• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW Battrick Cup

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
*puts hand up* Was also in the previous Cup.

Would love to see a Group Stage happen with this. Lots of CW quality in there. :)

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think you'll find that Four PIillars & Poor Fillers (Dwyer), and Trevs team (Cymru) were also in the last cup :p

Oh, and Patto, check the CW Battrick XI thead (y)

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
does that mean I lose out on opp to join the cup merely by having not already been in it?
:cry:

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Looks like a group stage is the way to go, despite Tharmi's protests.

Since 35 doesn't go into 4 any meaningful manner (a 6-team group stage is overkill, clearly), there should be a preliminary round with a plate tournament for the teams that are knocked out.

I suggest the following:

*redone after good arguments for an 8 by 4*

Preliminary round:
6 teams - 3 teams eliminated from the tournament. As 28 teams are "returning" from BT Cup 6, this makes good sense. One team drawn by lot to advance.

Group stage:
29 teams given seeds into group stage (based on CW BT Cup 6 performance, cup match duties, and lots if tied)
3 winning teams from preliminary round
8 groups of 4, winners to knockouts. If a seeded team is still BT-cup-tied that match counts as a draw towards the table. (This gives a team an opportunity to qualify even with 1 match off in the BT Cup, possibly even with 2 as attention will be paid to strength of teams when setting up fixture lists for these sides)

No plate competition.

A team will play 6 games to win the cup, which is 1 more than would have been required with a straight knockout.

Last edited:

bugssy

Cricketer Of The Year
Looks like a group stage is the way to go, despite Tharmi's protests.

Since 35 doesn't go into 4 any meaningful manner (a 6-team group stage is overkill, clearly), there should be a preliminary round with a plate tournament for the teams that are knocked out.

However, a 3-team plate seems ridiculous. Thus, I suggest the following:

Preliminary round:
22 teams

Group stage:
13 teams given seeds into group stage (based on CW BT Cup 6 performance, cup match duties, and lots if tied)
11 winning teams from preliminary round
That makes 6 groups of 4. Winners + 2 top runners-up go to quarter-finals. If so desired, can have a bowl and shield competition for the remaining 16 teams. If a seeded team is still BT-cup-tied that match counts as a draw towards the table. (This gives a team an opportunity to qualify even with 1 match off in the BT Cup, possibly even with 2 as attention will be paid to strength of teams when setting up fixture lists for these sides)

Plate tournament:
1 group of 6, 1 group of 5 (with option for a sixth team to join should anyone be interested). Winners meet in final.

This also means that the plate final and the cup final will be held on the same day. A team will play 6 games to win the cup, which is 1 more than would have been required with a straight knockout.
sounds good!

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Could just have six team qualify and have 8 groups of 4...
Problems:

a) tiny, worthless plate competition, meaning 3 teams signed up for 1 game
b) harder to qualify for those guys already in cup (not much, admittedly, but if the "forced draw" is against the best team in the group then you're assured of qualifying with 2 wins - which you needn't be with 8 groups)

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Could just wait till all three sides are out of the BT cup. Also Plate comps have never worked in the past. As soon as most teams are out of the major cup they lose interest. I think it would be even worse with the PFL issues.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Would prefer eight groups of four. Harsh I know, but there's at least three teams that have just started anyway, and can wait I reckon.

EDIT: And personally would only want to be in the real Cup, not the Plate.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Could just wait till all three sides are out of the BT cup. Also Plate comps have never worked in the past. As soon as most teams are out of the major cup they lose interest. I think it would be even worse with the PFL issues.
Would prefer eight groups of four. Harsh I know, but there's at least three teams that have just started anyway, and can wait I reckon.
Fair arguments. *goes to edit again*

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Awesome, good work Hak. :)

Any volunteers for the seeding?
Thought we followed the last cup principle? Those who didn't enter the last cup join the preliminary round. (There's 7, so one can be drawn out randomly.) Similarly, the 8 who got furthest in the last cup get top seed in the group stage.