• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South African Grass Roots cricket

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
I would be interested to know if there are any south african people on this forum and really interested in the current state of cricket there and kind of wanting to know a bit more about it at the lower levels.

I am fortunate to have just played a tournament in south africa where we played age group sides from western province/boland and south western districts. I am trying to be careful how to phrase this as i dont want people to get into a racial discussion but i was shocked that still today the teams had to have a certain amount of whites and a certain amount of blacks. Does this happen at most levels of sport in south africa still?

I'm looking at returning to do some township coaching as i totally fell in love with the country and the people but I was so touched by some of the stories and found it so hard to come to terms with. People playing cricket so the have access to a first aid kit!!!? Crazy that I live in a country where I didnt realise what was going on. Now i really do realise how lucky i am however I guess it hurt me to see it so i want to help!

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Kiwi said:
I am trying to be careful how to phrase this as i dont want people to get into a racial discussion but i was shocked that still today the teams had to have a certain amount of whites and a certain amount of blacks. Does this happen at most levels of sport in south africa still?
It still happens in all sports at all representitive levels from cricket to sailing to badminton to rugby. However, there are no rules for soccer for white players etc. The rules also do not apply for club sports but good luck trying to find sponsorship if you do not field a certain number of previously disadvantaged people.

Also there are no real official quotas anymore. There are just targets, however if you do not meet your targets you lose your job and in reality all that has changed is the name.

At the 1st round of Provincial cricket trials we already picked 6 of the 12 to go through to the next round before the trials started as they were the only black players put forward by their schools and it is fair to say 4 of them could not hold a bat. Then 40 white kids played for the final 6 places and some very talented children were left out.

Another part of the problem is that 1 of the black children would have made it through on merit but given the situation with the rules everyone assumed that he was only picked because of his colour like the others were.

Its a situation that helps noone.

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Kiwi said:
People playing cricket so the have access to a first aid kit!!!? Crazy that I live in a country where I didnt realise what was going on.
How bizarre! That seems to be a bit farfetched and involving some serious long-term planning and strategy.

'In case of emergencies join a cricket club'

Langeveldt

Soutie
Yeah Kiwi it definitely happens at age group level sport, just promoting kids who don't come from cricket playing areas really.. Unfortunatly its a pretty flawed system, but as long as the national team are still the best XI (which I think they are) that SA can put out, then most people will be happy..

I play club cricket in Port Elizabeth, for an all white Afrikaaner club team. I am the only guy whose first language is English AFAIK. I play in a league where the teams are either White, Coloured or Black.. There is very little integration within teams themselves.. The difference between playing one week in Mill Park (wealthy white suburb), and then Bloemendaal (poor coloured suburb/location) the next is quite weird..

Anyway, its still the best country in the world to play sport IMO. Boland is one of the most stunning areas. Good luck with your return Kiwi!

Mariko

Banned
Such informative web site! Large thanks! Thanks for a good time visiting www.cricketweb.net . It is really a pleasure understanding a web site like this filled with nice information. Thanks!

Mariko

Banned
Such informative web site! Large thanks! Thanks for a good time visiting www.cricketweb.net . It is really a pleasure understanding a web site like this filled with nice information. Thanks!