, lol.

I can keep and am a fairly consistant opening bat, do u think i will have any chance of getting to 1st grade or FC level?

I think I can bowl a lot faster now. I haven't played now for a couple of weeks, but before that I noticed I was bowling considerably faster, like around 70 mph just a guess, but it was a lot faster than before.

Quote Originally Posted by Unattainableguy View Post
    like around 70 mph just a guess,
    Did you guess using a speed gun, or just off of the top of your head?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information