Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it just me who'll miss the Champions Trophy when it's gone?

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar

Is it just me who'll miss the Champions Trophy when it's gone?

Clearly, back in the mid 00s before the advent of the World T20, having the Champions Trophy every 2 years was complete overkill.

However, it's a great wee tournament when it's held every 4 years. Doesn't drag on forever but you tend to get great contests and the format lends a bit of tension even for the first round of games. It's a far superior event to the overblown World Cup with its daft formats to squeeze in as many games as possible for TV.

The first few editions were the absolute pits in terms of format and quality, but yeah, the current version with just the 8 teams and lasting a fortnight or so is great. Really intense contests with almost every game being significant.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    The format of this tournament has worked quite well so far - every game has meaning, it isn't drawn out over six decades like the world cup and the cricket has been pretty decent.

While it arguably serves no real purpose, it's a nice fun tournament to have occasionally.

State Vice-Captain
    Yeah, I'll miss it. ODIs have their own cadence when teams manage to give a **** about them. Very different from Tests and certainly far superior to T20s.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    I wonder if it would have worked more if it stuck in the one location and time of year (eg england and now) for every tournament. probably wasn't feasible of course
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

A good range of matches so far too, a high scoring one, a couple of low scoring thrillers and then a more normal game, great cricket.
    There are two colours in my head

Sugarealm

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    If they had used this format of 8 teams and a few weeks in the previous competitions then I doubt it would be being got rid of. The fact they messed it up by having too many meaningless games meant it was just another poor competition. The current one is working well and very interesting. Shame it the last one.

Maybe the 20/20 could use the same format in future and be worth watching.

Format's exactly the same as the last one IIRC. Thought that was a half-decent tournament, though certainly less interesting as this one is much, much more open.

ODIs have their own cadence when teams manage to give a **** about them. Very different from Tests and certainly far superior to T20s.
    Yeah, definitely agree with this.

Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    This and the previous edition in 2009 have been and were really good. I'll definitely be sad when it finishes.

I also think these sort of tournaments are exactly what ODI cricket needs as well, as it adds importance to it. I mean, ODI cricket would just have been a back thought in a double Ashes year for a side like England if it wasn't there, but they've really been focusing on it a lot lately as a result and even series like the NZ one just passed have seemed really important. I don't like the fact that they're converting into a test championship as I don't think test cricket needs a multi team tournament. All tests are important, and I wouldn't really care about them more if they were in a whole test championship. ODI's are completely different though and there's more benefit to be had from these sorts of tournaments IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    If they had used this format of 8 teams and a few weeks in the previous competitions then I doubt it would be being got rid of. The fact they messed it up by having too many meaningless games meant it was just another poor competition. The current one is working well and very interesting. Shame it the last one.

Maybe the 20/20 could use the same format in future and be worth watching.
    It pretty much does after the initial group stages, they just include Bangladesh, Zimbabwe and a couple of associates. They're usually out of it in a couple of days and the super 8 groups and semi's work just like this tournament does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    This English top three are cornflakes. They're not the most exciting thing out but they're pretty effective. Then the middle order are the sugar. Would be too much on their own but added to the cornflakes they add some much needed interest

When KP returns he will be the banana..

The absolute scrimp 'n save international feed, maximising those margins by employing Simon Doull, mooching off the Sky UK graphics and just hazarding a guess at what it all signifies, even a one-wicket thriller last night felt about as abject and dreary as watching a Cricket Ireland Youtube broadcast. So no, I won't really miss it.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Feral Abacus View Post
    Another exaggerated personality stereotype conspiracy brought to you by Kippax.
    NZ RAIN RADAR . TAB CRICKET OPTIONS . KIPPAX CRICKET . DOOR TO THE VAULT

It's a nice tourney but for me it's suffered a bit this year by being an Ashes prelude. Throw in the Lions tour on top of that and it's just ended up a fair way down the list
    Every 5 years we have an election and have to decide who are the least obnoxious out of all the men. Then one gets in and they age really quickly. Which is always fun to watch.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    I hope it stays. The proposed Test Championship idea is beyond dire.

For me its 1 Tests, 2 T20, 3 one-dayers. Doesn't mean I enjoy this tournament a lot so far.

Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    I hope it stays. The proposed Test Championship idea is beyond dire.
    It still can't believe a Test Championship will ever happen. Indeed far far far beyond dire.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Yeah I don't begrudge the smaller sides getting a go in the WC but this a nice tasty alternative in its current guise.
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    Yeah I don't begrudge the smaller sides getting a go in the WC but this a nice tasty alternative in its current guise.
    For the associate members, T20 is far more interesting anyway.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information