• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2 Champions Trophies vs World Cup

centurymaker

International Captain
I was pondering on how much a champions trophy glory might be 'worth' in comparison to a world cup glory.

Is winning two champions trophies sort of equal to winning a world cup? Would you take 2 champions trophies over a world cup? If not, then 3 champions trophies over a world cup?

Basically how much is a CT win really worth?

It's a tournament that is often on the chopping blocks and may not be around in the near future as ICC plan to scrap it again after the next CT in India so maybe that has any bearing on its relative worth?

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
obviously subjective, but I'm pretty sure that most would agree you can't really quantify it in relation to World Cups

Winning 1 World Cup would be worth more than winning 50 CTs in my book. In fact it's not even close.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Champions Trophy by it's very fprmat is a tougher tournament than the World Cup. World Cup obviously has a different brand and standing in the world but I think the Champions Trophy is hugely hugely underrated, although understandably because you feel like why need another world tournament when you have the World Cup.

The worth is obviously subjective given how much fans value something. It's pretty clear from player's perspective how much it means to them and how hard they try.

cnerd123

likes this
Yea if you think about it, the CT is much harder. The WC format keeps changing, but generally you get 8 teams going through to a second ground/quarter final stage, and then semis and a final. The first round of games is usually just to eliminate the associates.

The CT is essentially cuts outs out that first stage of associate bashing, and gets straight into the main tournament. 8 teams, 2 semis, 1 final. Pretty cut and dry.

I get why the WC has more prestige, but the CT deserves more respect IMO.

vcs

In a WC, you need to sustain your form for a longer period of time, and avoid upset losses (Ireland and Bangladesh have proven in recent editions that it is not as straightforward as it seems). I'd say it's like winning a Grand Slam vs. the Year End Championships in Tennis.

OverratedSanity

In terms of 'glory' as the OP put it, the CT doesn't even come close to the WC. I'd say even the T20 wc is seen as more prestigious.

vcs

They should keep the tournament going for sure. I like the idea of having one major Limited Overs tournament per year. So this can be a filler in the years that don't have an ODI WC or a WT20.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
In a WC, you need to sustain your form for a longer period of time, and avoid upset losses (Ireland and Bangladesh have proven in recent editions that it is not as straightforward as it seems). I'd say it's like winning a Grand Slam vs. the Year End Championships in Tennis.
Like this analogy.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
That was a very different format though and was scrapped to avoid that. The formats since then - the 2011 and 2015 pretty much means 1 off day - upset should not knock you out.
It was done precisely to prevent the Big teams from getting knocked out.. And the only big team to still get knocked out first round is England but that's because they were crap.

Last edited:

Dendarii

International Debutant
I don't think South Africans care too much whether it's the Champions Trophy or the World Cup - actually winning a tournament matters more than which tournament it is.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
The Champions Trophy is basically the World Cup after the first round - Super Sixes or eights or whatever you call it. It's the cream.

_Ed_

The Champions Trophy is basically the World Cup after the first round - Super Sixes or eights or whatever you call it. It's the cream.
The World Cup only has 10 now, which IMO kind of takes away the Champions Trophy's point of difference.

Motorwada

Banned
Depends on who wins it. If SA/Pak do it'll be a big thing for their fans. For Ind/Aus fans it's not really that big. Nice to have but as a supplement to the world cups.

centurymaker

International Captain
The format for the 2019 WC is totally different though. There'll be 10 teams, and they'll all play each other but only the top 4 best teams will make the semis. It's similar to IPL. It's like a league followed by knockouts.

--
Having thought more about this topic now, I think I might have been blurring the line between success and glory because in terms of success, if a team wins 3-4 CTs then you could argue that they have had more success than a team that wins just one world cup.

However, in terms of glory/status/worth though, even multiple CTs pale in comparison to the WC. You wouldn't want to swap even 3-4 CTs for a World Cup.. Because as vcs mentioned, it's like comparing Grand Slam vs end of year tour championship. Grand Slams are the ultimate prize so even winning multiple tour championships-wouldn't match up to a grand slam win.

It's like winning bronze and silver level medals, which cannot add up to the ultimate Gold Medal (world cup).