• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England's best chance?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Although it's a trophy that people care less and less about (and this is the last one, right?) surely this tournament represents England's best ever chance of 50 over glory? Our recent home record in ODIs is pretty bloody good so despite the fact that we are quite unsettled in terms of knowing our best team, I'm actually quite confident that we can do very well in this. And I don't feel like it's my usual brand of blind optimism either.

Thoughts?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
If it was a comp that consisted of a series 3 or 5 match rubbers then I'd say we were worthy favs, however we remain all too beatable in one-off matches.

If the Saffers can overcome their traditional breathing difficulties I'd say they were the team to beat, but the Windies and Pakistan are darkhorses too.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm not sure why but whenever I think of England in ODIs, Dernbach instantly pops into my mind.

If he plays and England manage to win, it'll be the greatest ODI X of all time.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Yeah, why not. It's not a very good chance, but that's mainly because there are loads of teams with a decent shout.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I wouldn't be surprised if any of the 8 sides won it tbh. But I'd have us as one of the favourites.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
England have a chance, but for mine India are favourites, with Windies behind them, mostly because their players have played a ton of short form cricket recently and are probably all in form.

Uppercut

Being at home helps a lot. There won't be too many of the 300+ pitches that won't suit them. If any of their front-line bowlers breaks down they're in trouble but with all of them fit they're probably favourites against anyone.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Your best chance was in 2004 when in the final you needed 2 wickets and a bucket load of runs in hand against WI.

Couldn't get it done.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Being at home helps a lot. There won't be too many of the 300+ pitches that won't suit them. If any of their front-line bowlers breaks down they're in trouble but with all of them fit they're probably favourites against anyone.
Well Swann has already broken down and they have a top-10 ranked pace bowler carrying drinks right now, so that seems a bit off

Furball

Evil Scotsman
It's hilarious that England's methods are being criticised when they've just lost their first home series in 4 years.

There's no chance that India 'no wins last time they toured England' are favourites.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
England are also the only side that's ever looked like getting 250 since Thursday, and they could have got more if more of the lower order fired. We've seen a few of the so called 'big hitting sides' today and on Friday, and frankly, they don't look that threatening.

Woodster

International Captain
Yes my concern is if playing a strong batting side on a good, flat deck where we may not be able to set a big enough total or chase down a 300+ score. Of course we do have a strong bowling attack and that may mean we don't concede 300 runs too often in the competition, but should we find ourselves in that position I hope the batting order becomes a little more flexible. If we do need a big total than perhaps promote Eoin Morgan in order to give him the time to build a big one. Generally we are very reliant on KP in such circumstances to score quickly and make a substantial contribution if we're to win those games, time for another man to step up.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
KP has had two good innings in the last four years, and he quit the format as soon as those happened! England's best one day cricket since the last World Cup has generally not featured KP (the UAE series apart). Beat India, Australia, West Indies and drew with South Africa at home, and won in New Zealand to boot, all without him. We're about as reliant on him in one day cricket as Australia are on Ryan Harris.

Daemon

It's hilarious that England's methods are being criticised when they've just lost their first home series in 4 years.

There's no chance that India 'no wins last time they toured England' are favourites.
Already won two warm ups and the first game. Beating you lot will be a piece of cake, assuming you make it out of your group.

Woodster

International Captain
KP has had two good innings in the last four years, and he quit the format as soon as those happened! England's best one day cricket since the last World Cup has generally not featured KP (the UAE series apart). Beat India, Australia, West Indies and drew with South Africa at home, and won in New Zealand to boot, all without him. We're about as reliant on him in one day cricket as Australia are on Ryan Harris.
Not sure I agree that he has had just two good innings, he's batted well and not gone on to get the three-figured scores he (and we) would have liked but he has still played some decent innings. All I was saying was that if we ever looked like chasing down a big total, then he would have to be pivotal. I'm not saying he always succeeds but that has probably been due to him being the sole batsman capable at scoring at the rate necessary to chase the totals down, thus he has to take more risks than what is advisable.

greg

International Debutant
IMO there may be some limited merit in the belief that England will struggle to post enough runs on really flat decks, and running into a flat deck against the wrong team at a crucial time could hamper their chances of winning the tournament. However I struggle to take some of the critics seriously, when they simultaneously nominate as "teams that could go all the way" certain teams who on occasion struggle to post 200 on non-minefields. Because let's face it, having your batting prone to collapsing like a pack of cards doesn't exactly generate much confidence in a knockout format either!