Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 41

Thread: My bowling action - For critique

  1. #1
    Soutie Langeveldt's Avatar
    Pinball Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    29,512

    My bowling action - For critique

    Hi

    Well I've had a long break from bowling after an horrific season last year with the ball, this is my first bowl for a few months and want people (particularly Goughy) to have a look at whether this is a good base for next season..

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_N5DvA_3ntA

    Cheers
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

    ****.

  2. #2
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,356
    Thats not bad actually. Maybe try a little bit longer run up?

    Your toes are straight, you have a good jump. And maybe you need to bend at the back a little bit more at the jump, so you can kind of explode into your action? And maybe its just the video, but you seem slightly unbalanced when you land...you don't want to twist ankles.

    Maybe you can post another video from the side?
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

    How the Universe came from nothing

  3. #3
    Soutie Langeveldt's Avatar
    Pinball Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    29,512
    My runup was stopped by having to bowl in a car park, its usually not much longer, but a good idea.. As I havent bowled for ages it was only at 80%, but glad theres nothing chronically bad about it

  4. #4
    Hall of Fame Member Goughy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    All Over
    Posts
    15,027
    Love the facilities

    Anyway, it doesnt look that bad at all. Everything seems to go in the right direction and it looks a heavily coached action (kudos to you if I am wrong).

    My main issue is that it looks very vanilla. There is little explosion. Runup seems to be an excuse to get to the crease rather than build momentum into the action. The action itself is quite pretty but similarly the left arm does not seem to force its way to the hip.

    All told, far better than I expected but not overly dynamic
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

    West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

    Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

    Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net


  5. #5
    Soutie Langeveldt's Avatar
    Pinball Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    29,512
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy
    Love the facilities

    Anyway, it doesnt look that bad at all. Everything seems to go in the right direction and it looks a heavily coached action (kudos to you if I am wrong).

    My main issue is that it looks very vanilla. There is little explosion. Runup seems to be an excuse to get to the crease rather than build momentum into the action. The action itself is quite pretty but similarly the left arm does not seem to force its way to the hip.

    All told, far better than I expected but not overly dynamic
    Cheers, at least it isnt raining here

    Not coached at all, all coaches want me to do is bowl leg spin, so I've ignored all that and thats totally my own action..

    When you say "left arm doesnt force itself to the hip" - does that just mean more of an explosive jump and release is needed?

  6. #6
    International Regular shortpitched713's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,220
    Pretty good overall. Might not want to practice in a car park, especially if you want to improve that runup.

  7. #7
    International Coach adharcric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    San Francisco, California
    Posts
    10,898
    Pretty much agree with Goughy and SS.

    1) You need to use the run-up to your advantage to build momentum and pace in your bowling and not just as a formality.
    Increase the length and gradually increase the pace at which you run.

    2) As SS said, bend your back more and get some extra forward momentum at the time of delivery.

    3) The direction looks good overall but I think I noticed you swerving in closer to the stumps at the last moment - perhaps it was just the angle.
    You looked slightly imbalanced to me at first but I think it's fine.

    Good stuff for a start. If I had an action like that, I'd still be an opening pace bowler.
    Last edited by adharcric; 19-11-2006 at 09:24 AM.

  8. #8
    Hall of Fame Member Goughy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    All Over
    Posts
    15,027
    The more I watch the footage, the more interesting it looks.

    Firstly, it is definately a nice action. My worry is that the windball seems to float out of the hand.

    The feet are in a good place, upper body follows a nice shape.

    Again, the more I watch the more it comes down to dynamism (sp?)

    Assuming you possess the basic athleticism to bowl quick (not trying to be funny, this is obviously the starting point) the idea is to add explosion into the action.

    I would not change any part of the basic action. I dont really buy into certain bits written about changing the leap and bending the back more.

    I would look to add the explosion by focusing on the run-up and the left side of the body.

    Fast bowling does not depend on how quickly you force the right arm over, but the force, speed and aggression with which the left arm and left leg work. The right side follows what the left side does.

    The left arm must come up with aggression, come down hard towards the offstump and be pulled fast into the hip. The right arm then follows through with seeingly very little effort. The left leg must also come down hard and the speed of the runup must continue through the crease.

    As I said, I like the action, it just needs flavour added.

    - Hit the crease at pace
    - Force the arm up with aggression
    - Bring it down towards offstump with pace
    - Bring it through hard with the elbow into the hip. In other words the left arm does not flow from high to low in a fluid arc. It goes from high, to pulled in aggressively to the hip and then follows through.
    - Bring the left leg down hard.


    Its a simple thing about being a quickie. The more the left side of the body works the less the right has to do and the quicker you will bowl.

    A few pics to illustrate a couple of things

    Carrying momentum through the crease





    Bringing the left arm into the hip




    Hadlee


    Imran

    Following through after the arm was at the hip




    Hope this all makes sense and helps a little. Its never really about changing the action but adding to it.
    Last edited by Goughy; 19-11-2006 at 01:44 PM.

  9. #9
    International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Bitch please, I'm from West Yorkshire
    Posts
    14,988
    Goughy, you must have some sort of coaching qualifications, right?

