Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Sledging" and Youth Cricket

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar

"Sledging" and Youth Cricket

Hot Topic in East Devon at the moment. Not going to give you any of the background to the motivation for posting the thread: just want to know what you think is acceptable banter out in the middle, and what crosses the line, for various ages. Will be interested to see how our kids' opinions compare with others...
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Hahahahahahaha, were you at the game earlier today?

Young Hensor, so to speak, *got right stuck in*.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    I think it's ok after the age of 13-15. After about 13-14, I don't see a problem with having all out sledging.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Cricketer Of The Year Turbinator's Avatar
    Sledge as much as you want! Whether I am playing street cricket, for my school team, or for my club, I sledge a lot, and I mean a lot... I get right into people's faces.

EDIT: And I don't give a damn when people sledge me, they can sledge me as much as they want, I never really get worked up about it.
    Last edited by Turbinator; 22-04-2007 at 06:08 PM.

It's part of the game. Let them get used to it, I say.

International Vice-Captain Dasa's Avatar
    I hate sledging no matter what age you are.

International Captain
    I was playing tape ball game with a few friends of mine .I came late and I was punished to play for the others . Those guys never gave me any over otherwise I am a ripper . I got Peessed and in the next match I snatched the ball from my original teams captain and I said I am playing with you guys now . And when the match started there were some fresh graduates of minor class were batting ,I started beemers and hit the stumps on a few occasions . I bullied the umpire upon giving one odd no ball and I shouted a lot upon a "not" run-out and called the guy a lier .
    I was approached by my captain and he said the mosque is right on your back and remember God and please calm down . I just shouted once after bowling a guy out and said to the other captain that HUH HUH HUH it was you who was not giving me the over ,hence I have confirmed that they will always give me the ball to bowl.
    Proud member of Twenty20-Is-Boring Society.
    T2IBS Media relations officer
    T2IBS official face
    R.I..P ........ Fardin Qayuumi
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Good luck at the hospital.
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Fraz is always the best option IMO
    frazbest@hotmail.com

Cricketer Of The Year Turbinator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ View Post
    I was playing tape ball game with a few friends of mine .I came late and I was punished to play for the others . Those guys never gave me any over otherwise I am a ripper . I got Peessed and in the next match I snatched the ball from my original teams captain and I said I am playing with you guys now . And when the match started there were some fresh graduates of minor class were batting ,I started beemers and hit the stumps on a few occasions . I bullied the umpire upon giving one odd no ball and I shouted a lot upon a "not" run-out and called the guy a lier .
    I was approached by my captain and he said the mosque is right on your back and remember God and please calm down . I just shouted once after bowling a guy out and said to the other captain that HUH HUH HUH it was you who was not giving me the over ,hence I have confirmed that they will always give me the ball to bowl.

Classic Fraz mode... .

I once sledged a 13-year-old when I was about 22. He had long, curlyish hair, and it stuck out the sides of his hat like two hair-buns. Needless to say, this led to me calling him "Princess Leia".

He had the last laugh though - he's gone on to represent Otago..

Sure. Let them show some passion and intensity as long as it doesn't get too offensive. One reason I love to field at point is so I can sledge the hell out of the batsman.

Another reason: so I can do "stuff" to the ball.
    Last edited by adharcric; 22-04-2007 at 09:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Voltman View Post
    I once sledged a 13-year-old when I was about 22. He had long, curlyish hair, and it stuck out the sides of his hat like two hair-buns. Needless to say, this led to me calling him "Princess Leia".

He had the last laugh though - he's gone on to represent Otago..
    Haha Who was that then?

Sledging is the same thing as trash talking right? Then it's fine cause it happens in basically every sport kids like 10 years old talk trash playing football and ****... i personally get worked up by that **** more and always have a come back...if i don't then i mess up the next play cause i'd be thinking about it and just wanting to knock the bitch out...and then coach benches me...

But one thing that's not ok in any sport is racial slurs...then you those big rumbles.

International Regular shortpitched713's Avatar
    All that I ****ed your mum stuff is as likely to affect a grown adult as a 13 year old so I would say that if its tolerated at the higher levels, then it should also be tolerated at the lower ones. Cursing for under-12s should probably not be allowed though, although that would probably allow them to be a bit more creative as well.
    Proud 2nd member of GM-OLAS
    Honorary Assistant Vice-President and Inquisitor General of T2IBS (Twenty-20 is Boring Society)

Fraz highlights the defining aspect of Shoaib's legacy:
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ View Post
    Those humanitarian works etc ?
    Quote Originally Posted by andruid View Post
    I feel Tendulkar's association with the money minting exploitation of cricket fandom by certain varying commercial interests tarnishes his greatness a tad.

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Haha Who was that then?
    This fella.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Simon's Avatar
    sledging is such a huge part of cricket at higher levels i dont have a problem with kids of any age getting involved as long as it isnt racist or anything like that...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information