Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Group B - India, Pakistan, South Africa, Sri Lanka

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend OverratedSanity's Avatar
    Babar's pretty damn good in ODI's isn't he?
    Quote Originally Posted by weldone View Post
    Wow baby, that gave me an orgasmic pleasure!
    Quote Originally Posted by ajaagarkarajaaja View Post
    All Prasie to Ajit Bhalchandra Agarkar, the pride of Mumbai, the terminator at Adelaide.
    Quote Originally Posted by VoL View Post
    I've joined this forum, just so that i can agree with OverratedSanity...

International Vice-Captain Niall's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tobe_ornot2 View Post
    I agree somewhat but we have to remember that a lot of the Indian batting order has yet to come into top form. I'm not sure how some of them are playing in the IPL but I've heard lots of good things about Gambhir and yet he is not in the squad. Somehow, MS and Yuvi have made it in. Also I remember a stat being run in the last Pak/WI ODI series and I don't remember India being all that high up in rr for ODI cricket. I think NZ, Aus and Eng topped out but I may be wrong.
    Rohit and Kohli are likely to bat a higher strike rate than the Pakistani top order. Yuvi is a tough one, past it, but has shown decent enough form recently. Dhoni giving it a wack in the IPL also.

Pandya is a type of lower order blaster that Pakistan would love, their version is Umar Akmal who has stagnated for so long. I don't think India is perfect, Dhawan faltering, Rahane is the Indian Ian Bell and the absence of Pant is depressing, but they look stronger on paper in all aspects, batting, fielding and arguably bowling.

Quote Originally Posted by OverratedSanity View Post

Very impressive numbers, looks his strongest format so far. Pakistan side is basically a side that belong a bygone era,accumulators galore. Sharjeel absence is a killer for them.

vcs
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall View Post
    Rohit and Kohli are likely to bat a higher strike rate than the Pakistani top order. Yuvi is a tough one, past it, but has shown decent enough form recently. Dhoni giving it a wack in the IPL also.

Pandya is a type of lower order blaster that Pakistan would love, their version is Umar Akmal who has stagnated for so long. I don't think India is perfect, Dhawan faltering, Rahane is the Indian Ian Bell and the absence of Pant is depressing, but they look stronger on paper in all aspects, batting, fielding and arguably bowling.

Very impressive numbers, looks his strongest format so far. Pakistan side is basically a side that belong a bygone era,accumulators galore. Sharjeel absence is a killer for them.
    Also mental strength and calmness which plays a big role in these kind of matches. Probably the most important factor TBH, when it comes to the lopsided record in ICC tournaments.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Chix love a man with a checkered posting history.

Cricket Web Staff Member Black_Warrior's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OverratedSanity View Post
    Good in the context of his team - Averages 50+ and is generally their best ODI batsman.

But his team is 15 years behind the top tier teams, so he is still at least 5 years behind the likes of Kohli, QDK, Warner, AB or even a Root.

Struggles with strike rotation, can take a fair bit of time to get set as well
    Cricket's moral worldview:

"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die."

Umar Akmal fails fitness tests, called back from England | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

Umar needs a long time out of the side, the very least he could do is get in shape as he is not exactly scoring a million runs these days.

Arjuna did just fine while failing those tests.
    ~ Do you think I care for you so little that betraying me would make a difference ~

Quote Originally Posted by harsh.ag View Post
    Arjuna did just fine while failing those tests.
    Fair point, fat lads have skills, but the issue with Umar is he would have more rope if he was bossing it in cricket and he isn't really. Arthur is fed up of Pakistani cricketers not been in shape and I don't blame him. Its absurd how older guys like Younis and Misbah are in absolutely peak conditions and the younger players like Akmal are constantly out of shape.

He drinks too much water
    Niall and vcs like this.

That was a totally different era. Most teams in the 90s had unfit players. Fitness standards now in cricket are totally different and one of the reasons for Pakistan's decline in LO is how far they are lagging behind.

Good decision. The only point to note is what kind of tests were conducted prior to the squad announcement that U Akmal managed to pass them?

Cricket, Lovely Cricket Pratters's Avatar
    Yesterday, a friend sent a meme to me which showed Pakistan as 'toilet' in a map. When I told him that the people there were just like they are in India, he started abusing Pakistan. The polarisation and anti Pakistan rhetoric in our country is dire to see. Will be dire to see these people bash Pakistan during the match. Usually, I look forward to these games but I would have preferred that we didn't have this game in the current environment of hate which exists.
    vcs likes this.

The political environment in the last 4-5 years in both the countries is the worst I have seen in my lifetime. I thought the Shiv Sena destroying the Delhi pitch in 1999 and protesting against the tour was bad but this is on a whole new level. The jingoism and hatred on both sides is reaching scary levels now and I really fear for that region.

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Warrior View Post
    The political environment in the last 4-5 years in both the countries is the worst I have seen in my lifetime.
    Come on, the two countries were literally fighting an actual war in 1999.
    Shri likes this.

That is different though. War time relations cannot be compared with normal times. But what I am referring to is the hatred and vitriol and alarmingly dangerous pronouncement of 'anti national' and 'treachery' that is seen on various mediums - media/new channels, not to mention FB/Twitter in both countries. Maybe 99 didn't have twitter so it wasn't as loud but the kind of stuff I see on a daily basis on social media today is unbelievable.
    A good example, every time an Indian cricketer or commentator paid tribute to Misbah/Younis on twitter recently, almost all of them got called out for being 'traitors' and 'praising the enemy'

Last year when Afridi said in a Press conference in India during World T20 how much he was appreciated by the Indian crowd, he got called out in Pakistan for being disloyal. This is Afridi - the single most loved and popular cricketer in Pakistan

This is unprecedented. I have never seen Indian/Pakistani players/commentators facing that kind of backlash for praising each other. Not even in 1999.
    Last edited by Black_Warrior; 23-05-2017 at 11:29 PM.
    Pratters likes this.

Ah, you're right about that. The government we elected in obviously didn't help matters.
    Pratters likes this.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information