• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

SAQ: Speed - Agility - Quickness

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Has anyone much experience of SAQ (Speed - Agility - Quickness) drills and coaching? I'm looking at incorporating a small amount into my winter coaching programme for my East Devon U12s, and beyond the basic cone work I'm a little shy on inspiration. I've found a book - SAQ Cricket - on Amazon that I'm gonna get hold of, just wondering if anyone has any ideas?

open365

International Vice-Captain
Is there any need?

I have SAQ for rugby and it's a bit OTT for age group teams.

Especialy for U12s, i think the emphasis should be on skill not fitness.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Has anyone much experience of SAQ (Speed - Agility - Quickness) drills and coaching? I'm looking at incorporating a small amount into my winter coaching programme for my East Devon U12s, and beyond the basic cone work I'm a little shy on inspiration. I've found a book - SAQ Cricket - on Amazon that I'm gonna get hold of, just wondering if anyone has any ideas?
Is SAQ what the English call plyometrics?

I don't know if it is, but it sounds like it. If it is, have a look for plyometric drills online. There are plenty.

Last edited:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Is there any need?

I have SAQ for rugby and it's a bit OTT for age group teams.

Especialy for U12s, i think the emphasis should be on skill not fitness.
All about variety and difference and looking for little extra 10%s. The basic skill levels of this squad are good to very good; the basic athletic skills are not - and that's a 'not when compared to other 12 year olds'. As well as being something slighty new and slightly different to godforsaken catching practice, it's an area we can make a significant improvement at a decent pace. It's not like I'm doing any more that 10-15 minutes per session anyway.

Zoyla1

Cricket Spectator
We dont play kwik cricket. Its all full on with coaching and games. From U'10s (at 1 school I am at) we have high expectations and kwik cricket or similar is no where to be seen.