• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group A - Australia, Bangladesh, England, New Zealand

Moss

International Vice-Captain
England and Australia for mine, though I don't expect them to have it that easy. Good opportunity for BD to show they can hold their own in a tough group, they remind me quite a bit of mid-90's NZ.

NZ look alright on paper but have regressed as an ODI side since 2015. Bowling's good enough on its day (Santner for Vettori circa 2013-15 is a decent replacement) but the 5th/6th is a major problem. Likewise, with the batting, get past Ross Taylor and it's a soft underbelly. Was much the same in 2015 but there was Elliott to stabilize things, and Anderson seemed a better player then.

The Hutt Rec

England and Australia for mine, though I don't expect them to have it that easy. Good opportunity for BD to show they can hold their own in a tough group, they remind me quite a bit of mid-90's NZ.

NZ look alright on paper but have regressed as an ODI side since 2015. Bowling's good enough on its day (Santner for Vettori circa 2013-15 is a decent replacement) but the 5th/6th is a major problem. Likewise, with the batting, get past Ross Taylor and it's a soft underbelly. Was much the same in 2015 but there was Elliott to stabilize things, and Anderson seemed a better player then.
Yes, and also Latham or Ronchi opening for 2015-McCullum is a bad swap as well.

I don't really see NZ knocking off Australia or England to make it through ... but it is a world event and they often surprise, so I'm not giving up on them just yet.

Moss

I don't really see NZ knocking off Australia or England to make it through ... but it is a world event and they often surprise, so I'm not giving up on them just yet.
Still feel there's an effective ODI player in Latham yet if he's committed to ironing out his weaknesses. Guptill has compensated for the exit of McCullum to an extent, but is having to shoulder ridiculous levels of responsibility a la 90's Tendulkar.

Surely the prospect of Ronchi vs Starc and Hazlewood with the new ball is enough to dispel any ideas of him opening.

The Hutt Rec

Ok, after last night I'm now officially giving up on them.

SL Bada

Cricket Spectator
This is the tougher group since NZ can challenge ENG and AUS. SA and IND should easily go through in the other one.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Incredible, the trajectory of both NZ and England's ODI sides since the World Cup. Very true that sometimes the biggest lessons can be learned through defeat. England's ODI side looks absolutely awesome, near the perfect mix. Ours has holes all over it.

Biggest trouble is, on these belting English decks our death bowling has the potential to go for unforeseen levels of travel.

burr

State Vice-Captain
Is Coulter-Nile (sp?) in the Aus squad and if not why not? Always thought he was pretty decent in the lo stuff.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Been busy, so only just caught up with the NZ/Ind warm-up scorecard, & can't say I'm surprised. NZ are extremely susceptible to getting rolled with the bat given they rely on just 3 world class batsmen, followed by several hit & miss all-rounders.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Incredible, the trajectory of both NZ and England's ODI sides since the World Cup. Very true that sometimes the biggest lessons can be learned through defeat. England's ODI side looks absolutely awesome, near the perfect mix. Ours has holes all over it.

Biggest trouble is, on these belting English decks our death bowling has the potential to go for unforeseen levels of travel.
There's always a chance they could surprise us, I mean right now the bowlers are going for unforeseen levels of travel in the warmup against SL and it's not even the death overs yet :dry:. Yet more questions on the best mix of bowlers and all-rounders.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
There's always a chance they could surprise us, I mean right now the bowlers are going for unforeseen levels of travel in the warmup against SL and it's not even the death overs yet :dry:. Yet more questions on the best mix of bowlers and all-rounders.
To be far, looks like it must be flat as absolute **** given we've chased it down with ease and our best two batsmen retired. And from Perera's dismissal on 42 overs, we conceded less than 7s so that's not bad at all.

Interesting that Mitch, who Hesson said was our best death bowler, didn't bowl after the 34th.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
To be far, looks like it must be flat as absolute **** given we've chased it down with ease and our best two batsmen retired. And from Perera's dismissal on 42 overs, we conceded less than 7s so that's not bad at all.

Interesting that Mitch, who Hesson said was our best death bowler, didn't bowl after the 34th.
Yes it must have been very flat, and the top order scored runs which is a strength at the moment.

Surely they must know who the best XI is by now, and yet there is still a lot of fiddling around with the middle and lower order makeup of the side, and the keeper/opener, and who bowls how many overs and at what times during the innings. It's a little confusing.

So pitches for this tournament will be a mix of the recent 350 vs 350 type roads with a few swining seamers as well? Would make for interesting contrast.