• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

1-800-CallGoughy The Technical Helpline for International Bowlers

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Watching the Eng v Sri 4th ODI I am shocked with the technical deficiencies some of the England bowlers have.

Im not taking about complicated stuff that would mean changing their action, but things that could be sorted out in the nets if given a few hours. I cannot believe people have never got hold of them and given them a talking to.

Im writing this thread for 3 reason.

1) The simple mistakes they make are annoying the hell out of me
2) Its what I do for a living
3) Im good at what I do

Anyway, from todays game.

Kabir Ali- Seems to be all over the place every time I watch him. Variable line and length. Why? His left arm points to 1st slip as it comes down. This is one of the most common mistakes people make and one of the easiest to resolve with one of the biggest payoffs in terms of improvement.
All it would take is for the left arm to come through towards off-stump rather than 1st slip and he would be a much improved bowler.

Ian Bell- Annoyingly his problem is similar to Ali's just not quite so bad. If he rectified it then he would be a useful part-time bowler.

Dalrymple- Does not drive off the left leg. He needs to push off the left leg to go up whilst rotating. This would add greater height and purchase on the ball. This change would make a difference. However, it takes some time to work on as it can feel awkward and it is easy to overpitch whilst you are getting used to it.

Plunkett- I do not like Plunketts action but I would not change it as he is very used to it. What I would do is make minor alterations to function in partnership with his action. Firstly his weight transfer is poor. He needs to bring his weight forward through the crease and his action. This would add pace. He also just puts his left arm there. He must force it up and work it down. Plunkett could add a yard or 2 of pace easily.

Bresnan- Did not really see enough of him. From what little I have seen I have not immediate concerns technically (maybe with more viewing there will be some). He has a strong left arm, a braced left leg, left arm fires towards offstump in delivery and he transfers his weight well in his action. Tiny concern about his head but I will have to watch him more.

On a side note I want to reiterate my concerns over Panesars action. Many talk about how classical it is but he has a major fundamental flaw that will prevent him from being a major success at Test level

Panesar- His head falls away towards the legside in delivery. This mean he will always struggle with length. Not for a long time have I seen a left arm spinner get cut so often. Why? because his head is not even close to being level. This means he cannot judge length correctly. In fact he may be putting the ball where he wants but because of the head problem it is a misjudgement rather than an errant ball. He must be forced to keep his eyes as level (horizontal) as possible during delivery. It would make a massive improvement.

Now bowlers are like artists, there is not correct way to bowl or paint. However, all artists must possess certain techniques which they can then use to paint in their own individual fashion.

I am certainly not a 'Technical Nazi' and I never believe in making major changes to a bowling action (I lost a full season when some 'highly qualified' coach tried to do that to me). However it makes me crazy that guys are playing International cricket that I could help be better in an afternoon by making minor changes.

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
dontcloseyoureyes said:
Teach me to bowl like Warney, oh wise one.
Actually you do not want to. Terry Jenner who worked with Warne has ruined more young legspinners than you can dare imagine.

He has made a profitable career due to his success with Warne but he want everyone he coaches to bowl like Warne and he messes up so many of them up.

A bad coach who has made a good reputation for getting lucky with Warne.

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
It does make you wonder what on earth goes on at county level. As Harmison's just sent down his 9th wide of the innings, the Cricinfo scribe as asked what the bowling coach is doing between these games, but surely the basics should havebeen taught long before they reached the international stage.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Goughy said:
Actually you do not want to. Terry Jenner who worked with Warne has ruined more young legspinners than you can dare imagine.

He has made a profitable career due to his success with Warne but he want everyone he coaches to bowl like Warne and he messes up so many of them up.

A bad coach who has made a good reputation for getting lucky with Warne.
I just want the ladies :(

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Might just be pressure with some, so working on their brain as well as their action might be just as important, maybe even more so. I'm sure a fair few sportsmen would perform more consistently if they knew how to relax in pressure situations. I know nothing of these techniques only what worked for me, which was always trying to have the attitude "this doesn't really matter, it's just a silly game, play as you play and then hit the boozer". It worked and got the best out of me. I'd perform poorly when tense, worried and nervous.

Correcting and improving action will breed confidence of course.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
When I'm calm and in form, I sing to myself. I almost forget about what I'm doing, and it seems I'm hardly concentrating, but I always seem to perform my best.

I'm primarily a batsman though, and I don't bowl very often these days.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
The mental aspects certainly play a part but they are generally harder to fix than minor technical issues.

Believe me, the small changes I suggest would make a world of difference. Its not just a matter of not being able to handle the situation but having an action that makes it more difficult to succeed.

