• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Semi Final 1 - England v South Africa

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
If I was de Villiers, I'd open the attack with Lopsy and Robbie P. Steyn back is a big positive for South Africa, but I can think of worse opening bowlers for Cook and Bell to have to face at the start of an ODI. Peterson has got Bell out opening the bowling before (Chennai and Trent Bridge) and I'd leave Steyn to more deal with Root, Morgan, Buttler and Ravi in the middle and back end of the innings. I think Bell, and Cook to an extent, are much more comfortable with pace on the ball to get going in limited overs cricket, so if I was in the South African camp, I'd try to prevent them from getting it.

Will be interesting to see what they go with anyway.

King Pietersen

International Captain
Steyn's improved recently against England in ODi's. In the 4 games he's played against us in the last 3 years, he's taken 6 wickets at 23.33 with an economy of 4.03. I'm sure they'll be happy that one of the best bowlers in the world is out.

England win toss and bowl. Hopefully it'll nip around, and Finn and Jimmy bowl well up top.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Swann and Bres out. Tail looking poo. Please don't be tempted to play Woakes.
No, they've gone with Finn.

I'm OK with that, even if it does leave our last 4 realtively weak.

Of course, sod's law is that the day we don't have Bres & Swann at 8 & 9 is the day our top 3 all fail and we actually need some runs from the lower order.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
The bowling actually looks stronger now. We're relying on Morgan and Buttler actually doing something, though, although the tail can't do quite as badly as they did in the last match.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
The bowling actually looks stronger now. We're relying on Morgan and Buttler actually doing something, though, although the tail can't do quite as badly as they did in the last match.
Maybe. I'd take Swann ahead of Tredwell, even allowing for the latter's good performances lately. And Bres has put in some very good performances, albeit with some occasional dross. I still think Finn couild go either way, whatever the rankings might say. I think the impact on our batting > than any possible improvement in our bowling.

But you're dead right about the need for Morgan and Buttler to do something significant.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
the tail shouldn't matter with the top 7 england have selected and it's not like broad and tredwell are completely useless.

stumpski

International Captain
South Africa's anthem is quite jolly isn't it! And Morgan was clearly thinking "she's not my queen."

Supposed to be hot later, but good bowling conditions for now.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
You would have to be crazy if you think England would rather not have to face Steyn when the alternative is Rory Kleinveldt.

Howe_zat

Audio File
South Africa's anthem is quite jolly isn't it! And Morgan was clearly thinking "she's not my queen."

Supposed to be hot later, but good bowling conditions for now.
I've imagined how you might get around the anthem-singing if like me you're not a fan of the Queen, God, or even that big on saving people. But I suppose if you're an international sportsman it must grow on you after a while.

~

Plumb.

King Pietersen

International Captain
Great start. Jimmy getting it to swing. Didn't look out to me on first view, but on the initial replay it looked pretty close. Just a tad high, but we'll see on hawkeye.