• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cut Shot Demo and Drill by Goughy

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
You're an Indian and can't play stuff off your pads? :shock: Goughy's the man though.

I try to be tough and I play the hook shot like every other ball....I actually made an ass out of myself by playing it on a yorker. :p

adharcric

International Coach
You're an Indian and can't play stuff off your pads? :shock: Goughy's the man though.

I try to be tough and I play the hook shot like every other ball....I actually made an ass out of myself by playing it on a yorker. :p
Haven't you ever gotten injured missing one of those shots?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Not bad. One of my pet dislikes is people who talk about "rolling the wrists" with the cut shot. As long as you take a full stroke of the blade, you'll roll your wrists naturally.

I tend to find that as long as my base is strong and I stand up tall, it all works pretty well for me. Although the cut is pretty much my main scoring shot - I need width to score.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Haven't you ever gotten injured missing one of those shots?
Yes :(. My first practice I almost got knocked out actually. I don't let it dishearten me though. I'll become an accomplished player of the hook yet.

Backfoot play for teh win. I try to remove all front foot play from my game purely because I know I'll never be a great batsman anyway, so might as well have fun :p.

adharcric

International Coach
Yes :(. My first practice I almost got knocked out actually. I don't let it dishearten me though. I'll become an accomplished player of the hook yet.

Backfoot play for teh win. I try to remove all front foot play from my game purely because I know I'll never be a great batsman anyway, so might as well have fun :p.
Haha, what type of ball were you playing with?

Isura

U19 Captain
Thanks for this. I'd love to see more vids like it. Can you do one on leg side shots (leg glance, or power drive through midwicket).

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Good stuff. I need the leg glance much more than the cut shot. Please. :)

EDIT: I understand that you probably don't want to do another one.
Can you just offer some written advice on how to play balls coming at my leg (at my shins, knees, thighs (real problem there), hips, etc)?
Sometimes people try to play a leg-glance too fine and thus close the face too much, either missing it or not hitting it properly. If the ball is angled into the pads, I've found that I can generally play through the line a little more, like to widish mid on, and the angle will take it finer.

Balance is very important - must not fall over too much or you'll chip it in the air.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Following on from above, the easiest way to know that your balance is wrong is if your back leg comes through and ends up outside off stump after you play the stroker. It can be OK if it comes through, but it should be down the line of the stumps if it does.

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
cheers Goughy

(yes i'm that member, from the 5 times ive gotten out this year, 3 times it was mistiming and screwing up the cutshot by playing it into covers hands with a nice gentle lob!)

awesome Goughy, really helpful

gio

U19 Cricketer
You want a name? I couldnt tell you. Its not something that Ive picked up from a book but from the coaches grapevine whereby chatting with other coaches you pickup stuff thats useful.

From it being passed onto me from another coach I tried it and found it very worthwhile and now use it myself.
Ah ok, so it's just a different grip. I thought it was a new delivery, or something like that.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Goughy,

If I try to swing through like an axe with the cut shot, it always seems to get he top edge or something, while if I just try to softly hit it and place it, it works a little better (but results in only 1-2 runs). Any particular reason?

adharcric

International Coach
Goughy,

If I try to swing through like an axe with the cut shot, it always seems to get he top edge or something, while if I just try to softly hit it and place it, it works a little better (but results in only 1-2 runs). Any particular reason?
You're just not a natural batsman. Go back to fast bowling.

Seriously though, I think it will take time for you to get the placement right with the new technique. Don't know how well it will work but I'll take Goughy's word here.

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Just came across this video again for the first time in a long time. I'll bump it in case it is useful to anyone.