Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Like Tree186Likes

Thread: Group A - Australia, Bangladesh, England, New Zealand

I'm shocked that anyone wouldn't want McClenaghan there if fit ... thought he was our best limited overs bowler the season before last, before his injury troubles.
    _Ed_ likes this.

Cricket Web Staff Member Black_Warrior's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    To be honest, suspect England's batting more likely to go ballistic against NZ than Bangladesh.
    I think we're less likely to see the recent high scoring run fests that we have seen during India-England or Australia-South Africa or WC 2015 where 380 plays 350 given the timing of the tournament. The usual high scoring games where England blast their way usually takes place during England's regular ODI season in September. The June period might see some help for the bowlers.

We'll still see high scores, but at a lower scale if the previous tournament around the same time is anything to go by, more like 280-330

Results | ICC Champions Trophy | ESPN Cricinfo
    Last edited by Black_Warrior; 27-04-2017 at 09:52 PM.
    Cricket's moral worldview:

"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die."

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Black_Warrior View Post
    I think we're less likely to see the recent high scoring run fests that we have seen during India-England or Australia-South Africa or WC 2015 where 380 plays 350 given the timing of the tournament. The usual high scoring games where England blast their way usually takes place during England's regular ODI season in September. The June period might see some help for the bowlers.

We'll still see high scores, but at a lower scale if the previous tournament around the same time is anything to go by, more like 280-330

Results | ICC Champions Trophy | ESPN Cricinfo
    The series which started this England fast scoring took place at exactly the same time of the year as this tournament is going to so not sure your hypothesis is right...
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Australia should top this group comfortably.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

#408. Sixty three not out forever.

Quote Originally Posted by marc71178 View Post
    The series which started this England fast scoring took place at exactly the same time of the year as this tournament is going to so not sure your hypothesis is right...
    My hypothesis is based on the previous Champions Trophy but I take your point.

vcs
    Quote Originally Posted by zorax View Post
    See that makes no sense. My avvie is BD player. I supported BD over India in every match the two sides have faced in. Not once in my life have I rooted against BD. I was involved in the Nat setup for BD in Battrick, FTP and Stumped.

Flip-flopping Indian fan? Sure. Newbie bandwagoner for Hong Kong? Fair enough. But I'm as committed a BD fan as you'll ever see.

Which is why us thrashing your lot will be so much fun. I bet England still have the scars from the Test match #Dhaka2016 #NeverForget
    Surely you must be due for some lifetime contribution award from Bangladesh Cricket Board by now.
    zorax and Samuel_Vimes like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Chix love a man with a checkered posting history.

Quote Originally Posted by vcs View Post
    Surely you must be due for some lifetime contribution award from Bangladesh Cricket Board by now.
    IKR. All this and I haven't even been to their country. I'm the best fan they've never had.
    vcs likes this.
    Check out The Cricket Web Podcast!

The Cricket Web Podcast #33 - I Just Wanna Talk About Vernon Philander

iTunes
    SoundCloud

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    If only Kane Richardson had played some HK domestic cricket before his ODI debut.
    Quote Originally Posted by S.Kennedy View Post
    The Hong Kong Blitz is better than the IPL.

Cricketer Of The Year straw man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Hutt Rec View Post
    I'm shocked that anyone wouldn't want McClenaghan there if fit ... thought he was our best limited overs bowler the season before last, before his injury troubles.
    You reckon? The very definition of hit or miss imo. For starters I think we have 3 or 4 better new-ball ODI bowlers. I'll give him that he's a better death bowler than Henry and playing the IPL surely helps him improve from matchplay in those pressure situations. Probably slightly better than Southee at the death too, though it's not like he's great. So, I don't disagree with his selection over Henry, but it's not one I'm overly excited about either.

International Debutant S.Kennedy's Avatar
    England's hysterical media and some of the fans are overrating England's chances for this competition like England football fans overrated their 1990s - 00 'urine generation' duds in successive FIFA World Cups. You do know that there are other teams competing and the thing has to be played out?

I do think that the England ODI team post WC 2015 is a tad overrated purely because of the way they play which is such a contrast to what people are used to expect from England ODI teams throughout history.

Yes they are a vastly improved side than anything England have put forward this side of the 92 World Cup, but at best they are mid tier side based on results since WC 2015

New Zealand: 3-2
    Australia: 2-3
    Pakistan: 3-1
    South Africa: 2-3
    Pakistan: 4-1
    Bangladesh: 2-1
    India: 1-2
    West Indies: 3-0

The only impressive result from the above is the 3-2 against New Zealand. Otherwise, they have lost to every other top side and the ones they have beaten are the likes of Pakistan and West Indies, the two bottom ranked ODI sides in the world. Winning in Bangladesh was impressive too.

So that's 2 wins and 3 losses against decent sides. Not a bad record by any means, but that's a mid tier team, not a top team.

Master of the house, keeper of the zoo...
    Nah **** you both. England should win this comfortably.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Smith
    We've had a lot of collapses in the last couple of years, I think in our last 15 games we've had 14 collapses or something like that.

England have only won one ICC competition ever and they're being hyped up as if they are some sort of one-day superpower. I mean even in their home one-day series victories they tend to leak the odd defeat. Isn't this a knock-out competition?

Cricket Web Staff Member Howe_zat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by S.Kennedy View Post
    England have only won one ICC competition ever and they're being hyped up as if they are some sort of one-day superpower. I mean even in their home one-day series victories they tend to leak the odd defeat. Isn't this a knock-out competition?
    I see that you've not been sufficiently outraged by posts on the forum so have made something up to pop your monocle over.

unless you say by who and when this is pointless gibberish
    Adders and zorax like this.
    I get a nod, the tiny smile that doesn't come with teeth
    Maybe you don't know who I am

England performed well in the 2015 Champions Trophy with a less talented side.

Knockout cricket is always unpredictable though.

Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    I see that you've not been sufficiently outraged by posts on the forum so have made something up to pop your monocle over.

unless you say by who and when this is pointless gibberish
    Huh?

Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread Information