• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cut Shot Demo and Drill by Goughy

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I was chatting to a forum member and they said they were having issues with the cut shot when batting.

I said that I had a drill I use to work on the shot but that it was hard to explain over MSN and that Id make little video clip for him.

Anyway, rather than it just go to one person I thought others could find it of some use.

Its not meant to be a professional presentation. There is no 2nd takes or script or practices. Just me talking about the shot for 2 mins 30 :) so please no comments on it not being of TV quality

Link to Cut shot demonstration and Drill

Grip for Drill

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yea, I am much better (though not good by any means) at leg side play than off side play. And there is no coaching around here, so stuff like this is invaluable.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
What's the drill? In my 20 years of life, I have never heard of it.
You want a name? I couldnt tell you. Its not something that Ive picked up from a book but from the coaches grapevine whereby chatting with other coaches you pickup stuff thats useful.

From it being passed onto me from another coach I tried it and found it very worthwhile and now use it myself.

DCC_legend

International Regular
If you had the time to make some more of these, this would be awesome. Not much of a coach myself, but when im a bit older i'd like to have a crack at it. I try and help some of the younger kids with there batting technique (Strangely i can help them but i cant do the stuff myself) and some of the kids with the bowling (if they need it) but if i had a bit more coaching knowledge i could pass it on to them. Afterall this is a good place to start with some basics.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
If you had the time to make some more of these, this would be awesome. Not much of a coach myself, but when im a bit older i'd like to have a crack at it. I try and help some of the younger kids with there batting technique (Strangely i can help them but i cant do the stuff myself) and some of the kids with the bowling (if they need it) but if i had a bit more coaching knowledge i could pass it on to them. Afterall this is a good place to start with some basics.
He coaches for a living AFAIK so don't think it'd be in his best interests to be giving out so much free coaching.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
He coaches for a living AFAIK so don't think it'd be in his best interests to be giving out so much free coaching.
Yeah, Id volunteered to do this for an individual and decided to share it. Never say never but the fact that coaching is what I do on a day to day basis means I doubt this will be a regular thing.

Hard to charge people for stuff if its all on youtube :p

Last edited:

adharcric

International Coach
Good stuff. I need the leg glance much more than the cut shot. Please. :)

EDIT: I understand that you probably don't want to do another one.
Can you just offer some written advice on how to play balls coming at my leg (at my shins, knees, thighs (real problem there), hips, etc)?

Last edited: