Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Like Tree140Likes

Thread: Are England really favourites for CT17?

Quote Originally Posted by 91Jmay View Post
    Tahir has never bowled in England apart from last game where he was pumped. Not writing him off as clearly he is a very good bowler but I think it's fair to say English pitches are flattest in the world (or as flat as any other) and the groundsman for Edgbaston has said he won't be letting the ball spin like the last CT that was over here.

Morkel is a good bowler but again he has played 5 ODIs since 1st of Jan 2016, taking 5 wickets at 42s with an RPO of 6.2
    Tahir does not use much spin... he is a wicket to wicket bowler that tends to rush the batsmen. He plays in SA where we do have an occasional spinning wicket but things tend to be flat as well.

As for Morkel, he is just coming off an injury, if you want to say he is not going to be good enough because of the last 6 months, I say that he will only get better.
    zorax likes this.
    "The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they’ve found it."

"I have neither the time nor crayons to explain it to you...."

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Surely if he's coming off an injury and needs match overs to get better he'd not have missed the first 2 games in this series though?
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Cricketer Of The Year Black_Warrior's Avatar
    Isn't Tahir the number 1 ranked ODI bowler at the moment?
    "This is a clash of strategy. And of methods, culture and politics. This is a new-era rivalry. Not as ancient as the Ashes, or as passionate as India-Pakistan. Two countries that are so different, yet share rampant egotism, high self-opinion and a belief that being born in their country is superior to other births. This brings together a belligerent bunch of brats, bullies and braggers."- Jarrod Kimber

Quote Originally Posted by marc71178 View Post
    Surely if he's coming off an injury and needs match overs to get better he'd not have missed the first 2 games in this series though?
    I do think he needs match time and I am surprised that he has not been given it.... but the point is that if you going to only consider the last 6 months and 5 LO matches of his career then consider he was coming back from injury.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenZA View Post
    I do think he needs match time and I am surprised that he has not been given it.... but the point is that if you going to only consider the last 6 months and 5 LO matches of his career then consider he was coming back from injury.
    It's not 6 months though is it? He's not played in almost a year so calling it just coming off an injury does seem a little bit stretching the truth. Far too many question marks over him at this stage.

vcs
    Request Your Custom Title Now! vcs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Black_Warrior View Post
    Isn't Tahir the number 1 ranked ODI bowler at the moment?
    Yeah. He's absolutely world class in shorter formats and like Ajmal was for a while, easily the best spinner in the world in limited overs (except his action is legit as well).
    zorax likes this.

International Debutant srbhkshk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vcs View Post
    Yeah. He's absolutely world class in shorter formats and like Ajmal was for a while, easily the best spinner in the world in limited overs (except his action is legit as well).
    Sucks against India, Australia and England though and that I suspect is the reason why he is not being given enough respect. In a way it's fair too since those 3 are the top LOI sides apart from SA.
    Last edited by srbhkshk; 28-05-2017 at 11:30 AM.

International Regular Victor Ian's Avatar
    I don't like this. How am I meant to take a ODI tournament seriously when England are favourites? Is this proof of the multiverse?
    zorax likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Ian View Post
    I don't like this. How am I meant to take a ODI tournament seriously when England are favourites? Is this proof of the multiverse?
    Possibly.....

Mysterious "Cold Spot" in Space May Prove the Multiverse is Real | Mysterious Universe
    zorax and Victor Ian like this.

Cricketer Of The Year Black_Warrior's Avatar
    Did you google that after the post or you had come across it earlier?

vcs
    Request Your Custom Title Now! vcs's Avatar
    I think he's a physicist IRL.
    Magrat Garlick and zorax like this.

Cricket Spectator
    ENG should be very disappointed if they can't win one out of this CT and the next WC with that batting line up and home advantage.

Evil Scotsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    I wonder how many 300+ scores SA will need to concede before the idea their bowling attack is inherently better than ours fades away?

Took it as a given because so many other people did I think. Then they turned up. Rabada is a class act. Rest of the pace attack not so much. Phelukwayo, Morris and Parnell are not scary and not better than England's ODI seamers.
    Over-rating South Africa is the done thing round these parts.
    marc71178 and zorax like this.

International Regular CricAddict's Avatar
    If Stokes cannot bowl, that will be a big hit for England as he is their 6th bowler. They might have to bring in Willey for Rashid and expect Root to fill in.

Roy Hales Root Morgan Buttler Stokes Moeen Woakes Plunkett Willey Wood

Cricket Spectator
    Quote Originally Posted by CricAddict View Post
    If Stokes cannot bowl, that will be a big hit for England as he is their 6th bowler. They might have to bring in Willey for Rashid and expect Root to fill in.

Roy Hales Root Morgan Buttler Stokes Moeen Woakes Plunkett Willey Wood
    Willey has taken 4 wickets in his last 10 ODIs, not a bad ER of a little under 6rpo, but is not bowling even 7 overs all that often. As someone being used mostly just as a bowler ie not high enough up the order to count much as an all-rounder, his form and use seem to defy logic selecting him.

England have picked three batsmen-keeper, this is not terribly clever use of the squad although Bairstow could and arguably should be playing even without the gloves. Buttler in spite of his recent unbeaten fifty has scored just 118 runs at 16.86 in his last 8 ODI inns at near enough a run a ball, not exactly top form even if scored quickly enough.

Stokes is an injury worry, bowled 9-10 overs in just 3 of his last 14 ODIs and those were consecutive ODIs. His 11 wickets @ 490 in those ODIs is far from stellar, his batting form of 2 hundreds, 5 fifties and a couple of other scores of 40+ in that time is more than enough but he can't really be played as a batsman alone, surely?

England have two spin options, with Ali in the side there is a chance they won't use Rashid, and with Stokes an injury worry England might not feel Ali and Rashid is viable.

And someone please bring in Bairstow for Roy, the latter has scored a mere 50 runs @ 8.33 in his last 6 innings and at an SR of 59.53. It's bad enough he's not hitting runs, but the one time he might have taken his time (3rd ODI vs SAF) he didn't and 2 other times he has so to bat slowly and not score (many) runs in ODIs is just criminal.

So quite how England are favourites is a mystery. Maybe the names impress, plus that stat cricinfo came out with which worked up until the aforementioned 3rd ODI of England scoring lots of big scores - 10 in a row batting 1st, lowest was 296 (not now it isn't!) Problem is they didn't cite that England still managed to lose TWO of them! Or mention that 300 is not exactly a rare score these days

England could pick the line up Hales, Bairstow, Root, Morgan, Stokes, Buttler, Ali, Woakes, Plunkett, Wood and Ball

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread Information