Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Message to Harmison, England Management and whoever else is interested

Message to Harmison, England Management and whoever else is interested

Some people may not think that this single topic is thread worthy, but given the million to one chance that someone of some importance actually has a look on the forum I think it deserves it.

Anyway, today (3rd day of the 1st Test at Lord, Eng vs WI 2007) there was much talk in the booth about Harmison and his struggles. Lots of opinions were offered and even Ian Botham said he wasn't sure why Harmison got his hand on the 'wrong side of the ball'.

To be honest I find that pretty disappointing as its a problem I deal with frequently as a fast bowling coach and it is easily correctable.

If you will pardon my crude illustrations Ill attempt to break Harmison's action down and show how it should be adjusted.

Ill do it point by point.

• In delivery Harmisons left arm points to 1st/2nd slip
    • When you walk the trail leg follows the lead leg. Thats how you walk in a straight line. It is the same with bowling actions. Where the left arm goes the body and the right arm follows.
    • Due to Harmisons left arm, his body is pulled to the left and his right arm would naturally follow in the direction of the slips to a right hander
    • Obviously this isnt where he wants the ball to go so he has to make adjustments in the direction his right arm travels. He has to take it away from its natural arc to bring the ball towards off stump.
    • This adjustment of the right arm away from its natural direction (which is towards the slips) leads to inconsistency and variable levels of accuracy
    • Harmison is fighting against his own action to get the ball towards the stumps and has to 'push' the ball towards off-stump away from its natural direction and away from where his body and left arm are travelling.
    • This pushing of the ball often leads to the hand being on the 'wrong side' ie left side of the ball and this adjustment against the natural lines of his action often forces the ball too far and down the leg side

A key for fast bowlers is to think in straight lines. It doesnt matter where the left arm comes from as long as its pointing towards off stump at the highest point of the action and comes down towards off stump in delivery.

This straight line (doesnt matter if sideways on or chest on) bring the whole body through towards the stumps, including the right arm and the ball.

Basically whereever the left arm goes everything else natually follows. Unless a player wants to fight their action and have to make massive adjustment during delivery then the line of the left arm must be off-stump.

If Harmison can adapt and force his left arm up towards the stumps instead of wide and bring it down through the line of off stump like an axe chopping through the off-stump then many of his problems would disappear.

It may sound simple, but it is. People over complicate actions. All the complicated issues are symptoms of fundamental problems. Fix the fundamental flaw and a whole myriad of other issues magically go away.

Take the 6th ball of the 1st over Harmison bowled with the 2nd new ball today. As he went up into delivery I knew it would be a good ball. If you know actions you can see if it will be a good ball before it is even bowled. He actually got his left arm straight and immediately I thought "this is going to be decent". It pitched on a length, just outside offstump and climbed rapidly to the keeper.

He just needs to make that small change and he will be dangerous. As long as he is fighting his own action he will struggle.

If the England Management want to further discuss this point my email and MSN are in the sig below
    Last edited by Goughy; 19-05-2007 at 05:31 PM.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Breakout Champion!
    Sorry, mr Goughy, but it's not as simple as making one small change. You see, much has been made of Steve Harmison's homesickness and the truth is that Harmison is so attached to his beloved Ashington that he's developed the same innate sense of where home is that homing pigeons have. Now, contrary to most researchers beliefs, this unique sense of direction is not determined by the "map and compass" model. It is infact the bone marrow of this bird/individual being more magnetic than the average bird/individual, and the one strongest pull on this magnetic bone is infact from a magnetic field located in the North East of England. The main amount of magnetic bone marrow in Steve Harmison's body happens to be clustered around his left elbow, and the pull of this North-Eastern field is so strong that Harmison's left arm points towards Ashington at all times. Therefore, the only way we are going to get old Steve bowling straight is to align every cricket ground in the world so that the off stump is always aligned with Ashington or amputate said arm, I'm afraid.
    Last edited by steds; 19-05-2007 at 05:45 PM.

Pretty good explanation Goughy

I agree that the "physical" problem definitely stems from his left side

Cricket is physically an uncomplicated game and Richie Benaud sums it up best for mine - action should be like a windmill with the arms following each other on a parallel plane.

Basically, with Harmy's lead arm taking his head and body towards slip, he has to contort his body to direct the right arm towards off stump

Unfortunately, the problem with Harmison is probably not far removed from the compass theory - mental strength or the lack thereof.

