• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Reserve Days in ICC tournaments: Arguments for/against?

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Look I know it never rains in England in June so this is just a silly thought exercise but humour me. What are some of the arguments against having reserve days in these tournaments? For example the Bangladesh vs Australia game - why couldn't we continue the match on the following day?

1) Is it an issue of conditions - conditions different the next day, hence won't be fair for the teams?
2) Is it a broadcast issue? - Broadcaster has another match scheduled for the following day and would not be able to broadcast two games at the same time?
3) Anything else?

cnerd123

likes this
logistical nightmare i'd imagine. Plus you get situations where the scheduled reserve day isn't required and the weather on that day is good, but since it's the reserve day there is no cricket planned for it, and then it rains the day after.

How many reserve days to you keep too. One for every game? That makes the tournament twice as long in length. And again, situations where an unused reserve day is clear while a required reserve day gets rained out will occur and everyone will just get annoyed.

I'd only keep a reserve day for the FInal.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
TBF, broadcasters can play 2 games at the same time. Most of them have more than 1 channel to show. And having a reserve day for a game does not mean you do not schedule any other game at the same time. It simply means if the original game is rained off, there will be 2 games the next day instead of 1. I really think ICC should look into that.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's hard to comment without knowing what goes behind the scenes in organising a large scale tournament, but I think there should be 1 full reserve day for each Test match.

Spikey

I don't think it'd be that much of a logistical problem for something like this tournament, except for the TV aspect of it.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
logistical nightmare i'd imagine. Plus you get situations where the scheduled reserve day isn't required and the weather on that day is good, but since it's the reserve day there is no cricket planned for it, and then it rains the day after.

How many reserve days to you keep too. One for every game? That makes the tournament twice as long in length. And again, situations where an unused reserve day is clear while a required reserve day gets rained out will occur and everyone will just get annoyed.

I'd only keep a reserve day for the FInal.
Yeah but you can still have another match scheduled just like normal.
So the BD-AUS game goes to reserve day, and the following day will see continuation of that match plus England vs New Zealand as per schedule

Is there a logistical problem with that? The other question is that of venue and this tournament was played over just 3 venues. That is a problem. We will have to spread it out a bit more.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Only issue I see is getting bums on seats at the grounds on reserve days. People don't generally go to the cricket on a whim.......it's a planned event and requires organisation; day off work, travel and accommodation etc.

Do you want to see empty grounds for major ICC tournaments?

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
We saw a lot of empty grounds in the last World Cup - South Africa v Sri Lanka quarter final being a glaring example. And it will be free entry for the people who had tickets on the previous day anyway. Maybe just have it free entry for everyone as the majority of the revenue will be from broadcast anyway.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Only issue I see is getting bums on seats at the grounds on reserve days. People don't generally go to the cricket on a whim.......it's a planned event and requires organisation; day off work, travel and accommodation etc.

Cricket with lesser crowd >>>> Rain with a packed house, no?

Also, you are overestimating how often it might happen. The priority should always be to get the game done that day, even if it is a 20-20 over match. But when even that is not possible, you use the reserve day. I dont see a problem with that line of thought.

cnerd123

likes this
Actually if reserve days were kept on the weekends and people who had tickets to the original days play could get in for free + reduced prices for tickets at the gate, then that might still work.

Probably is TV Schedules tho. Broadcasters might have other programming or events scheduled for that time, and if the original match day gets rained out, they might not be able to show the reserve day's play.

I think all this could be avoided if the ICC just streamed ICC events online instead of selling TV rights tho

Howe_zat

Audio File

Yeah this is what i was thinking. The reason it doesn't happen is probably because they just can't get any money from them.

Burgey

Should definitely have them for knock out games. Not sure about the rest. Probably easier to do in a CT than a WC.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
do you want cricket to stop having money
They would be paid streams. I for one would love to pay the ICC say $20 p/m to have access to all international cricket rather than the $50 p/m I pay now for 40 odd channels of ****e.

Daemon

They would be paid streams. I for one would love to pay the ICC say $20 p/m to have access to all international cricket rather than the $50 p/m I pay now for 40 odd channels of ****e.
I'd love it too but I don't think that model is workable atm.

The ICC isn't involved in the TV rights for bilateral series. Even if they all entered into an agreement with all the boards to give all rights to the ICC, I don't know how they're going to be able to come to an agreement on the distribution of that revenue when they can't even agree on the revenue from ICC events.

Agar

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Yeah this is what i was thinking. The reason it doesn't happen is probably because they just can't get any money from them.
More money is to be made showing ads on the telly for one day and a bit than there is to be made showing ads for one day.