To put most of it down to pressure would be to cover-up fundamental mistakes and bear in mind I wrote the list before Ali bowled at the death.

Last edited:

open365

International Vice-Captain
'Plunkett could add a yard or two of pace easily'

Now that's just being silly.

It's not simple at all telling someone to do anything differently in their action and it isn't a guarenteed route to results. Kabir Ali is a good bowler (honest) he just bowled crap today, changing his front arm is likely to have affect other parts of his action and thus make him less effective.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Dear Goughy,

I am writing to you asking for your help instead of phoning because my mobile doesn't work overseas and some chavs smashed the nearest phonebox. I am quite a good bowler, touching 90 mph regularly and enjoying quite a bit of success of late. However, there is one small thingin my action that I can't get over - I literally can't get it over! ...The arm that delivers the ball, that is.
No matter how hard I try, my arm barely even gets above my head. This causes quite a few problems - I can't go back to certain parts of Galle after poking out the eye of a popular local umpire. I also once broke my forearm going around the wicket in the nets. I have tried everything to correct this problem - I even tried strapping a stiff stick to my arm and down my body to help keep the arm straight up. Unfortunately, I hadn't imagined how difficult that made it to follow through. What can I do, Mr. Goughy?

Yours sincerely,
L. Malinga

P.S. My hair is shocking. Do you help with that, too?

open365

International Vice-Captain
steds said:
Dear Goughy,

I am writing to you asking for your help instead of phoning because my mobile doesn't work overseas and some chavs smashed the nearest phonebox. I am quite a good bowler, touching 90 mph regularly and enjoying quite a bit of success of late. However, there is one small thingin my action that I can't get over - I literally can't get it over! ...The arm that delivers the ball, that is.
No matter how hard I try, my arm barely even gets above my head. This causes quite a few problems - I can't go back to certain parts of Galle after poking out the eye of a popular local umpire. I also once broke my forearm going around the wicket in the nets. I have tried everything to correct this problem - I even tried strapping a stiff stick to my arm and down my body to help keep the arm straight up. Unfortunately, I hadn't imagined how difficult that made it to follow through. What can I do, Mr. Goughy?

Yours sincerely,
L. Malinga

:laugh:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
steds said:
Dear Goughy,

Yours sincerely,
L. Malinga

I do not mind Malinga's action at all. I would not look to change anything at the moment. He is strong in the left arm and brings his hips through very well. The weaknesses of his action (having to release at a exact point to stop the ball being pushed down the leg or short on the off) are too deeply tied to the action to be changed.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
open365 said:
'Plunkett could add a yard or two of pace easily'

Now that's just being silly.

It's not simple at all telling someone to do anything differently in their action and it isn't a guarenteed route to results. Kabir Ali is a good bowler (honest) he just bowled crap today, changing his front arm is likely to have affect other parts of his action and thus make him less effective.
You obviously know nothing about bowling actions and how to improve players. What you state is just ignorant of how things are done.

Plunkett could add pace very, very easily and I could sort that out in a few sessions.

Ali is an average bowler. He is often erratic and that is because he as a minor technical flaw that could be changed very quickly. It would have NO effect on the other parts of his action. If you checked the time of the original post, I wrote all that before he bowled crap today at the death.

What you are saying shows a complete lack of understanding of how actions are made and what changes can be done easily and without complication.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
open365 said:
It's not simple at all telling someone to do anything differently in their action and it isn't a guarenteed route to results.
Actually it is. Minor changes bring major improvements. But what can I say to you. I deal with this stuff on a daily basis and it is amazing how little players and coaches know about bowling actions.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Autobahn said:
What coaching qualifications do you have and where do you coach?
You are talking to the wrong person about Coaching qualifications. Being a bit arrogant and brash and nearly having my cricket career ruined by a highly qualified coach I refuse to do them.

It seems the only reason to take your exams is to say you have got them and for people to know you have them rather than actully become a far better coach. I work on word of mouth and people come to me because I am good rather than I have a certain coaching qual.

Why? I dont need them, I have no real respect for the coaches thay produce, the system has produced a lot of very average coaches who know and understand little about the game apart from what they are taught. The are fine for history teachers taking a cricket lesson but they are not what I need.

I work from an understanding of the game and build from there by working with each individual. I do not apply for jobs, people come to me. I never wanted to do private coaching but I have had so many people ask me that I have taken a few on.

IMO certain qualified coaches were responsible for the decline of English cricket during the 80s and 90s. Bowling (especially fast bowling which is my specialized area) was taught in completely the wrong way and we produced a 3 generations of trundlers and few real fast bowlers.

