• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Battrick Commentary

What do you think of the standard of commentary in Battrick?

• Total voters

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
So, so dire. What could be an excellent part of the game is so dreadful that I'm sure no-one really reads it. Just had this in my mate's game.

6 Clark to Louis
Smacked the ball into the head of a small child who had to be taken to hospital!

I mean come on. I spent a good half-hour today submitting my own lines, but more needs to be done.

Any dire pieces from your part? Or awesome ones - they are out there.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
I process some of the commentary lines occasionally, and delete maybe 95% of them. That is why I don't do it more often.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Although it is clearly true and not in fact irrelevant, I went for the Rodgie option

Mahindinho

State Vice-Captain
I'd rate it between superb and mediocre -- respectable sounds about right!

There are a few cringeworthy lines there, and these spoilt the commentary in the early days -- as everyone was going for comedy, you had overs where something wacky happened almost every ball. Now that lots more normal ones have been added, it's a lot better.

I like to be able to imagine Sandwith tonking a straight six or guiding a square cut.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
What annoys me is that people spend their time checking commentary lines at the same time they could be adding a couple of hundred surnames into the Indian name file.

trevor_vayro

U19 Vice-Captain
Aside from the fact that the commentary is far more Benny Hill than Richy Benaud, there are two things which annoy me.

1. The number of times shots hit the stumps at the non-striker's end. I've been playing cricket 17 years now, and I can not recall more than a dozen occasions when this has happened in RL?

2. Lines of commentary which are clearly retrospective rather than ostensibly having been spoken at the time of the event. I can't be bothered finding the exact wording, but that one about a small child being hit in the head and having to be taken to hospital is a good example. At the time the child was hit, how could the commentator know that they'd have to b taken to hospital? Similarly there's the line about the ball being knocked up a drain-pipe and a few minutes later the game carries on.

But all in all, it's a sight more interesting than sitting here watching numbers change on a scorecard!

R_D

International Debutant
They could though... it would be better if we had no more commentary lines for a season while the Indian names were updated.
yeah i'm sick of seeing the same names in pretty much every team. FFS update the database already.... even made a huge least of first names and second names but still, mostly you get those old names.

Some of the commentary is real funny, but some of it just gets bit stupid.
I don't even bother watching it much anyway.

33/3from3.3

International Vice-Captain
About two seasons ago, i had my boundary fielder drinking with the crowd before he takes a marvelous one-handed catch.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
some fool said:
A full toss smeared off the back foot and Overton makes a great stop as the ball bounces inches in front of him. Browne stares at the umpire ... that was almost above his waist.
...for a spinner.

Also had my player playing a reverse-sweep to square-leg the other day. And numerous amounts of poo. Haven't seen any of my commentary pop up. (N)

Olwe

School Boy/Girl Captain
I have had a ball been bowled at me, it hit the stumps but teh bails did not come off and he stayed in

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
A fine cover drive that deserved to be four. Unfortunately a beer glass thrown onto the outfield by a drunken spectator has stopped the ball. Shame.

That is ridiculous.

...he really should have picked that up.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Don't blame it on the ball shine, don't blame it on the great flight, don't blame it on the crease line, blame it on the googly! That's out!

:laugh: