Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is it just me who'll miss the Champions Trophy when it's gone?

better they keep this then try and do that half-baked test championship idea - 4 teams is just ridiculous.
    There are two colours in my head

What I don't understand is why are so many people calling this tournament an overwhelming success? IMO, the tournament has failed more than it has succeeded due to the weather and that's solely to do with the fact that there's no reserve days. I'm not sure how many games have been affected by rain, sure someone will know, but its been too many.

Also to me anyway, I think a lot of the matches have been decided solely on the basis of who wins the toss and that's poor with pitch conditions changing so much between innings 1 and 2. It can't be helped a great deal and the weather has played its part there, but again that comes back to how you derive whether the tournament is huge success or not for me.

What I'm hoping the ICC do going forward is learn their lessons here and all tournaments have reserve days in place.
    Last edited by James; 23-06-2013 at 04:28 AM.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    At the very less the knockout games should have reserve days

a bit of rain doesn't ruin a tournament for me, it's the fact that big crowds and TV audiences are watching the matches and the media actually cares about it that makes this CT a success

always like his stuff. top piece
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

Yeah its a brilliant article.

Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    Test Championship is a terrible idea IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    This English top three are cornflakes. They're not the most exciting thing out but they're pretty effective. Then the middle order are the sugar. Would be too much on their own but added to the cornflakes they add some much needed interest

When KP returns he will be the banana..

Quote Originally Posted by Cabinet96 View Post
    Test Championship is a terrible idea IMO.
    Have there been any details suggested of what the format for it might be?? It's an interesting idea but I'd imagine a logistical nightmare to put together.

I'll reserve judgement on it until I see what's actually planned.

I think it's supposed to be just the top four sides playing semifinals and a final. So just the three tests then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    If GI 'Best Poster On The Forum' Joe says it then it must be true.
    Athlai doesn't lie. And he doesn't do sarcasm either, so you know it's true!

Quote Originally Posted by G.I.Joe View Post
    I think it's supposed to be just the top four sides playing semifinals and a final. So just the three tests then.
    Well that's ****ed up for a start. The way the current rankings are there really isn't that much between the top 8 sides, we've just seen that with recent Eng/NZ series.

It wasn't that long ago Australia were ranked 5th and could be again (I think) if they lose heavily over the next 2 Ashes series. As much as I like to LOL at their current woes a test championship without them in it is not worth having.

I could be wrong here but when this "Test Championship" idea was first bandied around I thought it was supposed to be over a 4 year cycle, not a tournament as such. Fix up the Future Tours Program so it's more uniform and crown a test champion every 4 years based on points earned over the 4 year period?? Like an extended English Premier League.

I have no interest in this as a tournament unless all test nations are involved in it, which clearly would be impossible unless it was to run for a ridiculous amount of time. Why can't the administrators accept that Test cricket is a unique sport with it's duration and embrace that fact, it is not suited to a glitz and glamour World Cup style tournament. They have other formats they can do that with.
    Last edited by Adders; 29-06-2013 at 09:32 PM.

International 12th Man
    If a test championship even gets off the ground, i can't see it lasting past the first (or possibly the second if TV contracts demand it) event. Knockout cricket is not a good format for test cricket, England will have to be guaranteed a place (the first event is scheduled for June/July 2017 in England) to ensure commercial success and allow proper logistical planning. Otherwise you create the prospect of England having a 'competing' test series at the same time. And at the end of it i doubt anyone will see it as determining anything - 'conditions' create a far less level playing field than in ODIs and home advantage will be massive.

This'll get binned after the first competition.

It's a crap format, it won't get supported, hence why it's in England and it's too reliant on India being a top 4 side to sell to broadcasters.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    they've already scheduled the 2nd one, so that will probably be the last one
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information