Cricket Player Manager
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: "Sledging" and Youth Cricket

I'm sort of instinctively against it, because it is a type of bullying after a fashion & bullying is always a hot topic where kids are concerned. It's likely to suck the fun out of playing for someone who cops a bit of abuse of a regular basis, as a minor is less likely to have sufficient perspective to know that the sledger is just trying to affect his (or her) game & isn't actually having a go per se.

Against that I'd have to say I'm not naive enough to think it doesn't go on & also it seems slightly arse-about-face that we should demand a higher standard of behaviour from fom children than we do from adults.
    Last edited by BoyBrumby; 23-04-2007 at 12:49 AM.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    A couple of years ago, I was visiting Delhi and my former club asked me to come for a game against one of the local teams which was comprising entirely of teenagers.

When I went in to bat and took guard to face the first delivery, I had to stop and step back. The chatter from the slips and keepers was incessant. It wasnt rude but it was ridiculously ongoing. They just wouldnt stop the chatter even as the bowler started his run up.

It was a very annoying. Playing after many many years, I was completely taken by surprise and wasnt used to anything like that.

As I stopped and stepped back, they all looked surprised and really did not know what had happened. That I was disturbed by their chatter did not seem to occur to them at all ! But since they stopped I thought they had understood and got on my guard to face up and it started again and I stepped away again.

It was amazing how they did not seem to realize that it was disturbing the batsman. I presume that it has become common practice and batsmen have stopped complaining !

Then again, I found that even if a bowler bowled a rank long hop, and it somehow escaped punishment or was hammered away but stopped by a fielder, the wicket keeper applauded and said 'shabash' or well bowled with exactly the same intensity and sincerity (for want of a better word as he did when he beat the batsman with a beauty.

This, of course, is not relevant to the discussion on sledging but surely tels us what the kids are picking up from the seniors out there.

Not until about 15 or so. Before that, the sledges tend to be crude rather than cutting anyway, and just insults rather than about cricket ability. It should be drummed into kids throughout juniors that the reason for talk is more about positive reinforcement towards teammates.

Sledging should be subtle, so that really no-one else on the ground knows that you are partaking in it. Kids don't have that ability.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Shouldn't be any of it, imo. I'm Pres of a local cricket club and it's a blight on the game and should be punished in junior ranks. Our associaiton has brought in a rule in juniors and seniors of zero tolerance for bad behaviour including sledging (it is policed with common sense though - the umpires tell the captain that their player is going too far and the captain has the option to do something about it). If the player goes on with it they are reported, and here's the good bit - if the player is suspended, so is the captain and the team loses 5 competition points.
    It's an attempt to stop what happened a few years ago when, in the middle of a heated argument, one fielder ripped out a stump and tried to stab the batsman with it. He got a life ban, although he may still open the bowling for the Long Bay Gaol XI.
    The solution is simple - tell the kid to shut up, and if he won't make him run from fine leg to fine leg for the rest of the day and see how he likes it.
    We all know that adults do it and the kid are emulating them but is sh*ts me to tears, frankly. It's embarrassing to see kids who barely come up to the bails abusing each other or just carrying on like pork chops.
    I'm no wowser in general, but seing kids sledge is just a real bad look imo. On the weekend I was coaching my 5 year old at soccer. He asks me after the game "Did we score more goals or did they?" "They did". "I hate them, Dad". Surely a potential Aussie Test cricketer there!!! I had to explain to him how it's not right to be like that, and I think he got it. But kids by definition are immature so if they are allowed to sledge their comments will be puerile at best and vicious (as kids so often are) at worst.
    As for me, I generally dont have anything to say on the field, unless someone says something to me 1st, then all bets are off. But you tend to get away with a lot more when you've been playig for 32 years and all the umpires know you. Double standard I know, but that's the way I feel about it.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"
    "When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

#408. Sixty three not out forever.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by adharcric View Post
    Sure. Let them show some passion and intensity as long as it doesn't get too offensive. One reason I love to field at point is so I can sledge the hell out of the batsman.

Another reason: so I can do "stuff" to the ball.
    Haha. My kind of man.

