• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW Battrick Cup, season nine

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Congrats to Adam, and thanks to Hak for running it all. Definitely one of the better cups (Y).

trevor_vayro

U19 Vice-Captain
Ditto congratulations and thanks to Adam and Mork respectively. Here's to another great competition next time around.

This season seemed to be the year of the under-dog, a sign that the CW field is closing up, and the establishment (Adam aside!) is undergoing an evolution, if not a revolution? I'd argue not. Whilst, as Dwyer's final appearance demonstrates, the bar is rising for the likes of Scaly, Nibbs and Mahindinho, I still think the balance of power lies with those who have been playing longer with sustained success.

Next season is going to be fascinating. I'd tip Smith and Pete both to do well, but in some ways, as both have admitted themselves, the chasing pack are at a disadvantage, as they don't have the supporter-base or income streams to sustain their recent improvements. I'd predict that for some seasons to come the Cup winners will come from the three top sides in terms of numbers of members and ground capacity - Though admittedly, off the top of my head, I have no idea who they are! But as players get better and command higher wages, could we see managers hording wealth in order to service wage-bills rather than make new signings?

Later, Trev

Mahindinho

State Vice-Captain
Ditto congratulations and thanks to Adam and Mørk respectively. Here's to another great competition next time around.
Ditto. Tritto?

This season seemed to be the year of the under-dog,
Grrrrr ;)

But as players get better and command higher wages, could we see managers hording wealth in order to service wage-bills rather than make new signings?
My big mistake was vastly underestimating how much money I'd have available once FC started, and stopping some players' training earlier than I could. Still, I'm going to be pretty close to expenses=income next season, if not on the wrong side of that line. It's going to be worse for the teams with superstar players, of course.

Could we finally see the transfer market deflating as teams have less disposable cash and more teams start "training for profit"?