Cricket Player Manager

View Poll Results: What would be your ideal batsman in ODI cricket ??

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • A batsman who is more technique-based than talented

    11 36.67%
  • A batsman who is more talented than technique-based

    19 63.33%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 78

Thread: Is talent more important than technique ??

  1. #16
    Global Moderator Matt79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Colll----ingggg---woooooodddd!!!!
    Posts
    17,426
    Quote Originally Posted by irfan View Post
    Yep, you are right Prince, this is what I was getting at.
    - when you call him "Prince" rather than EWS etc, I get the following mental image:



    alternating with this one:

    Last edited by Matt79; 23-03-2007 at 07:30 AM. Reason: Second one wasn't what I was thinking, but when I saw it, I knew it was meant to be...
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

    Is Cam White, Is Good.

  2. #17
    PY
    PY is offline
    International Coach PY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Midlands, UK
    Posts
    10,736
    Pietersen and Collingwood are pretty good examples of this. Pietersen is a bit different when it comes to shot-selection and technique but Collingwood does have the better temperament.

    I'm not sure who could be more of a match-winner. If the sticks are down, then more likely to choose Collingwood to come in but KP is quite likely to thump the ball around too. However, if England are on top then I'd hope for KP as he'd most likely do some serious damage. Maybe KP is too consistent for this question?

    I would choose KP in most situations just because he's a born match-winner and he can change the game in the blink of an eye which's key in OD cricket. Like Bristol in 2005 for example where he took Aus to the cleaners in 8 overs.
    A True Champion - Bob. Rest in peace. 15/04/06
    "People today have too big a devil and too small a God"

    - Stephen Currie

    "The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?" Psalm 27:1

  3. #18
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Moving to Somalia
    Posts
    44,252
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt79 View Post
    - when you call him "Prince" rather than EWS etc, I get the following mental image:

    Oh dear - name change required.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09

    Quote Originally Posted by John Singleton
    Recognition of Property Rights in material objects is the recognition of a manís right to exist; his right to pursue his own goals in his own manner at his own discretion with what is rightfully his to command. Just as the Right to Life is the right to the property of oneís own person, so the right to own material products is the right to sustain oneís life and to keep the results of oneís own efforts.


  4. #19
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    I don't think he means that, actually.

    I think he's comparing someone's stroke range to the risk level of the strokes they do play.

    For example, someone who could only play three shots, but played them perfectly, in comparison to someone who could play every shot in the book, but did so with significantly increased risk.
    So talent = taking risks?
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006


  5. #20
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by PY View Post
    Pietersen and Collingwood are pretty good examples of this. Pietersen is a bit different when it comes to shot-selection and technique but Collingwood does have the better temperament.

    I'm not sure who could be more of a match-winner. If the sticks are down, then more likely to choose Collingwood to come in but KP is quite likely to thump the ball around too. However, if England are on top then I'd hope for KP as he'd most likely do some serious damage. Maybe KP is too consistent for this question?

    I would choose KP in most situations just because he's a born match-winner and he can change the game in the blink of an eye which's key in OD cricket. Like Bristol in 2005 for example where he took Aus to the cleaners in 8 overs.
    I honestly don't think Collingwood's temperament is any better than Pietersen's.

    Pietersen couldn't have a better temperament for mine.

  6. #21
    Global Moderator Matt79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Colll----ingggg---woooooodddd!!!!
    Posts
    17,426
    One definition of talent can = getting away with risks that others can't

  7. #22
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Well, yeah - another: being able to pick-up a really, really heavy cricket bat.

    There are 1,000,001 things you could define talent as.

  8. #23
    Global Moderator Matt79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Colll----ingggg---woooooodddd!!!!
    Posts
    17,426
    I'd say the suggestion I just made was the most apt in the context of Irfan's question however...

  9. #24
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Oh, that was the most relative thing to what he was saying, very probably indeed, but as I say - I do think Mr. pathan could do a bit better with his initial question.

  10. #25
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Moving to Somalia
    Posts
    44,252
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    So talent = taking risks?
    Whether it's correct terminology or not, it's what I interpreted the OP to mean - and I was correct, evidently.

    And it's not about taking risks per say - it's more to do with the risk element involved in each shot played. The "talented" ones don't consciously take more risks - their shots are just more inheriantly risky due to less-than-perfect techniques for them.

    As far as the point of the thread goes...
    Talent = range of strokeplay that a batsman posesses
    Technique = risk involved in playing the shots at a batsman's disposal

    Which really isn't correct, but is quite obviously what irfan meant.

  11. #26
    International Coach Barney Rubble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    All over the shop
    Posts
    10,190
    On a personal level, I know if the game was more about technique than talent then I'd never have scored any runs. I have a good eye for the ball and can play a decent array of shots, which is why I've had the very limited success I have done. Technique-wise, I'm useless.

  12. #27
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Whether it's correct terminology or not, it's what I interpreted the OP to mean - and I was correct, evidently.

    And it's not about taking risks per say - it's more to do with the risk element involved in each shot played. The "talented" ones don't consciously take more risks - their shots are just more inheriantly risky due to less-than-perfect techniques for them.

    As far as the point of the thread goes...
    Talent = range of strokeplay that a batsman posesses
    Technique = risk involved in playing the shots at a batsman's disposal

    Which really isn't correct, but is quite obviously what irfan meant.
    Well - it was obvious to some, not to me.

    Range of strokeplay, I maintain, would have been a better phrase for irfan.

  13. #28
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Moving to Somalia
    Posts
    44,252
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Well - it was obvious to some, not to me.

    Range of strokeplay, I maintain, would have been a better phrase for irfan.
    Agreed.

    I'll admit it wasn't obsess at first, but once I guessed and then he confirmed my post to be correct, I thought it pretty obvious afterwards..

  14. #29
    Cricket Spectator Sandman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Christchurch, NZ
    Posts
    16
    In ODIs, whoever consistently scores more runs whether it be talent, technique or luck. A talented player can be taught technique, but you can't teach talent to a player with good tecnique. Talent comes naturally.

  15. #30
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Strange that we see sooooooooo many technical imperfections, then, TBH.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. good article on lara v. tendulkar
    By Bapu Rao Swami in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 03-12-2012, 10:29 PM
  2. Did Brian lara waste is oneday cricket talent?
    By dass in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 02-03-2007, 05:41 AM
  3. Most important player for Australia.
    By andmark in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 27-02-2007, 09:27 PM
  4. "Fielding is the most important part of cricket"
    By open365 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 25-02-2007, 04:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •