• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Help needed regarding me batting

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I usually start my movement on my back foot, and go onto the front foot from there if i need too.
Thats not bad at all for an opening batsman. A slight back and across initial movement has been used by many openers as the launch for the next movement. Gavaskar is a prime example. If you are primarily a front foot player, this could be slightly forward and across.
Now coming to swing. Being a backfoot player is not bad at all to counter swing (although most batsmen being predominantly front foot players flounder and prefer the apparent safety of the front foot). The problems could be in many areas. Lets try and see if we can get to this clear in stages.

Playing off the backfoot

Backward movement

We are starting with your statement that you have no problem picking the length. So I assume when you move back it will be to a short pitched delivery and not one of fuller length.

When you move back do you move right back or just across when you say you move back? Just moving across but not back is fraught with danger. You need to move back towards the off stump (actual movement will depend upon line of delivery). The further back you move, the more time you get to see the movement off the pitch. Moving across but not back towards the stumps will only mean you are going to be leg before instead of clean bowled had you not moved at all.

So number one - Move backwards too and not just sideways.

Sideways movement

There are bowlers whose swing starts early in flight and others who will swing late. (We are here refering to movement in the air or swerve and not off the wicket (seam or cut).

Generally, unless you are an opener facing the first ball from a bowler you have never played before, you would have an idea as to what he bowls. In junior cricket it is not always the case and openers facing the first delivery can get into trouble with a swinging delivery they did not expect. But we are here talking of a persistent problem you have and will assume that you know what the bowler generally bowls.

I am also assuming that technically there are no serious flaws and that you are by and large side on when facing the bowler in your stance and reasonably side on as you move back and across.

So if you are facing a bowler who swings away (out) from you, you have to move more than if he was swinging in. Mt coach gave a very simple thumb rule which I followed through out my playing years and it worked pretty well though later it becomes a habit or style.

He said, for an out swing bowler, move so much that your left pad (we are throughout going to assume you are a right hander) is in line with the point where the ball hits the pitch. This will mean that if after pitching the ball continues in the direction of the swerve, it will end up in line with your right pad and where your bat should be coming down for a straight batted defence or stroke.

Remember, all technique will be kept simple for normal movement. If there is exaggerated movement the best of techniques will be beaten but thats what superb deliveries are supposed to do.

If the ball straightens after delivery, it will still come towards your left pad and you are still going to be in a reasonable position to play it with a straight bat down the line or towards the onside.

Exactly the reverse is the case for an in swing bowler.

You move so that the right leg is in line with the point of pitching so that if it continues moving you can play it off the left pad and if it straightens you can play it off the right pad.

Move more for the outswing (left leg ending in line with point of pitching) than for in swing (right leg ending in point of pitching)

If you are okay so far we will continue.

If you have any questions.. Shoot. :)

Last edited:

luffy

International Captain
Yeah, good idea 8-)

Thats not bad at all for an opening batsman. A slight back and across initial movement has been used by many openers as the launch for the next movement. Gavaskar is a prime example.

Now coming to swing. Being a backfoot player is not bad at all to counter swing (although most batsmen being predominantly front foot players flounder and prefer the apparent safety of the front foot). The problems could be in many areas. Lets try and see if we can get to this clear in stages.

Playing off the backfoot

Backward movement

We are starting with your statement that you have no problem picking the length. So I assume when you move back it will be to a short pitched delivery and not one of fuller length.

When you move back do you move right back or just across when you say you move back? Just moving across but not back is fraught with danger. You need to move back towards the off stump (actual movement will depend upon line of delivery). The further back you move, the more time you get to see the movement off the pitch. Moving across but not back towards the stumps will only mean you are going to be leg before instead of clean bowled had you not moved at all.

So number one - Move backwards too and not just sideways.

Sideways movement

There are bowlers whose swing starts early in flight and others who will swing late. (We are here refering to movement in the air or swerve and not off the wicket (seam or cut).

Generally, unless you are an opener facing the first ball from a bowler you have never played before, you would have an idea as to what he bowls. In junior cricket it is not always the case and openers facing the first delivery can get into trouble with a swinging delivery they did not expect. But we are here talking of a persistent problem you have and will assume that you know what the bowler generally bowls.

I am also assuming that technically there are no serious flaws and that you are by and large side on when facing the bowler in your stance and reasonably side on as you move back and across.

So if you are facing a bowler who swings away (out) from you, you have to move more than if he was swinging in. Mt coach gave a very simple thumb rule which I followed through out my playing years and it worked pretty well though later it becomes a habit or style.

He said, for an out swing bowler, move so much that your left pad (we are throughout going to assume you are a right hander) is in line with the point where the ball hits the pitch. This will mean that if after pitching the ball continues in the direction of the swerve, it will end up in line with your right pad and where your bat should be coming down for a straight batted defence or stroke.

Remember, all technique will be kept simple for normal movement. If there is exaggerated movement the best of techniques will be beaten but thats what superb deliveries are supposed to do.

If the ball straightens after delivery, it will still come towards your left pad and you are still going to be in a reasonable position to play it with a straight bat down the line or towards the onside.

Exactly the reverse is the case for an in swing bowler.

You move so that the right leg is in line with the point of pitching so that if it continues moving you can play it off the left pad and if it straightens you can play it off the right pad.

If you are okay so far we will continue.

If you have any questions.. Shoot. :)
Thanks mate that will help alot. Now i just need to remember it.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
I used to get caught on the crease a lot. Nowadays I make an initial Katich-like shuffle forward and across before the bowler lets the ball go, it gets my feet moving much better.

Note: I bat about 6 inches outside leg stump, so I end up around leggish-middle.

luffy

International Captain
I used to get caught on the crease a lot. Nowadays I make an initial Katich-like shuffle forward and across before the bowler lets the ball go, it gets my feet moving much better.

Note: I bat about 6 inches outside leg stump, so I end up around leggish-middle.
I bat on middle-leg maybe that affects it?

luffy

International Captain
I tend to sometimes go on my front foot, to well off off stump, and playing a shot from there, i'm always in trouble if it cuts into me from there.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, good idea 8-)

Its a long post but whats to be remembered is not. Rest is explanation of "why"

I always questioned the logic of why I should do/not do something :)

Read it again. I have highlighted all there is. (will in next 10 minutes)

luffy

International Captain

Read it again. I have highlighted all there is. (will in next 10 minutes)
Again thanks, will read it in greater detail when the season comes around and work out an the nets.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, good idea 8-)

Read it again. I have highlighted all there is.

A slight back and across initial movement has been used by many openers as the launch for the next movement. . If you are primarily a front foot player, this could be slightly forward and across.

Backward movement : Move backwards too and not just sideways.

Sideways movement : Move more for the outswing (left leg ending in line with point of pitching) than for in swing (right leg ending in line with point of pitching)

Hoppy1987

U19 Debutant
try batting outside your crease and as the bowler is running in put your weight slightly on your front foot, that way you are already going that way if your playing of the front foot, or if you need to go back your weight is already there to push away onto the back foot, using a mirror is a good plan to practise your backlift and your follow through. I currently have two hours a week with Mark Scott, (England U19 Coach) and he has given me this advice!!!!