• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Squad Discussion

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Haven't seen much of Mitch Marsh. While I don't think much (read- anything) of Maxwell as a test player, there's something I like about him in the ODI set up. Bit of Andy Symonds x-factor that we've missed the last few years.
I'd argue that if Maxwell has the x-factor, Marsh has it in greater quantities.

Absolutely gun prospect, if he can get some FC consistency with the bat.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I think the one thing that might work in Maxwell's favour is the impotency of Doherty on the last trip, and they will be tempted to play him at 7 with four quicks.

Not what I'd do, but I think they'll definitely see it as an option.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Unless things have changed a lot, I reckon that England is the easiest place to play bowlers of Doherty's type as there isn't a great deal of pace, irregular bounce or spin in the pitches so he effectively becomes a slow-medium left-armer bowling on a belter

Furthermore, an X1 such as below has very good batsmen down to 10 (assuming McKay is 11) and numerous bowling options including a spinner

Warner
Watson (b)
Hughes
Clarke
Bailey/Voges (b)
Wade +
Marsh (b)
Maxwell (b)
3 of Johnson/Starc/Faulkner/McKay/NCN (3B)

Maybe I am still hungover from the thrashing in India but I really don't want to see Doherty on the field again for Australia anytime soon

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Yeah, reckon he's just not suited to those sort of pitches at all. Skiddier things in Australia, where can be difficult to get under, see him go OK, but that little bit less pace in the pitches derives him of his main danger - skidding the ball into the pads for LBW.

South

Cricket Spectator
If Watson's bowling I don't really see the necessity of playing Faulkner as an allrounder, weakens the batting. To everyone saying Maxwell should take the spin duties from Doherty is ridiculous, did you see him bowl in the Oz summer? Shocker. It's a tight competition and we need to play our best team if you want to advance, by best I mean our most experienced, at least in terms of bowlers.

Warner
Watson
Hughes
Clarke
Bailey
Voges/Maxwell
Wade
Starc
Johnson
McKay
Doherty

Probably best to go Maxwell over Voges only because Watto can't bowl 10 and will need someone to split it with (as we don't want to risk anything with Clarke).

To all the Doherty haters he is on the verge of a take over from Agar so this might be his swansong.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Nah, they're suggesting dropping Xavier because:
  1. He'd be trash on English pitches because they don't skid like Aussie ones
  2. They reckon playing 4 quality seamers > 3 seamers and a paceman
  3. Maxwell can bowl a few overs of gash offies, be equally ineffective with the ball and let the pacemen do the bulk of the work, plus bats & fields better than X.

Anywhere but England, Doherty is far and away our best ODI spinner. Tests are a completely different prospect.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
As much as I like Maxwell, I really don't think asking him to bowl ten overs is a good idea, especially if he's only batting 8 anyway. Johnson, Starc and McKay can all bat so I don't think the tail really needs strengthening at the expense of the bowling. I wouldn't be opposed to Faulkner or Coulter-Nile coming for Doherty but it needs to be a proper bowler, especially since Watson has only just started bowling again.

If Watson is bowling well early in the tournament and Maxwell/Marsh are doing well in their sixth bowler role then it's definitely something that can be looked into towards the back end of it, but I'd definitely be starting with four proper bowlers.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Warner
Watson
Hughes
Clarke
Bailey
Maxwell/Marsh/Voges
Wade
Starc
Johnson
McKay
Doherty

So that's my side to start. I really don't like the bowling attack at all; Johnson has serious demons in England, McKay is a burst bubble waiting to happen and Doherty's issues have been well documented in this thread already. I don't have any more faith in Faulkner or NCN at this stage either though so it is what it is.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
If Watson's bowling I don't really see the necessity of playing Faulkner as an allrounder, weakens the batting. To everyone saying Maxwell should take the spin duties from Doherty is ridiculous, did you see him bowl in the Oz summer? Shocker. It's a tight competition and we need to play our best team if you want to advance, by best I mean our most experienced, at least in terms of bowlers.

Warner
Watson
Hughes
Clarke
Bailey
Voges/Maxwell
Wade
Starc
Johnson
McKay
Doherty

Probably best to go Maxwell over Voges only because Watto can't bowl 10 and will need someone to split it with (as we don't want to risk anything with Clarke).

To all the Doherty haters he is on the verge of a take over from Agar so this might be his swansong.
I hope they keep Agar away from ODIs as long as possible, don't give him an incentive to turn into a Doherty.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
surely being skilled as reason enough for him to not turn into a doherty

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Would've picked Lyon honestly.
This

Thinking seems to be that one-dayers might have an adverse effect on his longer-format bowling

IMO, one of Lyon's major problems is a lack of experience and you cant get that if you aren't bowling

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
This

Thinking seems to be that one-dayers might have an adverse effect on his longer-format bowling

IMO, one of Lyon's major problems is a lack of experience and you cant get that if you aren't bowling
Lyon was selected in the A Tour though so I don't have a problem with it at all especially considering its more debatable that he's the best option in ODIs compared to Tests.