• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa Squad Discussion

MrPrez

International Debutant
AB de Villiers (capt), Hashim Amla, Farhaan Behardien, JP Duminy, Faf du Plessis, Colin Ingram, Rory Kleinveldt, Ryan McLaren, David Miller, Morne Morkel, Robin Peterson, Aaron Phangiso, Graeme Smith, Dale Steyn, Lonwabo Tsotsobe

de Kock and Kallis the notable omissions. Kallis made himself unavailable for selection, but de Kock was just dropped.

I'd have de Kock in for Phangiso, but other than that it's a good squad imo.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Solid, just don't like Behardien.

Is Duminy going to get any serious match practice at all before this?

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Missing Kallis is a massive blow for South Africa. I know it sounds obvious, but with him and Duminey in the side they could have had really good batting depth and bated down to 7. Now they'll probably have to play someone like McLaren at 7.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
1. Smith
2. Amla
3. Ingram
4. de Villiers
5. du Plessis
6. Duminey
7. McLaren
8. Peterson
9. Steyn
10. Morkel
11. Tsotsobe

Is what I'd go with, and I think they'll go the same way. If Kallis was around then they could have Duminey at 7 which is insane batting depth. As it is their side is reasonably strong. A good attack which compensates for Steyn not being as good in ODI's by having Morkel and Tsotsobe who are absolute guns in ODI's.

Reckon they'll go through their group but won't go any further though. And not because they'll choke, it'll be because they meet someone who's better than them in the semi's.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Glad Duminy's back. Total gun.

Disgraceful that they overlooked Philander in English conditions. What's their rationale?

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Yeah, I don't think getting 10 overs out of JP and Faf is a good idea. Especially in England, with two new balls and only 4 men aloud outside the ring. If Kallis were there it would be different.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think he meant it more in a "Duminy can't be expected to bowl ten overs himself every game" way than a "they don't have enough batsmen in the squad" way.
Yeah, I don't think getting 10 overs out of JP and Faf is a good idea. Especially in England, with two new balls and only 4 men aloud outside the ring. If Kallis were there it would be different.
Behardien bowls too....

Snippie27

Cricket Spectator
I'm very happy that they went with the experience of Alviro over the new "it-boy" de Kock. I do believe Quintin will be a permanent fixture in our team soon enough, but he still has a lot of room for development.

Do you think A. Peterson will be placed in the starting 11 in place of Smith, or will one of the lower order guys be promoted to opener?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'm very happy that they went with the experience of Alviro over the new "it-boy" de Kock. I do believe Quintin will be a permanent fixture in our team soon enough, but he still has a lot of room for development.

Do you think A. Peterson will be placed in the starting 11 in place of Smith, or will one of the lower order guys be promoted to opener?
Virus should come straight in IMO. I've never been a big fan of him in general but I think he's one of the best six or seven OD bats South Africa have regardless of who's fit; the only reason he hasn't really been a fixture is the fact that in Amla, Smith and Kallis, SA have enough "bat through the innings" type top order batsmen in the isde. With Kallis and Smith out and that balance factor no longer an issue I think he's a must.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Duminy WAG. 150* in his comeback. Granted it's against Netherlands but still.

ProteasFan

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
My team for the first match would be:

Amla
A. Peterson
Ingrim
AB
Faf
Duminy
Ryan Mclaren
Robbie P
Steyn
Morkel
Tsotsobe

The Alternative is to drop Ingrim for Behardien or Miller but I don't think AB, Faf, or JP can bat at 3. I think they are important cogs in our middle order and I don't want them being pushed up...

stumpski

International Captain
Dunno if he's been featured in the 'namesakes' thread yet, but Chris Morris is being flown out to bolster the South African squad.