But yeah, get stuck in.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Shouldn't be any of it, imo. I'm Pres of a local cricket club and it's a blight on the game and should be punished in junior ranks. Our associaiton has brought in a rule in juniors and seniors of zero tolerance for bad behaviour including sledging (it is policed with common sense though - the umpires tell the captain that their player is going too far and the captain has the option to do something about it). If the player goes on with it they are reported, and here's the good bit - if the player is suspended, so is the captain and the team loses 5 competition points.
    It's an attempt to stop what happened a few years ago when, in the middle of a heated argument, one fielder ripped out a stump and tried to stab the batsman with it. He got a life ban, although he may still open the bowling for the Long Bay Gaol XI.
    The solution is simple - tell the kid to shut up, and if he won't make him run from fine leg to fine leg for the rest of the day and see how he likes it.
    Superb

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    I agree with Burgey on this. There just shouldn't be any sledging at all at that level because they won't know where to draw the line. As you get older and stuff, you sorta get to understand what is ok and what isn't, but to allow them a free hand at that young age is just asking for trouble. My school matches nowadays seem like gangwars at times. I even had a meeting with the tournament director about it last weekend.
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

still scratching around in the same old hole
    I used to sledge hard. Sometimes witty and sometimes plain aggressive vulgarity. I look back now and Im embarrassed for myself and for my teammates that had to play with me.

As a Junior fast bowler I felt it was part of the personna and unless I sledged hard I wasnt trying. Now I realise I was just a clown.

Sledging is ok if there is a purpose to it, ie to try and break concentration or amuse the fielding team. But still only in small doses and nothing outright aggressive.

I used to do all sorts of things like threaten to **** guys up in the car park afterwards and try and get them pissing their pants. At the end of the day you only make yourself look bad and is a few extra wickets worth sacrificing your integrity? As Ive got older the obvious answer is No!

Now, as I umpire I stamp out on sledging early. Ill let a comment go maybe once but by the 2nd or 3rd Ill tell the fielder or bowler that it is unacceptable and that they are acting in a manner that shows them up.

I guess poacher turned gamekeeper. Sledging never affected me as a player basically because 95% of it is rubbish and pointless. Get that element out of the game IMO.
    Last edited by Goughy; 23-04-2007 at 04:34 AM.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    See what the likes of Kev and Cam are on here, TBH - that's a feeling I've had all my career, I'm never, ever comfortable with any big words. I'll take the very occasional disbelieving stare down the pitch if a batsman's played and missed 3 times in a row, Nella-style, but even that's only very occasional.

I've always been the shy and introspective type, so it just comes naturally with the character.

Can't imagine hbh, for instance, sledging too much either.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    I wouldn't want anyone sledging before u/16's. I have no major obection to it though, as long as its clean.
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

International Vice-Captain
    My club generally frowns upon it, if anyone does much the umpires are usually very quick on it. I do like to slip in the odd quip though, but nothing insulting or anything.

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Interesting to read. Next question for y'all is whether you would class the following as sledging or not:

A) Come on, let's get him out
    B) Come on, let's get him out, he's been in too long
    C) Let's give those bails a flying lesson
    D) Come on, give me a catch, right here, right into my hands
    E) Ooh, well bowled, he doesn't like them there
    F) Like a packet of polos, all edge no middle
    G) Come on boys, he doesn't like that, he probably doesn't like rice pudding either
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

State 12th Man
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup View Post
    Interesting to read. Next question for y'all is whether you would class the following as sledging or not:

A) Come on, let's get him out
    B) Come on, let's get him out, he's been in too long
    C) Let's give those bails a flying lesson
    D) Come on, give me a catch, right here, right into my hands
    E) Ooh, well bowled, he doesn't like them there
    F) Like a packet of polos, all edge no middle
    G) Come on boys, he doesn't like that, he probably doesn't like rice pudding either
    None of them.

However, I shall have to borrow G) from you.

Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    Sledging is ok if there is a purpose to it, ie to try and break concentration or amuse the fielding team. But still only in small doses and nothing outright aggressive.
    Basically my thoughts on it. Usually I'm just taking the mickey when I'm talking towards the batsman.

E.g. When a bloke who I'd played a fair bit against came down the wicket and hit me over my head, I knew it wasn't his natural game. He also wasn't to the pitch of the ball. I let him know that, pointing out that I was closer to the pitch of the ball than he was.

Ended up getting him out a couple of balls later. But generally, that's the sort of thing that I constitute as "my" sledging.

I know a few guys who have been over to England, and as soon as they come out to bat they cop it just because they're Australian, and the English guys see it as "getting in first before he has a crack at us".
    Last edited by vic_orthdox; 23-04-2007 at 11:43 AM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information