• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

1st June - Group A - England v Bangladesh

Who will win this match?

• Total voters

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Yeah but the same history also suggests that they will be conceding 300+ a lot as well, even when the other team is chasing.

The 65 / 487 stat is a bit misleading and is probably skewed by the test nations playing against minnows in ODIs. In the current flat pitches in ODIs and average English attack a chase of 300 is actually 55-45 advantage to the chasing side imo.
Restricting it to games between Test sides its 59 out of 399 so still quite a low percentage. Even in the last 5 years it's 22 out of 125. Regardless of what people say about run scoring being easier, chasing down 300 is not an easy matter. Admittedly England have lost 7 out of the 21 times they've hit 300 batting first in the last 5 years, but restrict it to since the World Cup and it's 4 out of 15 - nowhere near 55%.

Long-Hop

Cricket Spectator
Not in England they haven't.
To be fair they've only played six ODIs in England, the one win to Bangladesh in 2010 when England's bowling attack included Shahzad, Yardy and Wright, but the loss by 5 runs perhaps down to no support for often maligned for his snail pace Trott scoring 94.

Still Bangladesh have won four of the last seven ODIs, including two in tournaments (2011 and 2015 World Cup), and despite just being skittled by India for an embarrassing margin of defeat this week had beaten the kiwis very recently just across the water in Dublin.

England's bowling may hold the key, in this game and the tournament. Whilst Morgan may feel England have "learned a lesson" from the humbling defeat against South Africa, how can you know until you play similar conditions/situations and come through them?!?!? Otherwise you were taught a lesson and not paying attention even then! (or incapable of doing anything about it)

I'd be surprised if Bangladesh beat England, but that said isn't that the nature of surprise defeats........? England wouldn't have lost 4 ODIs and a Test to Bangladesh if surprise defeats weren't possible....

tobe_ornot2

Banned
2nd ODI: India v Australia at Jaipur, Oct 16, 2013 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

6th ODI: India v Australia at Nagpur, Oct 30, 2013 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

350+ has been chased down successfuly 5 times and India did it 3 out of those 5 times

Pretty sure they also have the most successful 300+ chases

Not sure where this "India are a weak ODI side" comes from.
That's from 4 years ago. I clearly mentioned wc 2015 onwards. India's batting has been vastly overrated in tha ttime period. Like I said, 8 scores of 300 or more in that time, the same as Pakistan who are regarded as having a weak batting line up (they did so in fewer innings too I believe). 3 of those 8 300 + scores for India came in the flattest wickets of all time in one of the highest scoring series ever against England. On wickets where the ball does a bit more, India failed to chase scores of 260 or less twice against NZ and they had similar failings in the home series they lost to SA. Nowhere near the consistent rampage put on by the likes of England and Aus in recent times.

Btw, I never said India is weak, I said it's the weakest ODI side I've seen from them (Same goes for Pak and SL) in a long, long time. In terms of the 3 traditional asian sides, India is the strongest but it's not quite the batting powerhouse it is made out to be AND some of its batsmen have just found form after a while. The likes of Yuvi and Dhoni still don't fill me with confidence. Kohli has pretty rubbish numbers in England and so on.

Again, all of this is in response to you thinking India will likely chase 350 more often than other teams, I simply believe Eng, Aus and SA will be better at it, not that India can't or for that matter, Pak or SL.

srbhkshk

International Captain
Restricting it to games between Test sides its 59 out of 399 so still quite a low percentage. Even in the last 5 years it's 22 out of 125. Regardless of what people say about run scoring being easier, chasing down 300 is not an easy matter. Admittedly England have lost 7 out of the 21 times they've hit 300 batting first in the last 5 years, but restrict it to since the World Cup and it's 4 out of 15 - nowhere near 55%.
Guess I'm wrong about 55% then, I was really going by my gut and it still seems to me like England will find it hard to defend 300, but clearly the stats don't agree.

tobe_ornot2

Banned
england might go with Stokes as a batsman only, which imo would be very bad. He is not good neough to be in the side on his batting alone and is far too inconsistent...with Roy and Hales also in the big hitting but inconsistent category, England would be carrying too much excess weight.

