• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW Battrick Cup (season 13)

trevor_vayro

U19 Vice-Captain
Well Done Coco, great performance to get so close to such a mamouth total, you deserve to go through.

PFL has made a bit of a mockery of the CW Cup for me, and pretty much of the whole of my season. some of the bowlers never seem to be above Fresh, despite never playing FC. Already relegated in FC and BT20, and staring down the barrel in OD.

Don't have the cash to improve, or more importantly, expand the squad, and the more I lose the lower my crowds, and the less likely it is that I'll ever have the money to be competitive again. Obviously most of this is down to me not being a very good manager, as other people are coping okay with it, but can't help feeling shafted by the changes all the same. The game is supposed to be tough, but not impossible!

My main beef with PFL is that my batsmen can get huge hundreds, and quite often two or three a week of them, but hardly ever seem to drop below Invigorated . On the other hand the bowlers are never fit, no matter how much I rotate them or trim their nets back. And nearly all my squad has Strong or Sup Stam too!

Hard to see past Nibbs for the title now, though the winner of the Jaffna/Withington clash could still have a big say. Personally disappointing, but great to see some new teams in the latter stages of the Cup, seems like ages since there was a new semi-finalist - Though that's probably got more to do with my beer-addled memory than any statistical reality!

Later, Scaly...I mean Trev

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well Done Coco, great performance to get so close to such a mamouth total, you deserve to go through.

PFL has made a bit of a mockery of the CW Cup for me, and pretty much of the whole of my season. some of the bowlers never seem to be above Fresh, despite never playing FC. Already relegated in FC and BT20, and staring down the barrel in OD.

Don't have the cash to improve, or more importantly, expand the squad, and the more I lose the lower my crowds, and the less likely it is that I'll ever have the money to be competitive again. Obviously most of this is down to me not being a very good manager, as other people are coping okay with it, but can't help feeling shafted by the changes all the same. The game is supposed to be tough, but not impossible!

My main beef with PFL is that my batsmen can get huge hundreds, and quite often two or three a week of them, but hardly ever seem to drop below Invigorated . On the other hand the bowlers are never fit, no matter how much I rotate them or trim their nets back. And nearly all my squad has Strong or Sup Stam too!

Hard to see past Nibbs for the title now, though the winner of the Jaffna/Withington clash could still have a big say. Personally disappointing, but great to see some new teams in the latter stages of the Cup, seems like ages since there was a new semi-finalist - Though that's probably got more to do with my beer-addled memory than any statistical reality!

Later, Scaly...I mean Trev
Thanks mate, thanks very much for the game too it was great to play against some very good teams in the Cup.

Personally I'm glad of the timing of this CW cup as it's given me a chance to get more than 20 against you guys with the PFL's having such an effect haha I'm not sure how I'll handle it when I have to deal with it myself. 4 bots in my OD league this season has meant not a lot of management is required on my part. Hopefully that'll change next season as it's a bit boring. Don't have the depth to deal with it week-to-week though.

That and I'm pretty sure a 20ao isn't far away in this comp...

Mahindinho

State Vice-Captain
Thanks mate, thanks very much for the game too it was great to play against some very good teams in the Cup.

Personally I'm glad of the timing of this CW cup as it's given me a chance to get more than 20 against you guys with the PFL's having such an effect haha I'm not sure how I'll handle it when I have to deal with it myself. 4 bots in my OD league this season has meant not a lot of management is required on my part. Hopefully that'll change next season as it's a bit boring. Don't have the depth to deal with it week-to-week though.

That and I'm pretty sure a 20ao isn't far away in this comp...
It's been a decent cup so far, thanks mainly to the battles in your group!

Nicely done Coco Man -- if you get through to the semi's, are you going to go Coco Loco?!

Nicely done Trev, too -- always gracious in defeat :clapping:

PFLs are shagging me too -- and that's having spent most of the season with seven bowlers on rotation. Still, a bit of wheeling and dealing now sees me with four players over 100k BTR, which is 3 more than last season! Unfortunately, 3 of them are all-rounders, but they give me the space for an extra bowler and batsmen...once I can train them up.

Mahindinho

State Vice-Captain
Sorry I've not been writing (too m)any updates -- tough deadline at work has meant very little slack time. Good to see all four matches arranged and ready to go. Remember that the winner of match 1 will play the winner of match 2 in one SF, and match 3 vs match 4 in t'other, with lower ranked teams getting home advantage.

Should hopefully be a cracker between my lot and Jaffna. Unfortunately, I won't be watching as I'm on a 100km charity bike ride -- having never gone more than 16miles at once before, I'm going to be walking like John Wayne for a few days!

alternative

Cricket Web Content Updater
In a comfortable position at this stage.

