• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dropping catches

deeps

International 12th Man
I field at Cover and consider myself a good fielder. I dropped one catch in total last season, and one the season before. Fielding at cover, i do get a lot of catches coming my way.

Anyway i went on holiday for a month and when i returned i was VERY scared of having a catch hit my way. I'd caught heaps in practice etc. but was fine but when i went out in the middle i was scared as hell. Luckily it was hit at me hard and fast and i didn't get to think about it. Put me at a lot of ease.

I think you just need to take that one or two catches in a game to fix ur nerves

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Dropping catches ....

.... is one of the easiest ways to help a bookie without getting noticed by the ICC's anti-corruption squad :)

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Practice makes perfect. Keep practicing and they should start sticking before too long.

Andy said not to think about it too much. Alot of people have that problem, particularly when it comes to high balls. Good advice but i dont know how he works it in practice. I just make sure i watch the ball all the way into my hands.

sps

Cricket Spectator
I find that imagining that every ball that is bowled is coming to you helps with catching and fielding. This helped me when i was having a bad time with catching. It also keeps you alert in longer matches.

marath0nman

Cricket Spectator
End of season catching update

Thanks to all of you who gave advice on overcoming the fear of catching.

I play for an English village team. I played 11 games and ended with a batting average of 27 with a top score of 50 not out, generally going in at 5 or 6,so not bad at all.

However I ended the season with no catches ! I dropped at least 5 none of which would be considered dollies. I fielded at mid on/off , mid wicket and frequently on the boundary.

I took the advice of not worrying too much if I dropped the ball and did not let the spills spoil my enjoyment too much. As a team we probably dropped as many catches as we caught.

marath0nman

Cricket Spectator

I play for an English village team. I played 11 games and ended with a batting average of 27 with a top score of 50 not out, generally going in at 5 or 6,so not bad at all.

However I ended the season with no catches ! I dropped at least 5 none of which would be considered dollies. I fielded at mid on/off , mid wicket and frequently on the boundary.

I took the advice of not worrying too much if I dropped the ball and did not let the spills spoil my enjoyment too much. As a team we probably dropped as many catches as we caught.

marath0nman

Cricket Spectator

marath0nman

Cricket Spectator