Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: South Africa Squad Discussion

Tournaments Won: 1

South Africa Squad Discussion

AB de Villiers (capt), Hashim Amla, Farhaan Behardien, JP Duminy, Faf du Plessis, Colin Ingram, Rory Kleinveldt, Ryan McLaren, David Miller, Morne Morkel, Robin Peterson, Aaron Phangiso, Graeme Smith, Dale Steyn, Lonwabo Tsotsobe

de Kock and Kallis the notable omissions. Kallis made himself unavailable for selection, but de Kock was just dropped.

I'd have de Kock in for Phangiso, but other than that it's a good squad imo.
    @CowsCorner - 202 followers and counting!

Disclaimer: I am a biased South African. Anything I say is likely to have something in it that ultimately favours the Proteas.

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Solid, just don't like Behardien.

Is Duminy going to get any serious match practice at all before this?

Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    Missing Kallis is a massive blow for South Africa. I know it sounds obvious, but with him and Duminey in the side they could have had really good batting depth and bated down to 7. Now they'll probably have to play someone like McLaren at 7.

1. Smith
    2. Amla
    3. Ingram
    4. de Villiers
    5. du Plessis
    6. Duminey
    7. McLaren
    8. Peterson
    9. Steyn
    10. Morkel
    11. Tsotsobe

Is what I'd go with, and I think they'll go the same way. If Kallis was around then they could have Duminey at 7 which is insane batting depth. As it is their side is reasonably strong. A good attack which compensates for Steyn not being as good in ODI's by having Morkel and Tsotsobe who are absolute guns in ODI's.

Reckon they'll go through their group but won't go any further though. And not because they'll choke, it'll be because they meet someone who's better than them in the semi's.

Could play Behardien tbh

International Captain LongHopCassidy's Avatar
    Glad Duminy's back. Total gun.

Disgraceful that they overlooked Philander in English conditions. What's their rationale?
    "The Australian cricket captain is the Prime Minister Australia wishes it had. Steve Waugh is that man, Michael Clarke is not." - Jarrod Kimber

RIP Fardin Qayyumi and Craig Walsh - true icons of CricketWeb.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcuss View Post
    Could play Behardien tbh
    I think he meant it more in a "Duminy can't be expected to bowl ten overs himself every game" way than a "they don't have enough batsmen in the squad" way.
    ~ Cribbage

Quote Originally Posted by Riggins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by simonlee48 View Post
    Sanga has done well but Murali has done better. In my opinion, Murali is simply the best off spinner in history of cricket and I can't make that kind of statement for Sanga.
    Sanga isn't the best off spinner in the history of cricket? News to me.

Yeah, I don't think getting 10 overs out of JP and Faf is a good idea. Especially in England, with two new balls and only 4 men aloud outside the ring. If Kallis were there it would be different.

No Smith and Kallis - they'll probably go and win it.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    I think he meant it more in a "Duminy can't be expected to bowl ten overs himself every game" way than a "they don't have enough batsmen in the squad" way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabinet96 View Post
    Yeah, I don't think getting 10 overs out of JP and Faf is a good idea. Especially in England, with two new balls and only 4 men aloud outside the ring. If Kallis were there it would be different.
    Behardien bowls too....

Cricket Spectator
    I'm very happy that they went with the experience of Alviro over the new "it-boy" de Kock. I do believe Quintin will be a permanent fixture in our team soon enough, but he still has a lot of room for development.

Do you think A. Peterson will be placed in the starting 11 in place of Smith, or will one of the lower order guys be promoted to opener?

Quote Originally Posted by Snippie27 View Post
    I'm very happy that they went with the experience of Alviro over the new "it-boy" de Kock. I do believe Quintin will be a permanent fixture in our team soon enough, but he still has a lot of room for development.

Do you think A. Peterson will be placed in the starting 11 in place of Smith, or will one of the lower order guys be promoted to opener?
    Virus should come straight in IMO. I've never been a big fan of him in general but I think he's one of the best six or seven OD bats South Africa have regardless of who's fit; the only reason he hasn't really been a fixture is the fact that in Amla, Smith and Kallis, SA have enough "bat through the innings" type top order batsmen in the isde. With Kallis and Smith out and that balance factor no longer an issue I think he's a must.

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Duminy WAG. 150* in his comeback. Granted it's against Netherlands but still.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    My team for the first match would be:

Amla
    A. Peterson
    Ingrim
    AB
    Faf
    Duminy
    Ryan Mclaren
    Robbie P
    Steyn
    Morkel
    Tsotsobe

The Alternative is to drop Ingrim for Behardien or Miller but I don't think AB, Faf, or JP can bat at 3. I think they are important cogs in our middle order and I don't want them being pushed up...

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information