End of Over 44: 233-2, runrate=5.30
Batty 10-0-57-0
Vincent* 13 (12 balls)
Coe 125 (135 balls)
Last Wicket: Handbury b. Acton 78 (FOW: 190/2)

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Was beaten easily by Andy's team today, which I was expecting. Was happy to get around the 170 mark though and take a couple of wickets in the chase. Thanks for the game mate and all the best for the SF.

It's been a pleasure taking part in this and being able to post some decent scores against very good teams (thanks to the PFL's taking effect) made it all the more enjoyable from a manager of a lowly team's perspective. Easily the highlight of my season.

Look forward to keeping an eye on the rest of the games and seeing who wins.

nibbs

International Captain
As I feared, Central Districts are well and truly on top at the moment. I need a miracle to get out of this one. Newby's 120 saved me from complete humilation, but it looks like I will be bowing out here. The current Whenuapai side doesn't have any game breakers that can make the difference at those crucial points in the game. I'm paying for this in today's match.

End of Over 27: 125-2, runrate=4.63, reqrunrate=3.61 (207-10)
Scholes 7-0-27-0
Daly* 44 (75 balls)
Keane 56 (73 balls)
Last Wicket: Campbell lbw b. Bowler 0 (FOW: 33/2)

edit - Daly looks like he has done his dash, and should get out soon, and this will bring in Shaka. If I can get him 4 down, with enough runs to work with, we're a chance. But this bowling lineup, despite featuring a 15/14, 15/11, 13/18, 13/14, and 13/13, is all too often unable to make much progress when it comes to bowling sides out. In fact in one game earlier in the season, my batsmen had amassed about 275, and we'd reduced the opposition to 112/7 and still manage to lose.

Last edited:

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Wow I'm actually doing alright, pretty shocked. Should be a close finish, hopefully Daly gets out soon and Shaka can smack a quick 30 or 40 to put the game away.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Ugh the poor stamina on most of my batsmen could prove very costly here, these guys have both hit the wall.

In the process of getting them all to superb but it's a slow process on a single net when they're all at resp. Paying for poor training structure in my early days I guess, before PFL really mattered.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
37.5 W Bowler to Daly
And that's out! Shorter ball, cut in the air and straight to Sutton at point!

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS ****ing finally. Shaka the lone hope now, if he doesn't make runs at a good clip it's game over.

nibbs

International Captain
Keane goes. Probably too little. Too late.

Oh ffs. De Beer turning back the clock here...

Last edited:

nibbs

International Captain
187/6 but Herd and Maccammon refuse to laydown.

194/6 only 14 needed. still 5 overs to bowl.

Anyones game.

edit; 200/6. i'm stuffed. well done, man.

Last edited:

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Wow, can't believe that Shaka and Keane went almost straight after I left and the old boys + young gun Mccammon got me up. Great game nibbs, still can't believe I won but I'll take it gleefully.

Mahindinho

State Vice-Captain
Magical Ponies vs Coco's Nuts
The Ponies brought Coco's Nuts' superb run in this season's competition to an end, with a fairly crushing victory.
Nuts did well to last all 50 overs after falling to 62/6, but Hutchinson, supported by Faulconbridge, took them to a more respectable 179/9.
In reply, Ponies cruised to 181 in just 38.5 overs, for the loss of two wickets.
Ponies win by 8 wickets.

Jaffna Jets vs Withington Wonderers
Jaffna played a weak lineup against a strong but slightly knackered Withington side. Needless to say, it was a one-sided fixture, with the visiting team bowling Jaffna out for 60 and then knocking off the required runs without any fuss.
Withington win by 10 wickets.

ASC Whenuapai vs Central Districts
Central Districts came into this clash hoping to get an upset and, on a batting pitch, bowled Whenuapai out for a below-par 207, Lambert taking all three top order wickets en-route to 4/37 from 8.1 overs.
Could they follow up with a strong batting performance? Yes. Yes they could, Keane and Daly adding 120 steady runs for the third wicket and setting up the win. After a few nervous wickets, McCammon and Herd took them home to a famous victory, knocking out the favourites.
Central Districts win by 4 wickets.

Alternative XI vs Connells Estates CC
The last QF was on rankings the closest, but a close match wasn't to be. Led by a fantastic unbeaten 152 from Coe, Alternative posted 286/2, which was too much for Connells once McIntosh and Shafilshuna had taken out their top order. They limped to 100, and out of the competition.
Alternative XI win by 186 runs.

Last edited:

Mahindinho

State Vice-Captain
Semi-finals:

Magical Ponies vs Withington Wonderers
Three previous matches between two closely-matched teams, with Ponies having won two of them. Hopefully I'll be able to even that up!

Alternative XI vs Central Districts
The lowest-ranked team left in the competition take on the conquerors of the highest. Who will win?

"Draw" was determined by the QF draw, while the lower-ranked teams get home advantage. Challenge away!

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Should me and Tozz really be playing each other twice in the Cup? (unless in the final, of course). Seems like a stupid way to do things in a friendly cup.

Last edited: