Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Semi Final 1 - England v South Africa

In 50 over world cups alone:

Sri Lanka has won 6 knockout games out of 9
    SA has won 0 knock out games out of 5

T20 world cups have similar numbers, don't remember them though. That's the real story. I mean, come on!
    Last edited by ankitj; 20-06-2013 at 01:16 PM.

International Vice-Captain MW1304's Avatar
    And they've only gone on to win one final.

Anyway you should look at each game on its merits to determine if its a choke, that statistic means little.

To be fair, there has been question on Sri Lanka's mental toughness in finals. But as you say you have to look at each match on its merit. Sri Lanka was playing better or equally strong teams each time, didn't do anything comically inept, and did win one out of 3 finals with minimal fuss.
    Last edited by ankitj; 20-06-2013 at 01:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 8ankitj View Post
    In 50 over world cups alone:

Sri Lanka has won 6 knockout games out of 9
    SA has won 0 knock out games out of 5

T20 world cups have similar numbers, don't remember them though. That's the real story. I mean, come on!
    If it's world cups alone, you appear to have missed which forum you were posting in.

It's almost as though the "real story" seems to change depending on what appears to fit. Call me crazy...
    Every 5 years we have an election and have to decide who are the least obnoxious out of all the men. Then one gets in and they age really quickly. Which is always fun to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    If it's world cups alone, you appear to have missed which forum you were posting in.

It's almost as though the "real story" seems to change depending on what appears to fit. Call me crazy...
    Trust me not to have forgotten anything. And drop your aggressive posture please. I just didn't think necessary to add disclaimers about 98 champions trophy, mainly because I'm typing on a mobile and thought it will be understood that there is an exception, regardless of which general argument can be made . SA's mental problems truly started more from 99 world cup onward and since then they haven't won a knockout game.

Look, you can make justifiable arguments on why this game was not a choke. But you are not doing that, you are blaming it on people's bias if they think otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by MW1304 View Post
    And they've only gone on to win one final.

Anyway you should look at each game on its merits to determine if its a choke, that statistic means little.
    Yeah exactly. You can't say that just because the same country (and it's not even the same team - these teams barely little to no resemblance to each other besides the logo on their kit) have lost X knockout games then every time they lose one then it's a choke automatically.

I understand the argument being made that you can choke a tournament rather than a game by collapsing under the pressure of a knockout and putting in a mentally weak performance from start to finish in a semi-final. But that's not what happened here. This South African team isn't very good; they were lucky to qualify for the semi-final in the first place and they were completely outplayed by a better side. De Villers aside I think they actually showed mental strength throughout the tournament and the game itself; they just weren't technically up to what was put in front of them.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

International Vice-Captain centurymaker's Avatar
    yeah they haven't won a single knockout game in ANY global limited overs tournament since 99. It's ****ing crazy.
    Proud Supporter of All Blacks

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Yeah exactly. You can't say that just because the same country (and it's not even the same team - these teams barely little to no resemblance to each other besides the logo on their kit) have lost X knockout games then every time they lose one then it's a choke automatically.

I understand the argument being made that you can choke a tournament rather than a game by collapsing under the pressure of a knockout and putting in a mentally weak performance from start to finish in a semi-final. But that's not what happened here. This South African team isn't very good; they were lucky to qualify for the semi-final in the first place and they were completely outplayed by a better side. De Villers aside I think they actually showed mental strength throughout the tournament and the game itself; they just weren't technically up to what was put in front of them.
    The difference between the sides wasn't 80/8.

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Thread Information