• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is talent more important than technique ??

What would be your ideal batsman in ODI cricket ??

• A batsman who is more technique-based than talented

Votes: 11 36.7%
  • A batsman who is more talented than technique-based

Votes: 19 63.3%

• Total voters

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I saw Dwayne Smith play a perfect forward-defensive too once... :mellow:
But Smith is definitely a case of poor shot selection. He has a pretty decent technique, but he generally doesn't pick the right shot to the right ball. A lot of his play is premeditated.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
:wallbash: OK... gimme someone you consider poor technically...
Chris Gayle, Virender Sehwag, Nathan Astle - players with flawed techniques. Right away I can't think of anyone from a major team with a poor technique though. Not a batsman at least. Pick a Bermudan?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
OK... less than good technically.

Right then...

I saw Nathan Astle play a perfect forward-defense once. :mellow:

pup11

International Coach
Add Afridi and Razzaq on that list too, and for that matter most of sub-continental players have faulty techniques since pitches here are flat and unresponsive to bowlers so these batsman basically get away even without good techniques on sub-continental pitches, and its when they tour outside the sub-continent that there techniques are exposed.

Evermind

International Debutant
depends on HOW MUCH the talent is.

If it is say, Laraesque, take him anyday. But if it is more at the level of a Jayawardene or a Gibbs, then I will take the technique guy.
Gibbs is still more talented at cricket than 99.9% of all people on earth, and will be better than any average person by many miles even if the average guy were to train 24/7. The guy just smacked 6 sixes in an over, and scored 175 against a top bowling attack to chase down 434.

:huh:

You make him sound like a backyard tennis-ball cricketer.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Gibbs is still more talented at cricket than 99.9% of all people on earth, and will be better than any average person by many miles even if the average guy were to train 24/7. The guy just smacked 6 sixes in an over, and scored 175 against a top bowling attack to chase down 434.

for all that talent, what is his average against the other teams of the top 8?

Compare that with the not so gifted Kirsten and you will get my point.

pskov

International 12th Man

Compare that with the not so gifted Kirsten and you will get my point.
Gibbs vs top 8 sides: 5629 @ 42.62, 13 hundreds, 23 fifties

Kirsten: 626 runs @ 31.30, 1 hundred, 4 fifties

Well you didn't say which Kirsten. :unsure:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

Which, of times, he can be.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

Compare that with the not so gifted Gary Kirsten and you will get my point.
Ironic thing is, even Gary Kirsten was far from perfect technically - and twice in his career that lead to Gibbs-esque periods of getting repeatedly dismissed the same way.

No disputing whatsoever Kirsten was the better batsman of the two, but it's not so simple as a risk-taker\technician thing.