I cant believe that neither he nor the coaching staff arent seeing exactly what we are - he just seems unable to put it into practice on a regular basis
    Last edited by social; 19-05-2007 at 06:12 PM.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Interesting points Goughy, I'm no fast bowling expert but you seem to know your stuff. I suggest you hunt Harmison down and tell him exactly this
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    I hope you've emailed someone - Derek Pringle or Simon Barnes for instance - with this too, Kev. Much better chance of someone of significance reading it there.

It's worth a try, after all, however cynical the Bennetts of this World are.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Interesting to see his 1st two overs today (day 4). Much improved and his left arm is coming up and down straighter. Accuracy is improved and he has broke 90mph early doors.

Good to see. Just a matter of whether he can maintain it.

Top thread - makes quite a bit of sense, really. When I remember Harmison in full flow, I think of a tall, almost perfectly straight front arm in his delivery as well as a slightly more upright position just prior to the actual delivery. It looks like he's fixed it a bit this morning though, so perhaps someone else has noticed this.
    ~ Cribbage

Quote Originally Posted by Riggins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by simonlee48 View Post
    Sanga has done well but Murali has done better. In my opinion, Murali is simply the best off spinner in history of cricket and I can't make that kind of statement for Sanga.
    Sanga isn't the best off spinner in the history of cricket? News to me.

Quote Originally Posted by steds View Post
    Sorry, mr Goughy, but it's not as simple as making one small change. You see, much has been made of Steve Harmison's homesickness and the truth is that Harmison is so attached to his beloved Ashington that he's developed the same innate sense of where home is that homing pigeons have. Now, contrary to most researchers beliefs, this unique sense of direction is not determined by the "map and compass" model. It is infact the bone marrow of this bird/individual being more magnetic than the average bird/individual, and the one strongest pull on this magnetic bone is infact from a magnetic field located in the North East of England. The main amount of magnetic bone marrow in Steve Harmison's body happens to be clustered around his left elbow, and the pull of this North-Eastern field is so strong that Harmison's left arm points towards Ashington at all times. Therefore, the only way we are going to get old Steve bowling straight is to align every cricket ground in the world so that the off stump is always aligned with Ashington or amputate said arm, I'm afraid.

He bowls ok for Durham away from home though how can you're theory account for this?

Goughy this is a very good thread, you would hope someone on the England coaching staff would be able identify what is going wrong with Harmison.

Edit

I mean Goughy
    Last edited by Gloucefan; 20-05-2007 at 04:34 AM.

Surely the England management should know about this weakness and be working on it? Troy Cooley got him to do it right, Kevin Shine has not, will AD be the next one to have a go?
    Ian Botham, Freddie Flintoff, Kevin Pietersen, Brian Laudrup, Gazza and Daniela Hantuchova....a fan of you all FOREVER!!!
    Can't wait to see Australia field a crap leg-spinner like Hollland or Hohns again.....
    Congratulations to Daniela Hantuchova on her 3rd career title....
    Bob Woolmer 1948-2007..farewell to the best coach England never had...
    Arise Sir Beefy....
    Pugh, Pugh, Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble, Grubb...

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Poker Boy View Post
    Surely the England management should know about this weakness and be working on it? Troy Cooley got him to do it right, Kevin Shine has not, will AD be the next one to have a go?
    Here's hoping.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Poker Boy View Post
    What about the many occasions he bowled rubbish with Cooley in charge?

Gun pictures btw
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Mitch Johnson is ****ing awesome for cricket.
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Ponting's ability to ton up in the first innings of a series should not be understated. So much pressure, so important. What a great!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    What about the many occasions he bowled rubbish with Cooley in charge?
    Well, quite - like you, I'm astonished at the mythology that's been allowed to build up around GBH.

Incidentally Goughy, apart from the guys that Richard mentioned, ex-bowlers in the media like Fraser and Selvey might be a decent bet. And the ECB website probably has an email address if you were really feeling lucky.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Excellent post, should take out an Afridi IMO.

You should revive your 1800 call Goughy thread, that was gun
    "It was an easy decision to sign. I could have gone elsewhere, I had calls, but it never entered my mind it's not about the money."
    Jason Koumas

SWA

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

FBU
    His bowling improved on the last day when there were hardly any spectators at Lords.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information