Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: England's best chance?

Cricket Web Staff Member Woodster's Avatar
    Yes my concern is if playing a strong batting side on a good, flat deck where we may not be able to set a big enough total or chase down a 300+ score. Of course we do have a strong bowling attack and that may mean we don't concede 300 runs too often in the competition, but should we find ourselves in that position I hope the batting order becomes a little more flexible. If we do need a big total than perhaps promote Eoin Morgan in order to give him the time to build a big one. Generally we are very reliant on KP in such circumstances to score quickly and make a substantial contribution if we're to win those games, time for another man to step up.
    http://batallday.blogspot.com/ - Cricket blog dedicated to domestic cricket.

Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    KP has had two good innings in the last four years, and he quit the format as soon as those happened! England's best one day cricket since the last World Cup has generally not featured KP (the UAE series apart). Beat India, Australia, West Indies and drew with South Africa at home, and won in New Zealand to boot, all without him. We're about as reliant on him in one day cricket as Australia are on Ryan Harris.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    This English top three are cornflakes. They're not the most exciting thing out but they're pretty effective. Then the middle order are the sugar. Would be too much on their own but added to the cornflakes they add some much needed interest

When KP returns he will be the banana..

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    It's hilarious that England's methods are being criticised when they've just lost their first home series in 4 years.

There's no chance that India 'no wins last time they toured England' are favourites.
    Already won two warm ups and the first game. Beating you lot will be a piece of cake, assuming you make it out of your group.

Cricket Web Staff Member Woodster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabinet96 View Post
    KP has had two good innings in the last four years, and he quit the format as soon as those happened! England's best one day cricket since the last World Cup has generally not featured KP (the UAE series apart). Beat India, Australia, West Indies and drew with South Africa at home, and won in New Zealand to boot, all without him. We're about as reliant on him in one day cricket as Australia are on Ryan Harris.
    Not sure I agree that he has had just two good innings, he's batted well and not gone on to get the three-figured scores he (and we) would have liked but he has still played some decent innings. All I was saying was that if we ever looked like chasing down a big total, then he would have to be pivotal. I'm not saying he always succeeds but that has probably been due to him being the sole batsman capable at scoring at the rate necessary to chase the totals down, thus he has to take more risks than what is advisable.

International 12th Man
    IMO there may be some limited merit in the belief that England will struggle to post enough runs on really flat decks, and running into a flat deck against the wrong team at a crucial time could hamper their chances of winning the tournament. However I struggle to take some of the critics seriously, when they simultaneously nominate as "teams that could go all the way" certain teams who on occasion struggle to post 200 on non-minefields. Because let's face it, having your batting prone to collapsing like a pack of cards doesn't exactly generate much confidence in a knockout format either!

Quote Originally Posted by greg View Post
    IMO there may be some limited merit in the belief that England will struggle to post enough runs on really flat decks, and running into a flat deck against the wrong team at a crucial time could hamper their chances of winning the tournament. However I struggle to take some of the critics seriously, when they simultaneously nominate as "teams that could go all the way" certain teams who on occasion struggle to post 200 on non-minefields. Because let's face it, having your batting prone to collapsing like a pack of cards doesn't exactly generate much confidence in a knockout format either!
    Spot on greg. It is blatantly clear that our batting lineup doesn't posses the fire power to set or chase 300+ totals very often and it is definitely a limitation. But it is a preferable limitation to lineups that are prone to implosions.

We are consistent and will win far more games than we'll lose posting consistent 250 - 280 ish scores, sure we can get get beaten at any stage by any team in this comp......but we are just as likely to go all the way and win it as well. There are no stand out teams for mine here and right now I'll settle for our consistency over the brilliant one minute ****ehouse the next sides.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information