Its also a family thing. My dad was a qualified Football coach and he bred into me a disrespect for coaching quals and systems.

He hated that to pass his Football exams he had to spout the teachings of Charles 'spit' Hughes (if you are too young ask someone who knows). We kind of go with the philosophy that Howard Wilkinson was the most highly qualified English coach and Bill Shankley had nothing. Who was the better manager?

Coaching Quals mean nothing and I will continue to fight the system whereever I can.

As for where I coach, I cant say that here. A work in a few places, have a sports coaching business and conduct private coaching sessions.

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Goughy said:
Panesar- His head falls away towards the legside in delivery. This mean he will always struggle with length. Not for a long time have I seen a left arm spinner get cut so often. Why? because his head is not even close to being level. This means he cannot judge length correctly. In fact he may be putting the ball where he wants but because of the head problem it is a misjudgement rather than an errant ball. He must be forced to keep his eyes as level (horizontal) as possible during delivery. It would make a massive improvement.
I haven't seen much of Panesar bowl, but does this pull his arm maybe a bit too far towards the perpendicular?
Goughy said:
Dalrymple- Does not drive off the left leg. He needs to push off the left leg to go up whilst rotating. This would add greater height and purchase on the ball. This change would make a difference. However, it takes some time to work on as it can feel awkward and it is easy to overpitch whilst you are getting used to it.
As you say, there's a bit of adjustment time with this one, and also it's a change that tends to make your spinner a more attacking bowler, giving it a bit more air and dip. Dalrymple does a good job as a "Symonds-esque" spinner, someone who won't get too many people out but in most cases can be relied to go for <5 per over, by bowling flattish and making him hard to get under and loft.

Autobahn

State 12th Man
Goughy said:
You are talking to the wrong person about Coaching qualifications. Being a bit arrogant and brash and nearly having my cricket career ruined by a highly qualified coach I refuse to do them.

It seems the only reason to take your exams is to say you have got them and for people to know you have them rather than actully become a far better coach. I work on word of mouth and people come to me because I am good rather than I have a certain coaching qual.

Why? I dont need them, I have no real respect for the coaches thay produce, the system has produced a lot of very average coaches who know and understand little about the game apart from what they are taught. The are fine for history teachers taking a cricket lesson but they are not what I need.

I work from an understanding of the game and build from there by working with each individual. I do not apply for jobs, people come to me. I never wanted to do private coaching but I have had so many people ask me that I have taken a few on.

IMO certain qualified coaches were responsible for the decline of English cricket during the 80s and 90s. Bowling (especially fast bowling which is my specialized area) was taught in completely the wrong way and we produced a 3 generations of trundlers and few real fast bowlers.

Its also a family thing. My dad was a qualified Football coach and he bred into me a disrespect for coaching quals and systems.

He hated that to pass his Football exams he had to spout the teachings of Charles 'spit' Hughes (if you are too young ask someone who knows). We kind of go with the philosophy that Howard Wilkinson was the most highly qualified English coach and Bill Shankley had nothing. Who was the better manager?

Coaching Quals mean nothing and I will continue to fight the system whereever I can.

As for where I coach, I cant say that here. A work in a few places, have a sports coaching business and conduct private coaching sessions.
So how do you expect people to take your opinions on bowler's actions seriously?

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Autobahn said:
So how do you expect people to take your opinions on bowler's actions seriously?
Oh Lord,

This is what I am talking about. Qualifications do not help you in this regard. Having a certificate does not mean you know what you are talking about.

I will constantly fight this 'idea' of a course being the be all and end all.

You should take them seriously because
a) They are correct
b) I am a successful coach

The fact I refuse to take certain exams has nothing to do with the relevance of knowing what you are doing.

This is getting a bit annoying now. I work based on my knowledge not implimenting lower level stuff from others.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Goughy said:

I think the danger of a formalised qualification structure is that you breed a phalanx of coaches who all think the same, do the same and act the same and attempt to follow directives and coaching manuals religiously.

I did Level I in December 2002 and Level II in March 2004, and I've now been coaching in Exeter and East Devon for the best part of three summers (and winters) - long enough, I feel, to have developed as an individual coach and see others' styles and approaches. Yes, there is noticeable by-the-book stuff going on, but there's plenty of us who have benefited (benefitted?) from doing the formal structure. Now I'm learning from experience, drills, etc, and more critically what to say and when, and I know I'm a better coach than I was three months ago, never mind three years.

For me, a bigger issue is people being completely autocratic when running junior sides - coaches/umpires making every field position change and every bowling change throughout the twenty overs of an innings. Does my nut.