• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group A - Australia, Bangladesh, England, New Zealand

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
^ So is London and Birmingham. What you can criticise though is the ****** weather which is likely to hamper a number of games

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
Woakes out of the tournament.

Guessing Finn will come back since they probably want to change the bowling more than get more allrounders.

91Jmay

International Coach
There might be something to be said that, if you're of a certain mindset (or more precisely if you lack a certain mindset), you'll find your own anthem particularly cringeworthy from sheer over-exposure.
I don't believe in god and I'm a republican, so yeah it doesn't float my boat

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Woakes out of the tournament.

Guessing Finn will come back since they probably want to change the bowling more than get more allrounders.
Urgh, I hope not. Finn goes away, consistently gets outbowled by everyone he plays with at a lower level and keeps getting called up again, Piss him off and make him at least tap on the door

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Do you not like the fact it's hybrid? Because Nkosi Sikelel iAfrika has such power and emotion for obvious reasons.
I don't know what any of the words mean but I like the music
"Nkosi Sikelel iAfrika" Lord Bless Africa; is a hymn that was developed by an African clergyman. It is exceptionally powerful. It is very much part of a number of African movements and African countries histories and a few have taken it as their anthem in the past.

Our actual anthem. The first two choruses of the hymn have been taken for the SA anthem, using Xhosa and Zulu for first chorus and Sesotho for the second. The 3rd section in Afrikaans (when all the white people join in!) is from 'Die Stem' original SA anthem, ending with a few lines in English. 'Die Stem' is a very powerful and beautiful poem that became the SA's anthem during apartheid as well as being integral to the Afrikaans culture and history.

Thus the anthem is a hodgepodge of ideas and languages tacked together to allow everybody to save face. And then its overly long! Every time I hear it all I see is a giant compromise, not doing any parts of the originals hymns true justice; thus I feel no pride or real emotion around our anthem. Our flag went through a similar thing but was dealt with far better, in that it was replaced outright (through a national competition) with the new flag we have today and I love our new flag, SA should have done the same thing and created a new (shorter) anthem altogether that each person could get behind, without all the political compromise and background context.

SeamUp

International Coach
"Nkosi Sikelel iAfrika" Lord Bless Africa; is a hymn that was developed by an African clergyman. It is exceptionally powerful. It is very much part of a number of African movements and African countries histories and a few have taken it as their anthem in the past.

Our actual anthem. The first two choruses of the hymn have been taken for the SA anthem, using Xhosa and Zulu for first chorus and Sesotho for the second. The 3rd section in Afrikaans (when all the white people join in!) is from 'Die Stem' original SA anthem, ending with a few lines in English. 'Die Stem' is a very powerful and beautiful poem that became the SA's anthem during apartheid as well as being integral to the Afrikaans culture and history.

Thus the anthem is a hodgepodge of ideas and languages tacked together to allow everybody to save face. And then its overly long! Every time I hear it all I see is a giant compromise, not doing any parts of the originals hymns true justice; thus I feel no pride or real emotion around our anthem. Our flag went through a similar thing but was dealt with far better, in that it was replaced outright (through a national competition) with the new flag we have today and I love our new flag, SA should have done the same thing and created a new (shorter) anthem altogether that each person could get behind, without all the political compromise and background context.
The English part very much an after thought with no great history :laugh:

Flem274*

123/5
the west indian "anthem" is amazing. the nation of scary fast bowlers and big hitting batsmen has a camp little jig as their anthem of several nations

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
at least this means you guys have joined a noble tradition: most anthems have a section where the de facto text goes "ner ner ner ner NER NER NER".

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Absolute joke that Finn has been selected yet again, but no less than expected.

Despite figures that look decent against South Africa A, he got pummelled up front and all bar 1 of the wickets was a lower order/tailender. Plenty more deserving candidates, I have no idea why they keep going back to him.