Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: England's best chance?

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar

England's best chance?

Although it's a trophy that people care less and less about (and this is the last one, right?) surely this tournament represents England's best ever chance of 50 over glory? Our recent home record in ODIs is pretty bloody good so despite the fact that we are quite unsettled in terms of knowing our best team, I'm actually quite confident that we can do very well in this. And I don't feel like it's my usual brand of blind optimism either.

Thoughts?
    Phillip Hughes 1988-2014

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

If it was a comp that consisted of a series 3 or 5 match rubbers then I'd say we were worthy favs, however we remain all too beatable in one-off matches.

If the Saffers can overcome their traditional breathing difficulties I'd say they were the team to beat, but the Windies and Pakistan are darkhorses too.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    I'm not sure why but whenever I think of England in ODIs, Dernbach instantly pops into my mind.

If he plays and England manage to win, it'll be the greatest ODI X of all time.

Yeah, why not. It's not a very good chance, but that's mainly because there are loads of teams with a decent shout.
    "Your averages, captain, coaches and players can probably survive incompetence over a relatively short series, so if youíre going to be rubbish, make sure itís against Pakistan, Sri Lanka, New Zealand or someone."

I wouldn't be surprised if any of the 8 sides won it tbh. But I'd have us as one of the favourites.

Will our 260-280 totals be enough to beat teams with a batting line up, one wonders?

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Will our 260-280 totals be enough to beat teams with a batting line up, one wonders?
    Well we are backing 260-280 and to win it with our strong bowling attack. Might work but I think we'll come a cropper at some stage.

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    I'd back us to get more against the sides with stronger batting line ups. At least on a pitch like todays.

International Regular NasserFan207's Avatar
    England have a chance, but for mine India are favourites, with Windies behind them, mostly because their players have played a ton of short form cricket recently and are probably all in form.
    Batsman I tolerate: V. Richards, S. Tendulkar, E. Morgan, N. Hussain. KEVIN O F******* BRIEN

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Being at home helps a lot. There won't be too many of the 300+ pitches that won't suit them. If any of their front-line bowlers breaks down they're in trouble but with all of them fit they're probably favourites against anyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Your best chance was in 2004 when in the final you needed 2 wickets and a bucket load of runs in hand against WI.

Couldn't get it done.

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Being at home helps a lot. There won't be too many of the 300+ pitches that won't suit them. If any of their front-line bowlers breaks down they're in trouble but with all of them fit they're probably favourites against anyone.
    Well Swann has already broken down and they have a top-10 ranked pace bowler carrying drinks right now, so that seems a bit off

Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    Well Swann has already broken down and they have a top-10 ranked pace bowler carrying drinks right now, so that seems a bit off
    If we'd have been playing a cricket team yesterday we might well have been in trouble.
    Nigel Clough's Black and White Army, beating Forest away with 10 men

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    It's hilarious that England's methods are being criticised when they've just lost their first home series in 4 years.

There's no chance that India 'no wins last time they toured England' are favourites.
    ​63*

England are also the only side that's ever looked like getting 250 since Thursday, and they could have got more if more of the lower order fired. We've seen a few of the so called 'big hitting sides' today and on Friday, and frankly, they don't look that threatening.
    RIP Philip Hughes - 1988-2014

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information