Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is it just me who'll miss the Champions Trophy when it's gone?

For the World Cup it should be 4 groups of 4 followed by quarter finals. Super 8s, 6s or whatever are complete ****.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Stapel View Post
    For the associate members, T20 is far more interesting anyway.
    Nah I completely disagree.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    For the World Cup it should be 4 groups of 4 followed by quarter finals. Super 8s, 6s or whatever are complete ****.
    Agreed, adds a pointless week to the competition at least as well.

Clearly, back in the mid 00s before the advent of the World T20, having the Champions Trophy every 2 years was complete overkill.

However, it's a great wee tournament when it's held every 4 years. Doesn't drag on forever but you tend to get great contests and the format lends a bit of tension even for the first round of games. It's a far superior event to the overblown World Cup with its daft formats to squeeze in as many games as possible for TV.
    Yup, the CT has become way superior to the WC. I've never bought the argument that shedloads of mismatches in the WC is fine because there's normally one upset somewhere in the mix, but we've had this discussion before. A way of organising a tournament with 12 sides would probably be the best of both worlds, and it shoudn't be beyond the wit of the ICC to come up with it.

Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Agreed, adds a pointless week to the competition at least as well.
    Doesn't really add a pointless weak, at least for the teams anyway. The Super 8's can be tough to get out of and are competitive.

Realistically, the ICC aren't going to do the WC like Furball suggested, because they want as many matches and money they can get. So it's either super 8's, or massive groups where it's obvious which sides are going to go through, like group A in the last World Cup, and frankly I'd rather have the super 8's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    This English top three are cornflakes. They're not the most exciting thing out but they're pretty effective. Then the middle order are the sugar. Would be too much on their own but added to the cornflakes they add some much needed interest

When KP returns he will be the banana..

Quote Originally Posted by wpdavid View Post
    Yup, the CT has become way superior to the WC. I've never bought the argument that shedloads of mismatches in the WC is fine because there's normally one upset somewhere in the mix, but we've had this discussion before. A way of organising a tournament with 12 sides would probably be the best of both worlds, and it shoudn't be beyond the wit of the ICC to come up with it.
    IMO 12 teams isn't enough. If you want to encourage cricket in the associate nations then you need to put more of them in the World Cup.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabinet96 View Post
    Realistically, the ICC aren't going to do the WC like Furball suggested, because they want as many matches and money they can get. So it's either super 8's, or massive groups where it's obvious which sides are going to go through, like group A in the last World Cup, and frankly I'd rather have the super 8's.
    The other alternative is to do the Super 8s as 2 groups of 4 as they do in the World T20.

International Debutant Dissector's Avatar
    Glad to see I am not the only one who likes the Champions Trophy. Short ,sweet , and competitive unlike the bloated mess that is the World Cup.

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    There's a certain attraction (perhaps even novelty) to watching mismatches involving minnows in the World Cup. I personally loved coming home everyday, tuning in and watching a whole bunch of new faces and trying to guage whether or not they were actually decent cricketers in international terms. The upsets are just a bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    There's a certain attraction (perhaps even novelty) to watching mismatches involving minnows in the World Cup. I personally loved coming home everyday, tuning in and watching a whole bunch of new faces and trying to guage whether or not they were actually decent cricketers in international terms. The upsets are just a bonus.
    The World Cup is about more than just the same old 10 teams you watch all year round.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Dave Warner is going to miss it, and it's not even over yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    The World Cup is about more than just the same old 10 teams you watch all year round.
    Both very true, and then there's the fact that at the last World Cup teams like Bangladesh and Ireland had some great matches while half the matches between the top sides were uninteresting beatings.

The advantage the CT has over the WC right now is that every match means something - the huge groups at the World Cup wreck that.
    Every 5 years we have an election and have to decide who are the least obnoxious out of all the men. Then one gets in and they age really quickly. Which is always fun to watch.

i'm going to miss the controversies surrounding it

very questionable
    Quote Originally Posted by uvelocity View Post
    s
    ^real tearjerker from this cock

Definitely more likely to repeat than the swordfish I just ate at circular quay
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

Quote Originally Posted by uvelocity View Post
    swordfish
    I remember that movie

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information