Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: The worst CT ever

Quote Originally Posted by Moonsorrow999 View Post
    It is awful, anyone who says otherwise is either English and in denial or just plain stupid. Atmosphere for most games is completely dead. Even home games it's like a graveyard. What is worse is that the World Cup is being held here. Can someone please make a petition to change that? There are some people out there who want to watch cricket so play it somewhere that is possible. You wouldn't play a football match on the middle of the ocean. absolutel disgrace when the number 1 seeded team hasn't been able to complete a game.
    u r so mad rite now
    zorax and 91Jmay like this.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    It is awful, anyone who says otherwise is either English and in denial or just plain stupid. Atmosphere for most games is completely dead. Even home games it's like a graveyard. What is worse is that the World Cup is being held here. Can someone please make a petition to change that? There are some people out there who want to watch cricket so play it somewhere that is possible. You wouldn't play a football match on the middle of the ocean. absolutel disgrace when the number 1 seeded team hasn't been able to complete a game.
    Pretty sure SA have completed both of their games.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

International Captain TheJediBrah's Avatar
    true, true
    zorax likes this.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    While I wholeheartedly agree with the rest of your post, the bolded cannot come at a worse timing.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Top_Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    Keep your head buried in the sand Adders.

Not that there's any left it's all wet mud.
    Alright this was funny.

Master of the house, keeper of the zoo...
    Yeah ill pay that.........****ing daemon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Smith
    We've had a lot of collapses in the last couple of years, I think in our last 15 games we've had 14 collapses or something like that.

Who gives a ****, it's the Champions Trophy, any self-respecting cricket fan will forget about it in 4 weeks top.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

Cricket Spectator
    Quote Originally Posted by mackembhoy View Post
    I must have missed England beating New Zealand in a full game.

It rains in May,June,July,August and September in England so when should we have had it?

May is usually when we end up having a few weeks of delightful weather. Summer is usually ****.

But then may can be **** too as witnessed by the test matches in CLS and Leeds.
    So far the tournament has produced some entertaining cricket, a few surprises including the deshis going through at the expense of the aussies and kiwis, but by and large most games have ended in a result which is the main thing.

Bangladesh were down and near out then put on 200 to beat the kiwis, they can only blame themselves for not going through, and the aussies had their chance against England and were pretty ordinary. Yes there were two non results in the group, the aussies can moan loudest as they lost two chances to win a game, but otherwise 9 results out of 11 games is pretty good.

And I blame the powers that be for some no results, in the NZL-AUS game the side batting 1st batted 45 overs and there were 54 overs in the game, 14 more than the minimum 20 per side needed for a result. I'm not suggesting it definitely should have been a result, but with forecasts available on the weather they could have trimmed the kiwi innings a bit and increased the prospect of a positive result. This is also true in the BAN-AUS match, 60.3 overs batted but again the side batting 1st used up 44.3 overs and the aussies fell just short with 16 overs possible.

They need to reduce innings by more when it does rain, I'd suggest 10 overs per side for every hour lost to rain. Even if you only see/get 27 overs a side say it's better than seeing one side bat 48-50 and the other left struggling to get to 4-6 and nowhere near a result.

England is as worthy a host as anyone, especially given the number of grounds across the country capable of hosting such games. And would there be a guarantee of the same crowds for all the games that you get in England?
    indiaholic likes this.

Cricket Spectator
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178 View Post
    Pretty sure SA have completed both of their games.
    And will leave wishing the last round of matches in the group had been rained off.................

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Interesting points. Should they consider changing the ODI format to four innings - 20 over each then 30?
    indiaholic likes this.

Cricket Web Staff Member Howe_zat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Interesting points. Should they consider changing the ODI format to four innings - 20 over each then 30?
    Didn't they try this in Australian list A games a few years ago?

It must have been pretty ordinary because they scrapped it.
    I get a nod, the tiny smile that doesn't come with teeth
    Maybe you don't know who I am

Dan
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    It was ****ing awful, yeah.
    Mind the Windows, Tino!

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Honestly if Dan isn't the greatest living creature on Earth, he is only second behind Luggage.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    Didn't they try this in Australian list A games a few years ago?

It must have been pretty ordinary because they scrapped it.
    They realised it doesn't rain here so they didn't need it.
    honestbharani, Daemon and zorax like this.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend honestbharani's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Long-Hop View Post
    So far the tournament has produced some entertaining cricket, a few surprises including the deshis going through at the expense of the aussies and kiwis, but by and large most games have ended in a result which is the main thing.

Bangladesh were down and near out then put on 200 to beat the kiwis, they can only blame themselves for not going through, and the aussies had their chance against England and were pretty ordinary. Yes there were two non results in the group, the aussies can moan loudest as they lost two chances to win a game, but otherwise 9 results out of 11 games is pretty good.

And I blame the powers that be for some no results, in the NZL-AUS game the side batting 1st batted 45 overs and there were 54 overs in the game, 14 more than the minimum 20 per side needed for a result. I'm not suggesting it definitely should have been a result, but with forecasts available on the weather they could have trimmed the kiwi innings a bit and increased the prospect of a positive result. This is also true in the BAN-AUS match, 60.3 overs batted but again the side batting 1st used up 44.3 overs and the aussies fell just short with 16 overs possible.

They need to reduce innings by more when it does rain, I'd suggest 10 overs per side for every hour lost to rain. Even if you only see/get 27 overs a side say it's better than seeing one side bat 48-50 and the other left struggling to get to 4-6 and nowhere near a result.

England is as worthy a host as anyone, especially given the number of grounds across the country capable of hosting such games. And would there be a guarantee of the same crowds for all the games that you get in England?

Pretty good post, but its not a question of no results and results alone. It is the fact that weather impacts the number of games that it has. And yes, there is no guarantee that you will get the crowds that you get in England but I am pretty sure in the SC you will get double the crowds and little to no rain.

But again, if they were scheduling 3 years ago, all they had is the month on month data till then and based on that logic, this was a reasonable decision. As others have pointed out, the only other place to play and get full games would probably be Sri-Lanka. And its also worth noting that England day games are at an excellent time zone for the SC which is anyways where the most eyeballs for these games come from. So its just bad luck more than anything else, really.
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

International Captain StephenZA's Avatar
    Timeless ODI's ... keep going until both sides have batted 60 overs....
    "Here are the opinions on which my facts are based." - Humanity
    "Man occasionally stumbles on the truth, but then just picks himself up and hurries on regardless." - Anonymous

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information