  10. #10
    State Captain Tomm NCCC's Avatar
    Squirrel Soccer Champion!
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Papplewick, Nottingham
    Posts
    1,565
    Looked very good. Your arm was in a direct straihght line with your leg, good follow through, and ball seemed to be on target.

    What I would say is cut your hair, its a mess mate
    This Weeks Samit Patel Fact - Has been mentioned in 32 of my posts

    The Rifles - Whats your verdict? www.myspace.com/therifles

    Winner of Cricket Webs Shane Warne Award - 4-11th Feb

    RIP Mr Woolmer, We are all poorer for your loss.

  11. #11
    Hall of Fame Member Goughy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    All Over
    Posts
    15,027
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixFire
    Goughy, you must have some sort of coaching qualifications, right?
    Well actually, despite loudly and often speaking out against the merits of qualifications I have recently bit the bullet.

    I personally dont think they are worth the paper they are written on. I run a company that is rapidly growing and we have about 60 guys coaching for us at any one time. When conducting interviews for coaches, qualifications are not that important. The most important thing is experience and how they do in a supervised and observed coaching session.

    As well as running the Coaching business, I coach at a few different institutions and have my own private coaching sessions.
    Last edited by Goughy; 19-11-2006 at 01:39 PM.

  12. #12
    State Captain Tomm NCCC's Avatar
    Squirrel Soccer Champion!
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Papplewick, Nottingham
    Posts
    1,565
    I am what is now commonly known as a chucker. Fractured my elbow and it bends funny, Ill put it up on youtube, if you want a decent laugh.

  13. #13
    Soutie Langeveldt's Avatar
    Pinball Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    29,512
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy
    The more I watch the footage, the more interesting it looks.

    Firstly, it is definately a nice action. My worry is that the windball seems to float out of the hand.

    The feet are in a good place, upper body follows a nice shape.

    Again, the more I watch the more it comes down to dynamism (sp?)

    Assuming you possess the basic athleticism to bowl quick (not trying to be funny, this is obviously the starting point) the idea is to add explosion into the action.

    I would not change any part of the basic action. I dont really buy into certain bits written about changing the leap and bending the back more.

    I would look to add the explosion by focusing on the run-up and the left side of the body.

    Fast bowling does not depend on how quickly you force the right arm over, but the force, speed and aggression with which the left arm and left leg work. The right side follows what the left side does.

    The left arm must come up with aggression, come down hard towards the offstump and be pulled fast into the hip. The right arm then follows through with seeingly very little effort. The left leg must also come down hard and the speed of the runup must continue through the crease.

    As I said, I like the action, it just needs flavour added.

    - Hit the crease at pace
    - Force the arm up with aggression
    - Bring it down towards offstump with pace
    - Bring it through hard with the elbow into the hip. In other words the left arm does not flow from high to low in a fluid arc. It goes from high, to pulled in aggressively to the hip and then follows through.
    - Bring the left leg down hard.


    Its a simple thing about being a quickie. The more the left side of the body works the less the right has to do and the quicker you will bowl.

    A few pics to illustrate a couple of things

    Carrying momentum through the crease





    Bringing the left arm into the hip




    Hadlee


    Imran

    Following through after the arm was at the hip




    Hope this all makes sense and helps a little. Its never really about changing the action but adding to it.
    Cheers, I think the windball floats out of my hand because it is so light, I'm not usually that slow! Basically just got to put more force into my left hand side, hopefully my action wont fall to pieces as a result, but its good to know its a good base.. I've had injury trouble in my left knee, which is probably why I'm so cautious to slam the left leg down, but its clearing up nicely and should be 100% by christmas

  14. #14
    Soutie Langeveldt's Avatar
    Pinball Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    29,512
    Should I be looking to swing the ball in or away? I've never swung the ball properly, but need to know what to concentrate on trying to do when I hit the nets.. Hope your still about in PWV next year Goughy

  15. #15
    Hall of Fame Member Goughy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    All Over
    Posts
    15,027
    Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt
    Should I be looking to swing the ball in or away? I've never swung the ball properly, but need to know what to concentrate on trying to do when I hit the nets.. Hope your still about in PWV next year Goughy
    Action looks more conducive to inswing. However, swing is dependant on wrist and seam position and is more complicated and fiddly to deal with without sorting it out in person.

    A simple thing to concentrate on is making sure the fingers and wrist are behind the ball on release, and that the ball comes out with a stable seam with backspin on.

    Not a lot of help, but with your action inswing should come easily if the technicalities are sorted.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Team 1st XI help
    By maxmartin in forum Battrick
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-11-2006, 03:45 PM
  2. Archived [18/10/06] : Battrick
    By DJellett in forum Battrick
    Replies: 10623
    Last Post: 17-10-2006, 12:20 PM
  3. Advice on bowling action
    By JMe in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-07-2006, 11:12 AM
  4. Club Cricket 9-10 Results
    By Mr Mxyzptlk in forum CW Offseason Club Cricket
    Replies: 964
    Last Post: 27-04-2006, 03:41 PM
  5. **Official** Club Cricket (8-9)
    By Mr Mxyzptlk in forum CW Offseason Club Cricket
    Replies: 742
    Last Post: 08-09-2005, 07:38 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •