Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Semi Final 1 - England v South Africa

Semi Final 1 - England v South Africa

For discussion surrounding the England v South Africa semi final.

Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    If I was de Villiers, I'd open the attack with Lopsy and Robbie P. Steyn back is a big positive for South Africa, but I can think of worse opening bowlers for Cook and Bell to have to face at the start of an ODI. Peterson has got Bell out opening the bowling before (Chennai and Trent Bridge) and I'd leave Steyn to more deal with Root, Morgan, Buttler and Ravi in the middle and back end of the innings. I think Bell, and Cook to an extent, are much more comfortable with pace on the ball to get going in limited overs cricket, so if I was in the South African camp, I'd try to prevent them from getting it.

Will be interesting to see what they go with anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    This English top three are cornflakes. They're not the most exciting thing out but they're pretty effective. Then the middle order are the sugar. Would be too much on their own but added to the cornflakes they add some much needed interest

When KP returns he will be the banana..

I'm intrigued as to what new way South Africa are going to choke in a knockout game.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Is this a D/N game?

Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    Nah. So anyone who does things on a Wednesday afternoon can't watch much of it.

International Regular King Pietersen's Avatar
    Good news for England. Steyn's failed a fitness test, and is out of the game.
    www.proudtofight.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cricinfo
    Styris to Pietersen, SIX, wow, what a shot, that is awesome...it's a repeat of his six off Muralitharan at Edgbaston, as he switches his grip and reverse-hits Styris over deep cover (or should that be deep square-leg) for a memorable maximum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cricinfo
    Styris to Pietersen, SIX, that's the most extraordinary shot, he switches his grip to that of a left-hander and launches Stryis high over long-off for a might six. That is one of the more incredible shots you'll see

Quote Originally Posted by King Pietersen View Post
    Good news for England. Steyn's failed a fitness test, and is out of the game.
    Steyn gets smashed around by England in ODI cricket so i doubt England were too worried either way.

International Regular King Pietersen's Avatar
    Steyn's improved recently against England in ODi's. In the 4 games he's played against us in the last 3 years, he's taken 6 wickets at 23.33 with an economy of 4.03. I'm sure they'll be happy that one of the best bowlers in the world is out.

England win toss and bowl. Hopefully it'll nip around, and Finn and Jimmy bowl well up top.

International Vice-Captain MW1304's Avatar
    Swann and Bres out. Tail looking poo. Please don't be tempted to play Woakes.

Quote Originally Posted by MW1304 View Post
    Swann and Bres out. Tail looking poo. Please don't be tempted to play Woakes.
    No, they've gone with Finn.

I'm OK with that, even if it does leave our last 4 realtively weak.

Of course, sod's law is that the day we don't have Bres & Swann at 8 & 9 is the day our top 3 all fail and we actually need some runs from the lower order.

International Vice-Captain MW1304's Avatar
    The bowling actually looks stronger now. We're relying on Morgan and Buttler actually doing something, though, although the tail can't do quite as badly as they did in the last match.

Quote Originally Posted by MW1304 View Post
    The bowling actually looks stronger now. We're relying on Morgan and Buttler actually doing something, though, although the tail can't do quite as badly as they did in the last match.
    Maybe. I'd take Swann ahead of Tredwell, even allowing for the latter's good performances lately. And Bres has put in some very good performances, albeit with some occasional dross. I still think Finn couild go either way, whatever the rankings might say. I think the impact on our batting > than any possible improvement in our bowling.

But you're dead right about the need for Morgan and Buttler to do something significant.

the tail shouldn't matter with the top 7 england have selected and it's not like broad and tredwell are completely useless.

Cricket Web Staff Member stumpski's Avatar
    South Africa's anthem is quite jolly isn't it! And Morgan was clearly thinking "she's not my queen."

Supposed to be hot later, but good bowling conditions for now.

You would have to be crazy if you think England would rather not have to face Steyn when the alternative is Rory Kleinveldt.

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information