• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

7th June - Group B - Pakistan v South Africa

Who will win this match?

• Total voters

James

Cricket Web Owner
Wed Jun 7 (50 ovs) 13:30 local (12:30 GMT | 22:30 AEST | 22:00 ACST | 20:30 AWST)

Group B - Pakistan v South Africa
Edgbaston, Birmingham

SeamUp

International Coach
Edgbaston has been flowing with runs if you look at the warm-up games & the Kiwis too set-up for 350 at one stage.

Heboric

International Debutant
I dont really follow the ongoings of Pakistan cricket but where is Yasir Shah for Pakistan ?
Is he injured ?

Last edited:

Niall

International Coach
I dont really follow the ongoings of Pakistan cricket but where is Yasir Shah for Pakistan ?
Is he injured ?
Not much of a limited overs bowler, can't really justify picking him with Wasim and Khan about.

Pakistan need to look at binning at least one of Shezhad and Hafeez, Zaman and Sohail the obvious replacements. I'd assume Junaid replacing Riaz is a cert.

tobe_ornot2

Banned
Sa will have a settled side so they can play the exact side as last time. Pakistan need drastic changes and I'd go with:

Ali
Shehzad (last chance)
Zaman
Azam
Malik
Sarfraz wk c
Shadab
Ashraf
Amir
Hassan
Khan

No need for Imad , especially against hard hitting sa side. Shadab gets turn and can bat just as well or bad. Ashraf looks like a decent bowler ABD can certainly strike it.

And hafeez and riaz obviously need to be sent home.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Azhar
Fakhar
Babar
Haris (If Hafeez is not bowling, don't see what he's doing in the team)
Malik
Sarfraz
Shadab
Fahim
Hassan
Amir
Junaid

tobe_ornot2

Banned
Azhar
Fakhar
Babar
Haris (If Hafeez is not bowling, don't see what he's doing in the team)
Malik
Sarfraz
Shadab
Fahim
Hassan
Amir
Junaid
I'm pretty sure I've seen Haris Sohail play before and he looked all over the place. But whetehr its keeping Shehzad or not, Pakistan need to bring in Zaman.

smash84

The Tiger King
This will be a another hiding for Pakistan. No matter what they do they're just 2 decades behind the rest of the world. Can't just catch up overnight.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Shehzad out, Fakhar Zaman in the squad. With Sharjeel gone, Fakhar-Azhar should be the combo to persist with in preparation for the World Cup. It's not ideal but it's the best available. Shehzad needs to be booted out right about and Fakhar needs at least 2 solid years in international cricket before the World Cup.

Last edited:

Niall

International Coach
Shehzad out, Fakhar Zaman in the squad. With Sharjeel gone, Fakhar-Azhar should be the combo to persist with in preparation for the World Cup. It's not ideal but it's the best available. Shehzad needs to be booted out right about and Fakhar needs at least 2 solid years in international cricket before the World Cup.
I am content with Shezhad in the test squad, but enough is enough regarding limited overs cricket. I'd also agree Farkhar and Azhar opening is the way to go. I admit Azhar is not the ideal long term option, but this is not like when England decided to bin Bell and Cook because they had numerous younger guns who would likely enhance the team, Pakistan don't have those options. Azhar will have to do for now.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Correct. And Azhar can somewhat score close to 90 SR if he gets someone like Sharjeel or Fakhar or Babar from the other end. His innings against West Indies last year was a good example. Even against India he started well, but Shehzad, Babar's wickets and then Hafeez's horrid show created pressure on him and he got bogged down.
Again, he is a great ODI batsman and will never be, but if 2,3 and 4 are Fakhar, Babar, Haris, then you can build a top order around that.

I don't want Shehzad in the Test squad either. There is no way I will prefer him over Sami Aslam.

Last edited:

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hopefully Fakhar plays. I don't think any point in time in cricket has been so full of great names as this one. Dickwella, de Kock, Root, Willey, Ball, Fakhar.

tobe_ornot2

Banned
Pakistan beat a pretty strong SA side in 2015 and with the saffers not the best at handling tight situations, Pak have a shout but they have to select the right side.

I'd still pick SA as faves lol

91Jmay

International Coach
South Africa could score as many as they want if they bat first here. 400+ if the weather stays away.

srbhkshk

International Captain
IMO there are basically two ways in which Pakistan can win this game -

1. Similar to what I thought was possible for the India game, hope that the pitch offers something for the pacers , swing the ball and hope for a good lollapse from SA. (This strategy requires Sarfraz to not be full ****** and go to a spinner in the second over of the game after an excellent first over by a pacer.). This was more likely against India though, less chances of this happening against SA.

2. A different one which would not have worked against India (because Kohli), is to bat first and try getting to 270+ somehow. SA have a tendency to come under pressure while chasing. (Especially if you can pick up ABD/Amla without much damage.)

I don't see any other likely way of Pakistan winning, overall I would say 85-15 in favor of SA.

tobe_ornot2

Banned
IMO there are basically two ways in which Pakistan can win this game -

1. Similar to what I thought was possible for the India game, hope that the pitch offers something for the pacers , swing the ball and hope for a good lollapse from SA. (This strategy requires Sarfraz to not be full ****** and go to a spinner in the second over of the game after an excellent first over by a pacer.). This was more likely against India though, less chances of this happening against SA.

2. A different one which would not have worked against India (because Kohli), is to bat first and try getting to 270+ somehow. SA have a tendency to come under pressure while chasing. (Especially if you can pick up ABD/Amla without much damage.)

I don't see any other likely way of Pakistan winning, overall I would say 85-15 in favor of SA.
Pretty much.

Pakistan will have to force the pace and look to cruch SA with pressure .

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
The problem with that template is that pitches are not prepared for that kind of cricket anymore nor do Pakistan have the bowling attack anymore. With 2 new balls and no reverse swing, Pakistan do not have the skills to pick up wickets later in the innings, nor do they have Saeed Ajmal to give them breakthroughs in the middle overs.

The best bet is to have Amir/Junaid pick up a few early in the innings when batsmen are still cautious and then hope that pressure restricts South Africa.

But then they'll still have to bat out of their skin and match a total that is still quite high by their standards

Ridhwa Sarkar

Cricket Spectator
No.He is not injured.He is replaced by the young spiner.M.Amir as been fab as usual.but where are the others?i have heard,in Pak fast bowlers are found every corner,now the entire team is thrown in a corner by us (india).Why do't they take help from Akram?& Pak batting..ha!ha!.nothing to say.shame on them.