Cricket Player Manager
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: 1-800-CallGoughy The Technical Helpline for International Bowlers

May I ask what you think about Collingwood's action; it looks quite good to me but it seems he lacks pace (I know he does not try to bowl fast but if he could bowl over 80mph consistantly, I imagine he would).
    The speed at which a fielding team gets through the innings is overrated.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixFire View Post
    4 questions Goughy.

I'm a Leg-Spinner (as well as being a batting Genius ), and I can generate some real sharp rip and turn, but sometimes struggle with accuracy, which leg-spinners action can I look to replicate?

McGrath aside, which bowlers (fast), have the best actions?
    Dunno if you should be going along and replicating people's actions TBH. It's about doing what feels comfortable while removing as many of the kinks that take away from your effectiveness. If bowling like Malinga feels right to you, go for it. Just keep an eye on it so you don't introduce anything that will take away from your pace/accuracy or increase your chance of injury.

In any case, I'll let Goughy answer. He's the expert.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixFire
    And also, which current day famous bowlers are prone to chucking, even if we don't notice it.

Also, does Murali actually chuck it.
    Haha, not going there.
    Last edited by silentstriker; 18-10-2007 at 12:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

PhoenixFire, it may sound cliche, but really, Warne's is as good an action's as anyones to try and "replicate" as such. It was just so simple. Get yourself into a nice side-on position, head straight, energy through the crease with a really strong front arm.

WRT your first point, consistency in your action is really important, especially as a leg-spinner. You need to have an easily repeatable action. The main problem I see with a lot of young leg-spinners is that they rely all on their bowling arm. Those that have good wrists can really turn the ball. But if you don't use your whole body to get the ball where you want, you're leaving it up to chance too much. Strong front arm, and getting your body through the crease so that your back leg comes right through, are the two of the simplest, and most important, pieces of advice.

The other thing which is a bit more complicated is your alignment. Ideally, you want your back foot pointing in a direction parallel to the crease, and your front foot pointing down straight down the wicket. You also want your feet to land in line with each other, so that if you drew a line between your back and front foot, and continued it on, that line would go straight down the wicket. This is more one school of thought, but to me it's the one that has always made the most sense with regards to spin bowling, which I can go into the reasons I think why if you want.

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Thanks Jack and Manan, I think that the main problem is that I just let my front arm die in my action, and just drag my right one through, which will go off target. I'll check out those points in the nets sometime (Y).
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!

Can I bump this thread to ask how Irfan Pathan clocks high on the speed gun (135kph) and yet visibly seems like a very slow bowler through the air and off the pitch.

Banned
    the camera angle on TV is not good for judging speed.

For example this guy said Gilchrist doesnt stand back far for brett lee, which is what the impression from the tv is, but if you go to a match, hes standing over halfway back between the pitch and the sidescreen.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread Information