Anyway, let's hope Stokes is fit enough to bowl.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
That's from 4 years ago. I clearly mentioned wc 2015 onwards. India's batting has been vastly overrated in tha ttime period. Like I said, 8 scores of 300 or more in that time, the same as Pakistan who are regarded as having a weak batting line up (they did so in fewer innings too I believe). 3 of those 8 300 + scores for India came in the flattest wickets of all time in one of the highest scoring series ever against England. On wickets where the ball does a bit more, India failed to chase scores of 260 or less twice against NZ and they had similar failings in the home series they lost to SA. Nowhere near the consistent rampage put on by the likes of England and Aus in recent times.

Btw, I never said India is weak, I said it's the weakest ODI side I've seen from them (Same goes for Pak and SL) in a long, long time. In terms of the 3 traditional asian sides, India is the strongest but it's not quite the batting powerhouse it is made out to be AND some of its batsmen have just found form after a while. The likes of Yuvi and Dhoni still don't fill me with confidence. Kohli has pretty rubbish numbers in England and so on.

Again, all of this is in response to you thinking India will likely chase 350 more often than other teams, I simply believe Eng, Aus and SA will be better at it, not that India can't or for that matter, Pak or SL.
The 4 years ago argument is irrelevant when it's the same team pretty much at it's core (especially in terms of the batting). There are teams that have changed personnel considerably in that period - England, Pakistan, Australia. Not India. The likes of Rohit, Kohli, Dhawan, the top 3 instrumental in those mammoth chases are the top 3 today. England, Aus and SA might be better at it than they were before, but India is hands down the best 300+ chasing side and the data of the last 5 years will attest to that.

Like I said, 8 scores of 300 or more in that time, the same as Pakistan who are regarded as having a weak batting line up (they did so in fewer innings too I believe). 3 of those 8 300 + scores for India came in the flattest wickets of all time in one of the highest scoring series ever against England.
300-350 plus scores tend to come in flat pitches, and tend to get chased down on flat pitches too.

Btw, I never said India is weak, I said it's the weakest ODI side I've seen from them (Same goes for Pak and SL) in a long, long time.
I just don't buy this argument. This is the strongest that I have seen simply for the fact that along with Rohit, Dhawan, Kohli, 3 of the best LO batsmen today, they have also bowled out the opposition cheaply in both their warm ups, a complete anomaly to the rest of the warm ups. This is pretty much the same attack that bowled out teams in World Cup 2015, one of the key factors that team made it to the SF despite under performance from their top order

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Guess I'm wrong about 55% then, I was really going by my gut and it still seems to me like England will find it hard to defend 300, but clearly the stats don't agree.
I guess the point here isn't how good England are at defending 300+ overall. I am pretty sure most teams will have more successful 300+ totals than not. The question is do we see England defending 300+ against sides like Australia and India? In CT, you will find yourself against the top tier teams pretty fast and if you want to win, you will have to overcome those sides.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
I dont feel good about today. Bangladesh is mostly about momentum. We lost that in last couple of games. Shakib is in bad form. Shabbir is not clicking at #3. Taskin went downhill and Rubel is too inconsistent to rely on. No lower order power. We will lose heavily.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Taskin should not be selected today

Tamim
Soumya
Imrul/Sabbir
Mushfiq
Shakib
Mahmudullah
Mosaddek
Mehedi
Masrafe
Mustafiz
Rubel

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
The whole season we have been playing Shabbir at 3 and now the crunch time batting line up is shuffled. Well done

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Not playing Rashid is kinda interesting. Suggests Stokes might not be completely fit (although they have denied that). Not something I would have done based on the info available to me.