• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group A - Australia, Bangladesh, England, New Zealand

Athlai

Not Terrible
Yepp this is why C9's coverage of cricket in Australia is such a rip roaring success and last summer's season had CA laughing their way to the bank.
Cricket Australia actually announced that this was their highest attended season ever. I fully expect their end of year financial statement this month to be killing it. The C9 talks are really very exaggerated.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Cricket Australia actually announced that this was their highest attended season ever. I fully expect their end of year financial statement this month to be killing it. The C9 talks are really very exaggerated.

Gaping loss projections for the 2016-17 home summer have underlined the pivotal importance of Cricket Australia's forthcoming negotiations for new broadcast deals, both at home and in the spinally lucrative Asian market.

At an otherwise straightforward Cricket Australia AGM at the MCG on Thursday, a graph presented by the governing body's new chief financial officer Todd Shand stuck out for its frankness. After posting an A$98 million surplus for 2014-15, and a more modest A$9 million for 2015-16, the projection for this financial year plunged through the floor to the tune of a A$68 million loss for the visits of South Africa and Pakistan.

While CA are in robust financial shape, with cash reserves of nearly $150 million and a well-established four-year revenue cycle to factor in the fluctuations created by inbound summer visitors - essentially India tours bankrolling all others - the sharp change from one year to another made for stark viewing.
Projected $68m loss for Cricket Australia makes TV deals crucial | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
My article about them saying it was their biggest summer ever by attendance actually took place after their summer, instead of before it though. That article seems like it's their Q1 forecast

SL Bada

Cricket Spectator
NZ will be praying for another solid performance by ENG on Saturday. They need to beat BAN and rain first though.

Athlai

Not Terrible

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Ok I think this one also adds the BBL attendance. Pretty sure both the test series were duds. I was at the Boxing Day test and attendance was very very low and no one watches on C9 either

Last edited:

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Australia does have a World T20 coming up, don't they?

Would love for NZ to get either competition at some stage. If West Indies can host them then I don't see why NZ can't.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ok I think this one also adds the BBL attendance. Pretty sure both the test series were duds. I was at the Boxing Day test and attendance was very very low and no one watches on C9 either
Yeah no one in Melbourne cares bout South Africa or Pakistan. Or anyone except England really. Except if India/SL tour, still most people don't care but the ground will be full of India/SL supporters.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
I know which takes me to my original point - that cricket is not a major event in Australia..not sure why people get so defensive about it. You can love cricket immensely and acknowledge that it's not a mainstream popular sport.

Last edited:

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I know which takes me to my original point - that cricket is not a major event in Australia..not sure why people get so defensive about it. You can love cricket and acknowledge that it's not a mainstream popular sport.
This has been some weird reading this last 2 pages. Your original point (or comment) was this......

Australia can barely generate interest in cricket beyond Ashes and India series. A world tournament would be a damp squib there.
Burgey quite rightly called you out on the bolded part.......because it's rubbish. The WC in Aus/NZ was a success and matches were well attended, far from a damp squib.

And as for cricket not being a mainstream popular sport in Aus, I disagree with that as well. I'll accept that interest may well be on the wane compared to a decade ago but their home summer of cricket still generates a lot of interest amongst the general public and look at the success of the BBL.

91Jmay

International Coach
The WC attendences were **** for lots of games, but they are everywhere in the world. Most teams struggle to sell out their own teams, let alone two neutral teams. Reason it goes to England so often is Bangladesh/Sri Lanka for e.g will get a decent crowd where as 150 people would watch it in South Africa.