Thread: Hiring a cricket coach

U19 Debutant

Hiring a cricket coach

Hey guys,

I would like to start playing organized cricket again.. Problem is that I'm not very good, and don't have much experience (I'm 25, but only started playing at around 21, but then took the last 2 years off). So I've played about 2 seasons of club cricket here in Canada. I would like to learn the game properly, and work on my skills at a focused level. The team that I played for didn't really have practices or coaches, so it is tough for me.

Do ex players do this on a part time basis? I am about 1 hour from Toronto, so I imagine there are lots of good players there. I have no idea where to start though. I'm looking for someone to work with me one-on-one for a few hours a week. What would the going rate be? I don't mind paying upto about $100 per hour.

still scratching around in the same old hole
    Holy crap. For $100 an hour you will have coaches lining up around the block

I would recommend finding a coach locally (maybe contacting the local Association) and setting a finite number of sessions.

I would recommend 8 as you must be aware that some coaches see 1-on-1 private coaches as a cash cow that can be milked indefinately.

8 sessions (max) allows the coach to make changes and improvements without the process dragging on forever. If there is no clearly defined time period then some coaches will drag the process out without making the reqiuired changes.

Good Luck
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Pinball Champion!
    Why not hire Goughy?? - Save him from his new life in the Eastern Bloc
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    I'd do it for $100/hour. My method boils down to: bowl exactly like McGrath or run two laps around the ground.

Just make sure you get a coach with some qualifications, and not just Joe from wherever.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

U19 Debutant
    Should I look for people with coaching certifications? Is there an international standard for this, so I know what I'm getting?

still scratching around in the same old hole
    Quote Originally Posted by Isura View Post
    Should I look for people with coaching certifications? Is there an international standard for this, so I know what I'm getting?
    Coaching quals are a starting point but far more important are personal recommendations. Talk to people and find out who is highly respected or saught after.

Chat to them over the phone and take them on if you feel like you can trust them. Coaching quals aren't that important compared to reputation and experience.

Thread Information