Thread: Bowling actions?? why do people have trouble changing them

U19 Captain

Bowling actions?? why do people have trouble changing them

hey, i fell in love with cricket at a very young age in pakistan, ive always had decent natural talent as a crickter, im good at almost all sports and i liek all sports in general, specifically cricket basketball and soccer

now growing up i had faviorites obviosuly watching cricket, and im the type of person is is REALLY big on individual styles and stuff. For instance, growing up i liked saeed anwar alot, i thought he was by far the most stylish batsmen i have ever seen, i still believe that even tohugh as i have gotten more and more into cricket ive enjoyed watching brian lara emmensly. He is my fav player by far right now.

Anyways gworing up i was always a bowler, i used to bowl fast, first i used to bowl liek shoaib akhtar with a long run up and almost exactly the same bowling action and i was able to generate really good pace with ofcourse the tape ball.

i also started bowling leg spin, i used to turn the tape ball miles at a very young age, using a shane warne action but i can also use an afridi liek action to bowl much quicker versions of leg spin with decent turn.

Now as ive grown up, im not tall, only around 5'6 so i have given up fast bowling and i bowl leg spin, and owuld u believe it Muralitharan type Wrist offspin with a perfectly staight arm, ofcourse i dont get nowhere as much turn as murali but i get more then normal finger offspinners.

because of my height i am concentrating on batting now, and i am as good of a batsmen as i ever was a bowler.

Basically all I am saying is, right now, i can bowl with liek 10 bowling actions with complete easy, i can bowl a 6 bowl over with 6 completely differnt actions and still be accurate, i simply dont understand why internaational crickters dont try that, i no peopel say u should stick to one action, but raely ur action plays a very underrated role in the amount of swing u get. I usually bowl with a wasim akram like very quick action with a very short runup and generate good pace, i whenever i use a wasim akram action, i am able to generate more swing then say with a shoaib akhtar action.

I dont bowl fast at club level as my main job, but i do from time to time, now i do use the hard ball and thats pretty much how i play cricket.

I dont find it hard at all to swtich actions, u can give me any action of any bowler in international cricket, and itll take me 3 bowls max to copy it and use it. Im pretty sure its true for the rest of us, but i think bowlers which are not performing and have been kciekd out of teams for good should make drastic changes in thier actions.

still scratching around in the same old hole
    If ever there was an example of the benefit of youtube this is it.

Link please
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

U19 Captain
    link to what?

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad16
    link to what?
    A video of you bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Haha. Everyone feels different when they try to imitate someone, but really - you end up looking really similar.

Except for my Damien Fleming and Tom Moody impressions. They're bloody fantastic.

U19 Captain
    oh ok, i dont have a video camera and video capture card on my computer, but next time we play cricket ill try and get a video hopefully. but honestly im not lying bout this, i can really bowl with completely differnet actions, even if one is high up to side on. I dont see why this is hard to believe cuz i think alot of poepel should be able to do this

Well if you have a action which you are used to.Changing it would just be as hard as trying to bowl like warne.

International Vice-Captain open365's Avatar
    My theory is that some people (Like me) have less muscle memory and so it's easier to change.

I know exactly what you mean, only with me, i don't have very good accuracy at all so it's something i don't like.

It's a lot my own fault though, i can't stop trying to bowl like other cricketers i see, and then sometimes i just forget how to bowl completely.

I would try and stop early, it's not a good thing, slight variations are ok, but major action changes every ball aren't.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    People get into a routine when they are bowling and their muscle responds according to this routine because they are doing the same action over and over again. When you try and change what you are doing then you find it hard because your muscles are used to doing something else and it will take a while to change, depending how long you have been using the action.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

Perm summed it up pretty well. If you establish a routine and go through it thousands of times in practice and in matches, it becomes very, very hard to dramatically change it.

In my case, I learnt cricket on my own in the US and didn't get any coaching; hence, I bowled off the wrong foot for several years and only had it pointed out to me after a year opening the bowling in league cricket. It's almost impossible for me to change now, so I'm content with being a decent seamer with a faulty action rather than a great one.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    I'd say it's because you're much better off becoming very good with your normal action than average at 10 different actions. No offence intended, but if you get selected for an international team and bowl with 10 different actions I'll change my mind.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    bowling actions are habits. Hence they are difficult to change.
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Thread Information